When Is The First Chance Nycfc Can Bring In Decent Quality Mls Players?

A number of other leagues have caps, but only in the US is there a system where you have to trade, you can't buy. In the Australian A-League, for example, they have a cap which is half the size of that of MLS, but they have full free agency and clubs are free to use their own money on transfer fees. In practice, of course, how it usually works is players only sign for a couple of seasons and most transfers happen when players are released by their club, but still, there's no trading.
So in Australia the transfer fee is completely separate than the cap? In MLS, only 3 transfers are excempt (the DPs).

So in Australia the transfer fee is completely separate than the cap? In MLS, only 3 transfers are excempt (the DPs).

I'm not certain, but realistically no-one under the cap is bought anyway, they are signed on a free. If clubs wanted to, they could buy a player off another team, it just doesn't really happen.

Technically the A-League also operates as a single entity model, but there's no drafts, no allocation order, no discovery system, and so on. Teams are just free to negotiate with who they want, and the league doesn't make any attempt to stop several clubs from fighting over the same player. It's also more common in Australia for unwanted players to have their contracts terminated early, allowing them to move to other clubs in the middle of the season.

It's not necessarily an American thing. The cap is why assets have to be traded as opposed to just sending just cash like how it's done else where.
Considering its supposed to be the land of the free you yanks sure like to complicate your sports drafts,picks,trades,dp etc etc

Hold on, are we discussing cap restrictions or transfer mechanics?

The one fuels the other - and you mentioned both the cap and trades/transfers in the post I first responded to, so I addressed both. Because of the cap, and the DP/marquee exceptions to the rule, transfers work one way for DPs and another way for non-DPs.

At the end of the day, though, my point was that even though other leagues operate with similar constraints as MLS, but MLS (and other American leagues, I guess) are the only ones to operate the trade system for transfers between clubs.

I'm not sure about other clubs in other leagues but soccer here especially has a rich tradition of clubs and whole leagues going out of business due to over spending and lack of control. The newer system that MLS current employs has created the strongest, longest lasting and most stable in the history of U.S./Canada pro soccer.

For better or worse, it works.