Way Too Early and May Not Happen Expansion Draft

Without putting much thought into it, my first knee jerk reaction is who other than Villa would be a huge loss to this franchise? Anyone else could easily and would be easily replaced.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
  • Teams get to protect 11 players on the Senior and Supplemental Roster
  • Needs to make a minimum of 3 international players available for the draft. Must have at least 3 on the protection list.

Not Draft Eligible:
  • Harrison (Generation Adidas)
  • Bravo (Loan)
  • Mendoza (Loan/Probably Gone Anyway)
  • Gomez (Loan)
Draft Eligible International (Pick Min 3 on Protection List/Max 7 )
  • Chanot
  • Johansen
  • Lampard
  • Mena
Draft Eligible Domestic
  • Ballouchy
  • Brandt
  • Hernandez
  • McNamara
  • Mullins
  • Rawls
  • Saunders
  • Shelton
  • Taylor
  • White
So who is your protected 11? You should also have two alternates that can be added to the protection list in case, one of our players gets drafted (two in case your alternate is the one that gets drafted).[/QUOTE]

Villa (I)
Pirlo (I)
Allen
Iraola (I)
Matarrita (I)
Diskerud
Lopez
Martinez (I)
Brillant (I)

Not in any particular order. I think these are the must keeps.
  • There's an international spot open if Mena or Chanot end up deserving it.
  • The "don't protect Pirlo b/c no one can take him" people have a point, but I have spare (I) slots and want him on the team next year so I included him
  • McNamara and Shelton probably warrant protection for depth/development
  • How did we get Ethan White to take a 50% pay cut? Is Philly paying half his salary?

Yes, but with the salaries that White/Lopez have, and the restrictions on salary increases MLS has, White and Lopez are actually quite valuable.
sure but we are probably spending allocation dollars to bring this guy in to start at cb for us. you dont spend those resources to let an expansion team take him to protect your fourth best cb and fifth or sixth best midfielder. lopez and white are replacement level players. lopez got cut from skc and white we got for a fourth round draft pick which is pretty worthless. we can replace them alot easier than a starting cb.

You think someone would take Pirlo? I don't think they'd be willing to pay him.

In the unlikely event he doesn't have a no trade clause, I would probably leave him unprotected and dare them to take him. If they did, then he holds out and we throw them some scraps to get him back, or you wish him goodbye and good luck.
i think the other thing is we will have to see what dps are signed by both teams by the draft. seems like atlanta is gunning for 3 dps but i havent any rumors about mufc.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Nice idea. I had been thinking of a thread like this, but thought - as you put it - "way too early"

Still, it's a fun exercise.

Here is a list - with salaries, because comp is a huge part of why someone might be protected or not. It is a good strategy to leave players with big salaries exposed as they are less attractive to the expansion teams and you can have the cap space to find a replacement if one is picked.

Initial Protection
1. Villa ($6mm)
2. Pirlo ($6mm)
3. Iraola ($200k)
4. Matarrita ($175k)
5. Allen ($63k)
6. Lopez ($52k)
7. McNamara ($85k)
8. Shelton ($95k)
9. Ballouchy ($87k)
10. White ($63k)
11. Johansen ($63k)

Second Round (depending on who selected first)
1. Mena ($231k)
2. Taylor ($92)

Exposed
Brandt ($53k), Brillant ($300k), Mix ($761k), Gomez ($52k), Hernandez ($210k), Martinez ($135k), Mullins ($126k), Rawls ($63k), Saunders ($150k), Taylor ($92k), Chanot (???)

My thinking
  • I favored protecting players that are younger and players that are chaper.
  • I assume that Villa and Pirlo have "no trade" clauses and probably protect them regardless. I honestly wonder whether Mix has a clause like that.
  • Iraola is older and expensive, but I think very important to the team.
  • Matarrita is the 4th most expensive player I protected, but he has huge upside and is likely to command a high transfer fee in the next couple of years.
  • I exposed a lot of our central defenders, but remember that we can only lose 2 people max, and with only 20 total picks, might not lose any. Bottom line is that Mena, Brillant, Hernandez and (presumably) Chanot are all rather expensive and if we lose 1-2, we can go buy a replacement.
  • I exposed Saunders over Johansen because of age, but it was a close call to me as Saunders is still rather cheap, and goalkeepers have longer careers.
  • Much of this is going to change based on how the year plays out and whether we exercise our purchase option on any of the players that are currently on loans.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
They do if the toy just led the league in scoring.
I think everyone agrees/knows Villa is a protect lock.

Looking back on when we were on the other side, I don't know why we didn't keep every signing private. Any information about the drafting team available to the protector-team is a massive advantage.

I also like that leilanikali420 brought up a big point that I was going to advocate - let the player's hold the options as a put. No expansion team would have the balls (or lack of brains) to draft someone who could opt out. That means at least Pirlo has no need to be protected.

I'm sure there are rules against teams using the "he's not under contract" to defend a potential draft pick, but I don't think the league can step over the individual player's contractual rights that are granted by a league ratified contract. I could be wrong on that, but I like it, so I'm going with it. (citation needed, but not forthcoming)

Here's what we have so far. Pretty strong support for a top 10 (i.e., through Lopez) and then its a free for all for the last spot. Not surprisingly among this forum, the guys who have 0 votes are Saunders and Hernandez, plus two guys who have essentially never played. I'll update this again if there are more lists submittd.

upload_2016-7-13_14-30-24.png

I assume that Villa and Pirlo have "no trade" clauses and probably protect them regardless. I honestly wonder whether Mix has a clause like that
There seems to be uncertainty among the public as to whether non-DPs are allowed to have no-trade clauses. Note that past draft rules stipulate you must protect DPs with such clauses and are otherwise silent. There's really no other info.

Reactions: adam
There seems to be uncertainty among the public as to whether non-DPs are allowed to have no-trade clauses. Note that past draft rules stipulate you must protect DPs with such clauses and are otherwise silent. There's really no other info.
Omar Gonzalez had a no trade clause in his contract which is why he had to be transfered to another league. He was not a DP last year but bought done with TAM so IDK if that is the best example.

Protect:
1) Villa
2) Mataritta
3) Brilliant
4) Allen
5) McNamara
6) Chanot
7) Iraola
8) Pirlo
9) Mix's replacement
10) Lopez
11) Shelton

12) Johansen
13) Hernandez

-The top5 could be in any order really.
-This is assuming Chanot is a starter for us, if he struggles then i would protect White/Hernandez.
-White is not protected or 12th/13th as i don't see him having much of a role assuming is Chanot is good as our RB depth will be RJ, Iraola, Chanot, Gomez, White and our CB depth will be Brilliant, Chanot, Mena, Hernandez, White.
-Im 90% sure Johansen won't get taken unless he actually starts some matches for us so might as well not protect him.
-We should be able to get a good replacement for Mix that is starting quality (maybe a LW) so if so I would protect them.
-Lopez takes up very little cap space and does a job for our team and he is young so i would protect him, same with Shelton.

I think we are in a decent position with this by the looks of it. There are no players I was thinking oh if only we had another spot to protect them.

sure but we are probably spending allocation dollars to bring this guy in to start at cb for us. you dont spend those resources to let an expansion team take him to protect your fourth best cb and fifth or sixth best midfielder. lopez and white are replacement level players. lopez got cut from skc and white we got for a fourth round draft pick which is pretty worthless. we can replace them alot easier than a starting cb.
Oh, I definitely agree with you there, one of the reasons why I have us protecting him (assuming he doesn't meltdown while he's here).

I just wanted to point out why I also would protect Lopez, and potentially White.

I exposed a lot of our central defenders, but remember that we can only lose 2 people max, and with only 20 total picks, might not lose any. Bottom line is that Mena, Brillant, Hernandez and (presumably) Chanot are all rather expensive and if we lose 1-2, we can go buy a replacement.
Gotham, I agree with much of what you post, here and generally, but not this.

I know it is unlikely, but I don't think you want to be at risk of losing both of your starting CBs. If those are Brillant and Chanot for example, that's a lot to expect to be able to quickly replace in January.

At least one of our starting CBs, and if they finish the season well, I'd say both should be on the protection list.

My 11 (not terribly different from a lot of the others):
  1. Villa
  2. Pirlo
  3. Mata
  4. Brillant
  5. Chanot
  6. Iraola
  7. Mix/replacement
  8. Allen
  9. TMac
  10. Shelton
  11. Lopez
1-6 for quality (assuming success with Chanot). 7 b/c whichever is in that slot at season end has to factor into plans for 2017 with Frank gone. 8-11 young, cheap and upside. Extras:
  1. TT99
  2. Martinez
Again, young and cheap with upside. I'd be comfortable with TT taking Shelton's spot in the 11. Or probably any combo of the last 2 in the 11 and the 2 extras.

expansion draft confirmed for next year at minnisota annoucement so this should get a bump.

one interesting fact i learned today was that we and orlando city got allocation money from ne for not picking diego fagundez who was unprotected

expansion draft confirmed for next year at minnisota annoucement so this should get a bump.

one interesting fact i learned today was that we and orlando city got allocation money from ne for not picking diego fagundez who was unprotected
Who gave you that bit of info?