When Is The First Chance Nycfc Can Bring In Decent Quality Mls Players?

Gentile

Registered
Feb 2, 2015
If we bring in who we are rumoured to bring in as a DP that will be huge, but we still need better quality throughout the roster.

When and how can we go about this? Can we start trading in the summer? (don't know who would be stupid enough to take a lot of the crap we have but hey ho).

Do we have to wait till the season is over and some of the better players are out of contract, or can we offer Garber bucks for some guys this summer?
Or can we do a Poku and bring in some quality from NASL in the transfer window?

We seriously lack depth and quality even if we get the players we are rumoured to bring in.

Also, if we can bring in quite a few more players are any of you guys worried about starting again with chemistry building this far into the season, or are you okay writing this one off for a great start next?

I think we are starting to do that. I bet the roster turnover is 50% by the close of tbe July transfer window next year.

Realistically, going on experience rather than knowledge or intuition, I'd say the end of the season is when the real changes will happen. I could see a good dozen players on the roster leaving and being replaced. If you're talking in terms of signing DP-quality players from Europe, though, then probably next summer. Can't see many of them moving in the middle of their seasons.

Always expect majority of MLS movement in winter and majority of Euro/other moves in summer.

Not at all worried about chemistry. So far we have 4 positions we expect to turn over: Lampard Pirlo (please please please) Iraola and Angelino. Three of those are veterans and will very quickly pick up. The talent improvement is massive as is the game knowledge. Angelino is the only one who will be new to jumping into and learning a new system and new players. But that's manageable.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's hard because the MLS doesn't have free agency. The only way to get other MLS players is to trade for them (which as you point out we have limited assets) or sign them after they are cut by their current team (Then they are probably not good). I think finding players like Poku is hard and the team did a great job finding him. Unfortunately the options for finding non-DP level players are extremely limited and its just going to take time, reasonably 1-2 years at best. Options are:

1. International scouting which is hit or miss (see: Mendoza) and limited by the # of international slots
2. Signings from lower leagues hard but possible: Poku
3. American players (Superdraft, trades, or the silly allocation order) all slow options
4. Loans from Man city (Facey, Angelino) NYCFC can get up to 4

Hence the most important long term project to watch: our academy.

A graduating homegrown or three each offseason would be niiiice.
As of now the highest age group of the academy is U14, correct? Meaning we're several years away from getting graduates who might play on the big boy team, unless there's some time-compression technology (or somethign else) I'm unaware of.

As of now the highest age group of the academy is U14, correct? Meaning we're several years away from getting graduates who might play on the big boy team, unless there's some time-compression technology (or somethign else) I'm unaware of.

The kid that was just voted Gatorade player of the year plays for one of our youth sides. But since it's not an academy, we can't claim him, right?

The kid that was just voted Gatorade player of the year plays for one of our youth sides. But since it's not an academy, we can't claim him, right?

I don't think we know yet. Dallas had a player in an affiliate club count as a HGP, so there's a chance. But there are requirements for how long they played for certain clubs and they have to maintain some level of training with the club to keep their status, I think.

So more than likely he doesn't count, unfortunately. Unless Garber helps us out.

Reactions: Kjbert
How the fuck do you know stuff like this? I think I'm an obsessed fan because I click refresh on New Posts every 30 seconds. But I don't have the first clue how to find info like that.

Are there any players we could realistically get that are not RSL rejects in MLS if we offered various things ie players, Garbers bucks, allocation orders etc?

For example if we wanted somebody like Fagundez (sp). who is not first choice at Revs right now but is still valued, how could you realistically get somebody at that level in the position we are in?
DC United a year or so ago after finishing bottom managed to get a load of decent MLS players in so how can we do the same?

How the fuck do you know stuff like this? I think I'm an obsessed fan because I click refresh on New Posts every 30 seconds. But I don't have the first clue how to find info like that.
So I'm not the only one who is an obsessive clicker?!?!?! Whewwww!!!!!:rolleyes:

Are there any players we could realistically get that are not RSL rejects in MLS if we offered various things ie players, Garbers bucks, allocation orders etc?

I think our allocation order is pretty low after getting Mix so probably not all that valuable to trade.

How many Garber bucks do we even have to spend or is that some top secret amount that nobody knows about?

I think our allocation order is pretty low after getting Mix so probably not all that valuable to trade.

How many Garber bucks do we even have to spend or is that some top secret amount that nobody knows about?

Can you trade allocation spots?

The whole way you Americans do your transfers is bonkers to us Brits.
You get to pick from the crap no one wanted ,then get to swap your crap that you don't want,which makes them double crap.for another team crap they don't want !
It's not necessarily an American thing. The cap is why assets have to be traded as opposed to just sending just cash like how it's done else where.

It's not necessarily an American thing. The cap is why assets have to be traded as opposed to just sending just cash like how it's done else where.

A number of other leagues have caps, but only in the US is there a system where you have to trade, you can't buy. In the Australian A-League, for example, they have a cap which is half the size of that of MLS, but they have full free agency and clubs are free to use their own money on transfer fees. In practice, of course, how it usually works is players only sign for a couple of seasons and most transfers happen when players are released by their club, but still, there's no trading.