What does a Brexit mean for NYCFC?

Not NYCFC related, but now a lot of the US players with EU passports aren't going to make the cut of 75% int appearances that allows them a work permit in England/Scotland..... Hyndman, Miazga, Kitchen, Tim Ream, Danny Williams, Gedion Zelalem could all have issues playing in England.

Cameron and Yedlin will be safe because they are full internationals/starters.

What if they send them out on loan? I figure Chelsea was looking to loan Miazga anyways, but who knows.

Don't mean to rain on the thread...but there will be no economic impact effecting NYCFC. The markets are reactionary. Any unbiased expert will tell you the drop was expected. An EU exit will take several years before it's complete.

I know its my choice to visit this site and read this thread...but i don't think it's in the best interest of this site to post political opinions. There are plenty of other outlets to discuss that. The problem is politics can divide more than sports can. I can't deal with lemmings posting shit they don't even know about.

Please don't bring this crap here.

Reactions: Kjbert
What if they send them out on loan? I figure Chelsea was looking to loan Miazga anyways, but who knows.
Whats the point of being part of a club that you're not able to be a part of? Might as well sign directly with the club you're being loaned to.

I did ready that the players in country & on contract are likely safe and grandfathered in.... it's those that aren't there that will have the problem. The next issue is what happens after the current contracts run out - are they kicked to the curb, or are the still grandfathered in?

Don't mean to rain on the thread...but there will be no economic impact effecting NYCFC. The markets are reactionary. Any unbiased expert will tell you the drop was expected. An EU exit will take several years before it's complete.

I know its my choice to visit this site and read this thread...but i don't think it's in the best interest of this site to post political opinions. There are plenty of other outlets to discuss that. The problem is politics can divide more than sports can. I can't deal with lemmings posting shit they don't even know about.

Please don't bring this crap here.
Nobody is championing the Stay-or-Go positions, so this is not a political discussion at all. People are discussing the ramifications that may affect NYCFC with regard to the global transfer market and the value of the pound versus the dollar. How the decision will affect players. Again, nothing is political with that.

Nobody is championing the Stay-or-Go positions, so this is not a political discussion at all. People are discussing the ramifications that may affect NYCFC with regard to the global transfer market and the value of the pound versus the dollar. How the decision will affect players. Again, nothing is political with that.

I understand that...but when I see someone posting a Trump tweet and a Taylor reply back it starts going down that path. Politics can breed hate. Nobody here knows who supports what...but we all support the club. Let's keep it to that. I don't mind the original discussion...just a cautionary warning. All good.

Not NYCFC related, but now a lot of the US players with EU passports aren't going to make the cut of 75% int appearances that allows them a work permit in England/Scotland..... Hyndman, Miazga, Kitchen, Tim Ream, Danny Williams, Gedion Zelalem could all have issues playing in England.

Cameron and Yedlin will be safe because they are full internationals/starters.

Well, it will be a couple of years before this plays out, and I strongly suspect that as the work permit rules change in England, the FA will adapt its eligibility rules in turn. It could ultimately be a net win for U.S. players; if EU players lose automatic eligibility, the FA may relax the rules more universally, leveling the playing field.

I understand that...but when I see someone posting a Trump tweet and a Taylor reply back it starts going down that path. Politics can breed hate. Nobody here knows who supports what...but we all support the club. Let's keep it to that. I don't mind the original discussion...just a cautionary warning. All good.
100% agree. I've seen too many team forums fall apart when they start discussing politics and current events.

Reactions: NickA
I'm with you, I intentionally left all political stances out of the original post for that reason.

Let's keep this focused on the team. There are real topics that can affect the team with the Brexit, loans and salaries affecting transfers, the chance that CFG has to invest their money in New York real estate, the Premier League possibly poaching Latin American players, even how MLS will react in the next few years if work visas become an issue in the UK.

Lots to discuss either way without getting into what side of the aisle we're on here.

Reactions: NickA and Kjbert
Graeme Bailey on SiriusXM:

"If the pound keeps dropping it's going to cause Premier League clubs millions more to buy players in the transfer market"

"It may be easier for EPL clubs to sign South American players because they are no longer subject to EU work permits"
Not sure this guy is aware that the old standards for getting a work permit in England was having played in 75% of a countries competitive matches over a three year period.... that would also apply to South American players just as it applies to players from the EU, America, etc.

I'm with you, I intentionally left all political stances out of the original post for that reason.

Let's keep this focused on the team. There are real topics that can affect the team with the Brexit, loans and salaries affecting transfers, the chance that CFG has to invest their money in New York real estate, the Premier League possibly poaching Latin American players, even how MLS will react in the next few years if work visas become an issue in the UK.

Lots to discuss either way without getting into what side of the aisle we're on here.
But none of that can be discussed until the terms of the exit are known, so at this time its nothing but speculation,.

Well, it will be a couple of years before this plays out, and I strongly suspect that as the work permit rules change in England, the FA will adapt its eligibility rules in turn. It could ultimately be a net win for U.S. players; if EU players lose automatic eligibility, the FA may relax the rules more universally, leveling the playing field.
This is also how I see it. Many news outlets covering about the impact of the Brexit on the EPL completely ignore that the rules might just change as to not spoil the entertainment for the masses.

Reactions: Goodfella
Biggest issue will be around work visas. You will have a flood of players on the international market that won't be able to play in the EPL - the richest league in the world.

Whether that trickles down to the U.S. will depend on whether new dollars find their way to Germany as an example. The Bundesliga could become the new EPL.

Reactions: Ulrich
Biggest issue will be around work visas. You will have a flood of players on the international market that won't be able to play in the EPL - the richest league in the world.

Whether that trickles down to the U.S. will depend on whether new dollars find their way to Germany as an example. The Bundesliga could become the new EPL.

This is ridiculous - barring some truly spectacular V For Vendetta shit in the next few years, there's no way that any new government is going to bar Premier League quality players from entering the UK. No-one knows what visa changes will eventually be agreed, but the 'new' system will most likely be almost identical to the current one, with some modifications for unskilled workers.

Brexit is likely to trigger some sort of recession in the UK. If that becomes prolonged, and sterling stays depressed then it could hypothetically knock the purchasing power of some English clubs. But given that most clubs have international ownership and/or derive huge parts of their income from overseas, I doubt it'll have much impact in the short or even medium-term. English clubs stopped paying attention to real-world economics years ago.

Last edited:
The reason why the Brexit will not have an impact on NYCFC is that there isn't going to be a full Brexit. There's already a significant amount of regret among those who felt they were duped into a leave vote. The UK and EU will negotiate new terms that will keep the UK as a quasi-EU member, with the most significant change being greater autonomy for Britain in regards to their immigration policies.

You heard it here first. Brexit ain't happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: thesauerchise
The reason why the Brexit will not have an impact on NYCFC is that there isn't going to be a full Brexit. There's already a significant amount of regret among those who felt they were duped into a leave vote. The UK and EU will negotiate new terms that will keep the UK as a quasi-EU member, with the most significant change being greater autonomy for Britain in regards to their immigration policies.

You heard it here first. Brexit ain't happening.
Anybody who claims today to know how this will play out long term is fooling themselves and everyone else. You are very correct in your analysis and there are many variables that will take years to sort out. It is even possible a set of new EU terms leads to a second vote.

Thus the effect on NYCFC in the near term is probably nil as change will take years.

Reactions: joe and mgarbowski