Was Rbnj Our Worst Performance Of The Year?

Tom in Fairfield CT

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Jul 16, 2014
What do you think? Based on performance alone, not necessarily result.

The candidates:
A. RBNJ: up a man for 60 minutes and not only cannot win, but get scored on again.
B. Chicago: Red card on Jacobson, Meara mistake
C. Colorado: Listless draw at altitude
D. Philly away: Loss to terrible team at the end on the Saunders punch to the middle of the box
E. Philly home: Great Ballouchy goal, home draw to awful team.
F. Portland: Home loss
G. Orlando: Late Free kick bounce for tie
H. SKC: home loss on a long throw in
I. Seattle: First loss by more than one.

That's my ranking, what do you think?

Reactions: LostAnvil
I'd rate the Orlando game worse than you did, maybe between the Colorado and Philly games. And for some reason I was more disturbed by the Colorado game than away in Chicago. Stupid red cards and mistakes happen even to good teams, but the overall quality of the Colorado game was abysmal. Otherwise agreed.

Though it is worth remembering that last year NE lost to the red bulls 2-1 after being ahead 1-0 and up a man, so it isn't completely without precedent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
IMHO, it was the worst performance of the year.

As I mentioned in the Matchday thread, you could see in the first few minutes of the match the team was overwhelmed by the occasion. RBNY came out and punched them right in the face from the opening kick off and NYCFC never could recover.

I'm going to be real interested to see how the team reacts to this loss; especially in light of the fact the next five games are against Chicago (H), RSL (A), Houston (H), Philadelphia (A) and Montreal (H)...........IOW matches they should be able to pick up a lot of points.

I'd rate the Orlando game as worse, maybe between the Colorado and Philly games. And for some reason I was more disturbed by the Colorado game than away in Chicago. Stupid red cards and mistakes happen even to good teams, but the overall quality of the Colorado game was abysmal. Otherwise agreed.

Though it is worth remembering that last year NE lost to the red bulls 2-1 after being ahead 1-0 and up a man, so it isn't completely without precedent.

Orlando game can't be worse. First game of the season and the team was so very new. They played a good game given the circumstances. To put it poetically; it was beautifully imperfect.

Colorado was also a game we hated to see end in a draw but still respected. That was the 3rd game and not being fully match fit yet AND playing at altitude, they still kept it even.

We're now 10 games in and granted there have been non-stop lineup changes, injuries and it's all still very new... we were not unreasonable to expect a quality performance vs. NJRB. We did not get that despite the not too damning score line. They were absolutely awful.

I thought it was the first game this year when they looked entirely out-classed. There were select moments in the Seattle game where the talent gap was obvious, but we were second-best the entire match here and it could have gotten really ugly if Miazga hadn't been sent off.

Next five matches are key. Three home games and a really soft schedule. RSL is really the only game in that stretch where we should be happy to get a draw and even they haven't looked that good.

I meant worse than Tom's ranking, not worse than the RBNY game, and edited so that would be more clear - but I'll admit that my expectations were probably too high for that first game.

Here's hoping for some better play and points in the games ahead!

Reactions: roxfontaine
I have trouble separating the cumulative disappointment from the specific ugliness of the RB game, but when I go through Tom's list above, I do think this was the worst on a stand-alone basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Every loss and performance has showed what we have to do better or which changes we should do to the next upcoming game. There's been a lot of rotation in the starting lineup. Some good ones, some not so good. A victory would do so much for the team spirit right now, so we have something to work on and come back from this hard times.

I personally think that the RB game has been the worst up to date.
Such emotions before, during and after the game. A historical game in rivalry. Even here in Sweden in front of the TV you could taste the intensity.
The early goal from RB, the chase for a equalizer. The red card which gave us hope. The offside goal and the early second goal in the second half for RB. Mullins goal and the whistle for 90 minutes.
It was ups and downs all the time, but just on of many rivalry meetings to come.
Next time...NY is blue.

What do you think? Based on performance alone, not necessarily result.

The candidates:
A. RBNJ: up a man for 60 minutes and not only cannot win, but get scored on again.
B. Chicago: Red card on Jacobson, Meara mistake
C. Colorado: Listless draw at altitude
D. Philly away: Loss to terrible team at the end on the Saunders punch to the middle of the box
E. Philly home: Great Ballouchy goal, home draw to awful team.
F. Portland: Home loss
G. Orlando: Late Free kick bounce for tie
H. SKC: home loss on a long throw in
I. Seattle: First loss by more than one.

That's my ranking, what do you think?

Yes. A man advantage and they give up a goal. That's just fucking amateur shit.

Reactions: Classicist
You can really tell how bad this loss hurt everyone, because after the catharsis yesterday morning, this place has been dead.
tomjgpc3nn7vsd5zdrg.gif

Reactions: danger
I hated the Chicago game. Even for playing a man down we looked awful. We were just lucky Chicago was God-awful as well.

Considering the stakes and the fact that no one played with the intensity a derby merits, yes it was easily the worst.
Patrick Mullins disagrees. He played his heart out. He's becoming one of my favorites simply because he does whatever is asked of him and he does it 100% all the time.

Then, he was the last player off the pitch coming over to applaud us supporters.

Patrick Mullins disagrees. He played his heart out. He's becoming one of my favorites simply because he does whatever is asked of him and he does it 100% all the time.

Then, he was the last player off the pitch coming over to applaud us supporters.

I'd rather have players that can play, than a player who exhibits intangibles like "heart".

Reactions: Gavin23
No, not the worst.

Jersey is quality right now. Can't say that about the Colorado or Philly teams.

That said, it was probably the worst for 3 individuals, in my mind.

I'd rather have players that can play, than a player who exhibits intangibles like "heart".
He's got two goals. He makes forward runs. He's about the best we have at this point.

He's no world beater. But I like him. I won't say he is amazing, but he's far from the worst player we have.

He gets into good spots it seems, for both us and at NER. I just think he has some guts. Strikes me as someone who takes it personally to lose. Some of these old fucks don't seem to care too much at all. Their jawing and arm flapping seems to me like people acting how they think they are supposed to act to demonstrate disappointment. Patrick strikes me more as a guy who tightens his jaw and keeps on slugging away.