With The Context Of The Lampard Deal, Is Anyone Worried About Villa's?

doctorhoosier

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Nov 13, 2014
Connecticut
Now that we know that this Lampard situation is FUBAR, it's making me look a bit more critically at the run-up to how we got here.

I remember that people thought it was odd that Lampard wasn't represented on the MLS' Players Union's salary dump in September. You can find that here.

It was odd - Lamps had been stated to have a DP contract, and he wasn't represented with the rest of the roster. We should likely have known something was up at this point.

Look again at those numbers, and note that David Villa is listed as having a base salary for 2014 of $60,000. That's enough to have him on the books, but isn't enough to fit his designated player contract. It's obnoxiously low for a player of his caliber, and, frankly, can't be the full amount of his contract.

What gives? Where's the rest of that money? Was it paid out by Melbourne FC, or are there similar contractual shenanigans going on here?

I don't think that MCFC would pull a similar stunt as they have with Lampard, but the lack of transparency on his contract makes me concerned that they're within their rights to do so.

OP isn't talking about Villa's commitment to NYCFC, he's talking about his contract structure and looking for patterns in the way CFG is operating. I think it's a legitimate concern and big red flag that Villa's MLS salary is listed at just $60k. Something has to be up with that.

I'm not expecting CFG to try and screw around with Villa at all, but it's still worth it to dig around and find out exactly what's going on with Villa as well.

As for what IS going on, I have no idea.

He got 60,000...for last year. He didn't kick a ball in MLS last year.

It was peobably part of the agreement, maybe MLS was paying for housing for Villa in NYC as per the contract.

Reactions: Kjbert
He got 60,000...for last year. He didn't kick a ball in MLS last year.

It was peobably part of the agreement, maybe MLS was paying for housing for Villa in NYC as per the contract.
I initially thought that, too, but look at Kaka's contract. Same situation, but Kaka's listed as $6,660,000.00.

You'll also notice that Jacobsen and Watson-Siriboe are both making more than Villa on those numbers.

So I think that's what they've signed for, and not just compensation for the 2014 season.

I initially thought that, too, but look at Kaka's contract. Same situation, but Kaka's listed as $6,660,000.00.

You'll also notice that Jacobsen and Watson-Siriboe are both making more than Villa on those numbers.

So I think that's what they've signed for, and not just compensation for the 2014 season.
The rest of his money is probably coming from "personal services" to CFG for now. I'd suspect that they run all "non-football" expenses through the parent company. Something along the lines of CFG picks up all living expenses, NYCFC pays him $10k a month in play money to buy sneakers and shit for the 6 months he's signed but not playing. Then starting around now, he moves fully onto NYC books and under his "playing" contract.

The other, darker way of looking at it (from a Melbourne perspective) is that what is reported is the remainder after Melbourne picks up their share of his wages for last year for him being a loan player.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
The rest of his money is probably coming from "personal services" to CFG for now. I'd suspect that they run all "non-football" expenses through the parent company. Something along the lines of CFG picks up all living expenses, NYCFC pays him $10k a month in play money to buy sneakers and shit for the 6 months he's signed but not playing. Then starting around now, he moves fully onto NYC books and under his "playing" contract.

The other, darker way of looking at it (from a Melbourne perspective) is that what is reported is the remainder after Melbourne picks up their share of his wages for last year for him being a loan player.
Do we have any confirmation of these personal services contracts existing? I haven't seen that, but the situation you're describing would make sense.

Hey, fair enough.
I thought that the question was significant enough to ask with the known context that these contracts are a bit screwy.

I'll level and as i am here to learn, i am happy to listen.

Seems to me the whole MLS wages and registration scenario is screwy. If a player's registration is held with the MLS and not the individual club, then to me, it sounds like one giant TPO system in operation.
I can see the DP and their wages being higher and yes Villa looks under paid but some of those guys on $30,000, how do they live?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I'll level and as i am here to learn, i am happy to listen.

Seems to me the whole MLS wages and registration scenario is screwy. If a player's registration is held with the MLS and not the individual club, then to me, it sounds like one giant TPO system in operation.
I can see the DP and their wages being higher and yes Villa looks under paid but some of those guys on $30,000, how do they live?
Those 30k wages are actually accurate, and that's a major topic for the CBA. The contracts for those at the bottom tier are far, far too low.

Reactions: Paul