Vito

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 23, 2014
New Jersey
image.jpg

I like it. I like the youth he will have in camp this time around. Problems in the back of course, but it looks like we should be very strong in 4 years with Brooks, Gonzales and Yedlin back there.

Maybe I'm bias but I'd love to see Julian Green make the final squad. A little surprised that Eddie Johnson isn't in the 30 man. I know he's been struggling with his form lately but he's still a threat in the box.

Nothing unexpected. As soon as EJ made those comments about DC it was over for him. Klinsy doesn't take that shit. Green should be number 23 as I'm convinced that was a part of his citizenship agreement. Interested to see how this team will shape out if Chandler is selected (I think he will be) since that will put a ton of pressure on Gonzalez to not be a space cadet. Wouldn't be surprised to see this:

-----------------------Howard-------------------
Chandler ---Cameron----Besler----Johnson
-----------------------Jones----------------------
Zusi/Bedoya -------Bradley--------------Donovan/Bedoya (not convinced Landon is starting)
----------------------Dempsey-------------------
---------------------Altidore/AJ (I think it's up for grabs at this point)

Reactions: BossNYC
Doesn't Gonzales effectily play the old Onyewu role though? Isn't that why he's going to be on the team?

If we could just marry the back line from the last few WCs to the mid-field and forwards of today... We'd have a pretty damn fierce team.

Sounds like Timmy Chandler is in the lead for RB with Cameron moving to CB with Besler. I'm OK with that.

Have to reiterate how excited I am for 2018. Think we could be really good in 2018.

The thought of Chandler starting has been growing on me all week. I think Chandler-Cameron-Besler-F Johnson gives us our best chance to hang in this group. I love the Bundesliga/PL experience and Besler's steady hand.

I am curious if Klinsmann is going to move to a 2 forward formation if Jozy can't produce.

Don't give up on 2014 too fast.

haven't read a lot this past week about what the squad is up to. Did see they went to a Dispatch concert though

What's everyones thought on Landon? I personally am not a fan but I understand that he was an important player for USA from 2002-2010, with that being said I think it is telling about the quality of the team when he is the best player ( he is a fine player but when he is the best player on the squad, the squad is not a top international side) I always said the day he is no longer the best player on the team is the day USMNT has progressed. That day is here, and not because of age, he is only 32 not too old, but because of skill. I am excited for the future as I think the next group will be even better and the 2018 team will be one in which donovan in his prime would not crack first XI.

I think he will come in as an impact sub. I think we need to take a step back and realize, for many reasons, he isn't the best or most important player. For a while, he was the only world class player on the squad. Now you have guys like Bradley, Dempsey and Howard who have been stalwarts at large clubs. I think Klinsmann is an excellent motivator and will get the most of it Donovan - it just might be in a different role.

In his prime, I still think he's the best best winger the US has had in my life time - but maybe some of these young blood guys will overtake him. You forget just how good he was - even in Europe.

I think he will come in as an impact sub. I think we need to take a step back and realize, for many reasons, he isn't the best or most important player. For a while, he was the only world class player on the squad. Now you have guys like Bradley, Dempsey and Howard who have been stalwarts at large clubs. I think Klinsmann is an excellent motivator and will get the most of it Donovan - it just might be in a different role.

In his prime, I still think he's the best best winger the US has had in my life time - but maybe some of these young blood guys will overtake him. You forget just how good he was - even in Europe.

I dont discredit the fact that he was good, just saying that he was never the caliber player that is the face of a strong international side. If we are ever to get to the ranks of spain, argentina, brazil, italy etc then the quality of our top player has to be superior to Landon. I happen to think we are getting closer to that becoming a reality, with the recent focus on youth development and academies we may very see a crop of real world class players in US by the next world cup or the at least by 2022 which coincidently is garbers timeframe for MLS to become world class. That is no coincidence, MLS has invested in infratstructure and player development rather than players salaries for this exact reason. It may all come to fruition in the next 4-8 years. I cant wait

Just throwing this out there....

Landon Donovan has scored 5 goals in the World Cup

That's more than Cristiano Ronaldo (2), Lionel Messi (1), and Wayne Rooney (0) combined

We also are fetching players who are only partially American - that helps