Will this effect us? (Yankees Ticketing issue)

Yeah exactly - who cares what the fans think? And how dare they try and take a loss on the tickets they already purchased from the team at full value?
That's what I don't understand - The Yankees already made their money off of full-priced ticket sales.... why should they care if a ticket holder wants to try and recoup pennies/nickles/dimes on the dollar to a game they can't attend????

That's kind of like saying customers need to share some responsibility when ConEd fleeces them while still selectively deciding which areas are important enough (or not) during rolling brown/black-outs.

It's not at all like saying that.

Admit it -- you don't believe this and you were just being contrary.

You think a monopoly utility that provides heat and electricity is the same as an entertainment product? Sports fans have an option to vote no with their wallets in a way that utility customers do not.

It's not at all like saying that.

Admit it -- you don't believe this and you were just being contrary.

You think a monopoly utility that provides heat and electricity is the same as an entertainment product? Sports fans have an option to vote no with their wallets in a way that utility customers do not.
No, I wasn't being contrary. Sports and fandom is wired into the human psyche and is as old as time - Roman Colosseum et al, or theater if that's your thing. It's easy to say people should vote with their wallets and not attend but when they grow up with a team and it's part of their family tradition and psyche, just saying don't go is being completely idealistic. As far as ConEd, yep, everybody has to play ball, but there are ways to take the medicine and make it not bad - seal your windows, change to CFL/LED bulbs, and have energy star appliances, and the bill is completely reasonable - that's what I did and I pay a fraction each month compared to friends and family.

That's what I don't understand - The Yankees already made their money off of full-priced ticket sales.... why should they care if a ticket holder wants to try and recoup pennies/nickles/dimes on the dollar to a game they can't attend????
Because then you have fans buying tickets from others, instead of at full value from the team. It drives down the value of their tickets and costs the team a ton of money.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Because then you have fans buying tickets from others, instead of at full value from the team. It drives down the value of their tickets and costs the team a ton of money.
how does it drive down the price of the ticket if the ticket was already sold by the Yankees and full face value?

-edit- Teams so not make their profit off of tickets. They make their profit off of concessions. SO it's in the Yankees best interest to have butts in the seats buying concessions and if that happens to be a result of a resold ticket for less than face-value, then that's better than somebody not even showing up because their schedule conflicted.

how does it drive down the price of the ticket if the ticket was already sold by the Yankees and full face value?

-edit- Teams so not make their profit off of tickets. They make their profit off of concessions. SO it's in the Yankees best interest to have butts in the seats buying concessions and if that happens to be a result of a resold ticket for less than face-value, then that's better than somebody not even showing up because their schedule conflicted.
If fans go to stubub first, which has become an issue for all sports leagues (the NBA did a study showing basically that stubhub hurts ticket values) and are usually able to buy a cheap ticket, they do not end up going to the team site and buy a full price ticket.

Sorry to seem like I'm picking on you, but how do you figure that teams don't make their profits off of ticket sales? Forbes estimated that the Yankees generated $269m of their $508m of revenues in 2014 from ticket sales. Given that the player salaries are the biggest expense and they are 100% fixed, the ticket revenue is practically 100% incremental profit.

If Stubhub pressures pricing down and the Yankees have to lower their ticket prices because people stop buying them direct from the Yankees, that lost ticket revenue is practically 100% lost profits. Every $1 increase in ticket revenue is a $1 increase in profit, and the opposite is true as well.

FWIW, you may be thinking about movie theaters, which don't make a whole lot of money on ticket sales, as the distributors and studios get more than half the gate for the first week or two of most movies.

Sorry to seem like I'm picking on you, but how do you figure that teams don't make their profits off of ticket sales? Forbes estimated that the Yankees generated $269m of their $508m of revenues in 2014 from ticket sales. Given that the player salaries are the biggest expense and they are 100% fixed, the ticket revenue is practically 100% incremental profit.

If Stubhub pressures pricing down and the Yankees have to lower their ticket prices because people stop buying them direct from the Yankees, that lost ticket revenue is practically 100% lost profits. Every $1 increase in ticket revenue is a $1 increase in profit, and the opposite is true as well.

FWIW, you may be thinking about movie theaters, which don't make a whole lot of money on ticket sales, as the distributors and studios get more than half the gate for the first week or two of most movies.
First, I don't feel like you're picking on me. I just don't agree with what you're saying, and oviously you don't agree with what I'm saying. It's a fair discussion.

Of course they make money off of ticket sales but they make more off of concessions and merchandise bought during the game. While the upper echelon of tickets generates a lot of revenue, the majority of the seats in a stadium are priced below the median price of a ticket. The people sitting in these seats will typically spend as much (or more) in soft costs (food/merch) as they do on the actual ticket, and some will spend a tremendous amount more.

So that takes me to one of my original points - the Yankees don't want the price of a ticket to be less than face value, and the Yankees have already made their money off of Buyer A, who paid face value, and yet Buyer A now has a work event and can't go to the game, so he/she wants to recoup some of what was paid and sell the ticket below face value. The Yankees haven't lost ANY money with this transaction, and in fact they will have gained money.... because instead of Buyer A not using the ticket and the seat goes empty (thus no soft purchases), Buyer A sells to Buyer B and now there's a butt in the seat and automatic soft sales. It is a win for the Yankees, not a loss. If Buyer A has to sell the ticket for at least face value, Buyer B may not want to pay it and there's no transaction to be had - again, no soft sales and the Yankees have only made money off of the original transaction and not been able to double it.

I'm not sure how StubHub changes any of that equation since they're only dealing with the secondary market, and as I point out, it's the secondary market that helps to ensure butts in the seats resulting in guaranteed soft purchases.

First, I don't feel like you're picking on me. I just don't agree with what you're saying, and oviously you don't agree with what I'm saying. It's a fair discussion.

Of course they make money off of ticket sales but they make more off of concessions and merchandise bought during the game. While the upper echelon of tickets generates a lot of revenue, the majority of the seats in a stadium are priced below the median price of a ticket. The people sitting in these seats will typically spend as much (or more) in soft costs (food/merch) as they do on the actual ticket, and some will spend a tremendous amount more.

So that takes me to one of my original points - the Yankees don't want the price of a ticket to be less than face value, and the Yankees have already made their money off of Buyer A, who paid face value, and yet Buyer A now has a work event and can't go to the game, so he/she wants to recoup some of what was paid and sell the ticket below face value. The Yankees haven't lost ANY money with this transaction, and in fact they will have gained money.... because instead of Buyer A not using the ticket and the seat goes empty (thus no soft purchases), Buyer A sells to Buyer B and now there's a butt in the seat and automatic soft sales. It is a win for the Yankees, not a loss. If Buyer A has to sell the ticket for at least face value, Buyer B may not want to pay it and there's no transaction to be had - again, no soft sales and the Yankees have only made money off of the original transaction and not been able to double it.

I'm not sure how StubHub changes any of that equation since they're only dealing with the secondary market, and as I point out, it's the secondary market that helps to ensure butts in the seats resulting in guaranteed soft purchases.
It comes down to the math. How many of the buyer b's in your above scenario will end up buying a face value ticket from the Yankees if they don't see what they want on stub hub? My guess, an overwhelming majority. Sure some people may scout stubhub just to find a great deal with no intention of paying full price, but my guess is that the majority of stubhub buyers are just checking to see before buying tickets to a game they have already decided to go to if anything cheaper is available before buying tickets. So when buyer b can't buy buyer a's $50 ticket for $25, he pays full price for tickets and then still makes the $20 soft purchases at the game. The team makes $120 instead of $70. So the question becomes will the team find the right combination of buyer b's turning around and buy tickets from the team, and buyer a either sucking it up or giving the tickets to family or friends to make the price floor make sense? My guess is overwhelmingly yes.

For your last point, a secondary market always impacts the price of the goods in the primary market, especially when both markets are open to most of the same people.

It comes down to the math. How many of the buyer b's in your above scenario will end up buying a face value ticket from the Yankees if they don't see what they want on stub hub? My guess, an overwhelming majority. Sure some people may scout stubhub just to find a great deal with no intention of paying full price, but my guess is that the majority of stubhub buyers are just checking to see before buying tickets to a game they have already decided to go to if anything cheaper is available before buying tickets. So when buyer b can't buy buyer a's $50 ticket for $25, he pays full price for tickets and then still makes the $20 soft purchases at the game. The team makes $120 instead of $70. So the question becomes will the team find the right combination of buyer b's turning around and buy tickets from the team, and buyer a either sucking it up or giving the tickets to family or friends to make the price floor make sense? My guess is overwhelmingly yes.

For your last point, a secondary market always impacts the price of the goods in the primary market, especially when both markets are open to most of the same people.
In your scenario, you're assuming the Yankees haven't sold out their game - in mine, I have assumed they have. That seems to be the difference.

To your last point, I guess you have zero experience with the Auction Houses.....

In your scenario, you're assuming the Yankees haven't sold out their game - in mine, I have assumed they have. That seems to be the difference.
The thing is, the yanks only truly sellout a handful of games per season, and those games are in demand enough to drive secondary ticket prices up. If they sold out every game, you right, perhaps we wouldn't be seeing this move.

Reactions: Ulrich
Out of curiosity I checked MLB's website and they say that the Yankees averaged 80% capacity in 2015

Out of curiosity I checked MLB's website and they say that the Yankees averaged 80% capacity in 2015
Perhaps because their prices are too high.... nah, can't be that.....

I was just reading the stadium thread and noticed the post about the bronx pres supporting stubhub in the print at home issue and I had a hmmmmm moment. Maybe this is effecting us, the print at home is supposed to be available 14 days before the game, it wasn't for sunday's match, and isn't for the friday match against orlando. When I contacted the club, I was told there was an issue with ticketmaster and it would be back up soon, which it was the next day. For the orlando game you should have been able to print last friday, still not available,after contacting the club again, instead of answering my email, I received a phone message that it would be available "in a couple of days", and I should call if that was a problem. Here we are 10 days out and no print at home hmmmmmm. Just saying.

I was just reading the stadium thread and noticed the post about the bronx pres supporting stubhub in the print at home issue and I had a hmmmmm moment. Maybe this is effecting us, the print at home is supposed to be available 14 days before the game, it wasn't for sunday's match, and isn't for the friday match against orlando. When I contacted the club, I was told there was an issue with ticketmaster and it would be back up soon, which it was the next day. For the orlando game you should have been able to print last friday, still not available,after contacting the club again, instead of answering my email, I received a phone message that it would be available "in a couple of days", and I should call if that was a problem. Here we are 10 days out and no print at home hmmmmmm. Just saying.
I downloaded a ticket for printing for the opener no problem yesterday. Or are you saying they are being made available, just fewer than 14 days out?

I guess in the long run it really isn't much to get excited about, but still I can't help but wonder wtf is going on with Ticketmaster and the club?

For at least the first couple of weeks there was a terrible delay in mailing out hard tickets last year, so I opted for the print at home the rest of the season.

When tickets went on sale this year, there was a problem with the pick your own seats option (disabled seating wasn't showing up at all).

Now there's a problem with the print at home option?

Everybody I've dealt with from Ticketmaster and NYCFC have been very helpful, but c'mon man, get your shit together. The whole idea of a Ticketmaster set up is to make it easier to but tickets, not harder. Isn't that why we pay all those effing "Convenience Charges"?

I downloaded a ticket for printing for the opener no problem yesterday. Or are you saying they are being made available, just fewer than 14 days out?
You cannot print the Orlando game yet, and it is less than 2 weeks away (9 days). You also cannot transfer them, so I don't think it's just a move away from print at home. You can sell them on the official exchange. That's it.

Reactions: joe
You cannot print the Orlando game yet, and it is less than 2 weeks away (9 days). You also cannot transfer them, so I don't think it's just a move away from print at home. You can sell them on the official exchange. That's it.
Gotcha. Thanks.

It says on the account manager that you can print 14 days before the match, last year was ten days.

Reactions: Goodfella