Yaya Toure to set to come to NYCFC?

As a non-DP, sure.

However, why are we making decisions about the summer transfer window today anyway? I don't want to lock up $500k in cap money to hold open a spot for a player we may or may not need. Say Villa goes down and we already "spent" our extra money on Yaya when we really should be targeting a summer striker.

The only explanation I can think of is that they need considerable lead time to order all the birthday cakes that will be required to keep him fully motivated.

Reactions: Kjbert
All in for Yaya as a non-DP. If we're going to be complaining about not scoring goals, we cannot argue with bringing in a scoring mid, as well as another DP playmaker. My only question would be Why would Yaya do this? He's got all the money he could really want -- why take 1/25 your salary to play in NYC? Maybe he just wants to play regularly?

Reactions: Kjbert and Fake Jew
If you don't LOVE Yaya as a non dp you're nuts. If the club ads an additional DP as a striker, keeps Ring, mata and Herrera then you really have a cup winning team. Also chanot, callens and Struna..
The things Yaya could do with a ball would make any midfielder in he league sub par. However, I don't think he could be as effective without support there. I trust him to make the right play if pressured but I don't trust him to ever get back on defense consistently. Which is why the likes of TMac, white, and Sweat can't be in the starting 11 picture if we bring him in to run our midfield.

Reactions: Schwallacus
All in for Yaya as a non-DP. If we're going to be complaining about not scoring goals, we cannot argue with bringing in a scoring mid, as well as another DP playmaker. My only question would be Why would Yaya do this? He's got all the money he could really want -- why take 1/25 your salary to play in NYC? Maybe he just wants to play regularly?
I think it comes down to where could he go after this season where he would be happy.

If you don't LOVE Yaya as a non dp you're nuts. If the club ads an additional DP as a striker, keeps Ring, mata and Herrera then you really have a cup winning team. Also chanot, callens and Struna..
The things Yaya could do with a ball would make any midfielder in he league sub par. However, I don't think he could be as effective without support there. I trust him to make the right play if pressured but I don't trust him to ever get back on defense consistently. Which is why the likes of TMac, white, and Sweat can't be in the starting 11 picture if we bring him in to run our midfield.

So what you're saying is that he would need specific players around him at all times to cover for his defensive limitations. Sounds familiar.

Reactions: The Toe
Sounds familiar.

Sorry just realized I dupped your comment 6 min later. This whole thing is like deja vu, except with a different set of forum members. It's like we swapped the posters and the name Yaya for Pirlo and continued the same exact discussion. The most insane part is that some of the pro Yaya people were strongly anti Pirlo yet blinded by the chance to get their guy they are completely unaware they are doing the same thing they just spent a year arguing with the Pirlo people for doing.

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2017/11/15/news-yaya-toure-linked-nycfc

Just saw that Yaya may come in as a non-DP. Can't see how that works for Yaya unless we are paying him in celebratory desserts, but how does that change things for y'all?

I suppose it depends how much allocation money we'd be using to bring his salary down, which we would probably never know. If his budget charge was under 400K, no allocation money used, I could see myself getting excited about this. For a season.
$350k salary plus every morning a Cronut with a single candle & an espresso. Done.

Sorry just realized I dupped your comment 6 min later. This whole thing is like deja vu, except with a different set of forum members. It's like we swapped the posters and the name Yaya for Pirlo and continued the same exact discussion. The most insane part is that some of the pro Yaya people were strongly anti Pirlo yet blinded by the chance to get their guy they are completely unaware they are doing the same thing they just spent a year arguing with the Pirlo people for doing.
I'm looking at quality for $$$. Pirlo wasn't worth the $$ we spent on him. I think if we bring in Yaya as a non dp he will be worth it. Despite some deficiencies. Ring, great defender, shit goal scorer. Herrera, good defender but hasn't made his presence felt in the final third to say he's a good attacking mid. Are we harping on either of them for being good at one thing and a liability at another? We pretty much averaged 1 goal a game for the second half of the season. Villa scored just about all of them. So do we bring in a midfielder that will defend well or can pick out passes and maybe score 10+ a season? Sorry but we have wingers that aren't scoring, midfielders that aren't scoring and DP's that haven't been scoring so I'm all aboard the Lampard train here in allowing Yaya to come over as a non dp and score some fucking goals for a change. If he comes here and isn't committed I'll eat my words but I wouldn't compare him to Pirlo. He has more legs under him and is still a goal scorer.

Fact: There are no mention of cronuts in MLS roster rules and regs.
Dude, just saw this after I posted...... I have dibs on the cronut/NYCFC references per my earlier posts on meeting with PV & CR for morning coffee and Cro’s. Stepping on my lawn are you.....

Reactions: gbservis
I'm looking at quality for $$$. Pirlo wasn't worth the $$ we spent on him. I think if we bring in Yaya as a non dp he will be worth it. Despite some deficiencies. Ring, great defender, shit goal scorer. Herrera, good defender but hasn't made his presence felt in the final third to say he's a good attacking mid. Are we harping on either of them for being good at one thing and a liability at another? We pretty much averaged 1 goal a game for the second half of the season. Villa scored just about all of them. So do we bring in a midfielder that will defend well or can pick out passes and maybe score 10+ a season? Sorry but we have wingers that aren't scoring, midfielders that aren't scoring and DP's that haven't been scoring so I'm all aboard the Lampard train here in allowing Yaya to come over as a non dp and score some fucking goals for a change. If he comes here and isn't committed I'll eat my words but I wouldn't compare him to Pirlo. He has more legs under him and is still a goal scorer.
That's a novel take. Also seems to make more sense if we aren't keeping Herrera. Maxi's not the same kind of defender, but he's still a pain in the ass and puts in a huge shift. A midfield three of Maxi, Ring and Yaya might be a net winner on GD than Herrera, Maxi and Ring (not that we got to see them play together too much).

That's a novel take. Also seems to make more sense if we aren't keeping Herrera. Maxi's not the same kind of defender, but he's still a pain in the ass and puts in a huge shift. A midfield three of Maxi, Ring and Yaya might be a net winner on GD than Herrera, Maxi and Ring (not that we got to see them play together too much).
Was also thinking he may be a direct replacement for Hererra, so I concur...... but, even if Yaya isn’t a full time starter, he is probably a better choice to throw on if chasing a goal as a target player. Better than Okoli and Khiry. Let him jog around the box and either head an aerial or get a foot on a loose ball ala Lampard.

<all assuming he’s not a DP and finds endless happiness with a Cro’>

Reactions: Jock
Was also thinking he may be a direct replacement for Hererra, so I concur...... but, even if Yaya isn’t a full time starter, he is probably a better choice to throw on if chasing a goal as a target player. Better than Okoli and Khiry. Let him jog around the box and either head an aerial or get a foot on a loose ball ala Lampard.

<all assuming he’s not a DP and finds endless happiness with a Cro’>

Yep. Yaya in. Yangel out. Probably in summer. Lets us use the DP for a 2nd striker or forward.

Reactions: sbrylski

You're right if it's non-DP as you said it's a different situation than Pirlo. I'd still be disappointed if we had to burn a bunch of TAM on him. Since we need scoring I'd rather see us add an attacker than an attacking minded midfielder. I have no doubt Yaya if healthy and motivated would score goals but at what cost? When we have an offense only midfielder we have to compromise so much to cover for them. The wings drop deeper on D, the FBs overlap less, we play CBs at RB. So many tactical shifts had to happen to cover for Lampard and Pirlo on defense it would just be really nice to not add a another guy that also requires similar formation warping for defensive cover. Tactically I'd rather we see us with midfielders at each spot that at least do some defending so that we can have overlapping fullbacks with wingers spending the majority of their energy in attack.

Say we intend to stick with the 4-4-3 and Yaya does come on a non-dp contract. What happens if you get a chance to sign a high quality attacking, goal scoring ,LW that like many world class LWs plays very little defense? Do you have to pass on him because having Yaya forces you to play a Wallace type LW that plays box to box? These limited mobility and/or low defensive work rate guys in the midfield cause so many roster constraints when you have to do extra things to cover for them.

Lol, ok. The reason I responded as such is because you have only 5 posts prior to these recent ones, the last coming in August 2016, and all of a sudden, have gone on a YaYa tear, building him up to be some amazing world beater. If you think my post was insulting, then I apologize, wasn't meant to other than to point the above point out.

But if you want me to provide an actual response to your points, here goes....

You mention that Yaya is "the definition of a playmaker", which is a very bold statement for someone who going back the last 2.5 seasons has scored only 12 goals (3 being PKs) with 8 assists. This, on a team that consistently finishes at the top of the table within the Premier League and has one of the most prolific EPL goal scorers in Aguero to work with.

You say he can score from free kicks, going back through the 2014/2015 season, he has totaled 3 set piece goals (note that I'm not sure this means as a FK taker or a recipient) across all competitions where he has started in 98 matches.

You say he is one of the best PK takers in the world. I'm honestly not going to argue against this because I don't study PK takers enough to honestly dispute this with an argument that I am sure on. But we don't need to bring anyone in just so we have a solid PK taker. That's silly.

You say that YaYa can score if you give him any space outside the box in open play. Sure, kind of, I guess. He hasn't scored one from outside the box since the 2015/2016 season. Tommy McNamara has scored 5 in that same span.

Correct in that his nickname WAS "Man not Machine". If you Google "YaYa Toure Nickname" now you will find "Grandpa" and "Uncle YaYa" as his nickname, coming from Pep and Sterling.

Everything else here I cannot dispute with objective evidence. However, I will dispute whether or not he creates for his teammates as much anymore. He has just two appearances this season in the EPL, and last year in 22 starts and 1,947 minutes had 0 assists. He averaged 0.8 key passes that season (Pirlo averaged 1.3 this last season in what was arguably his worst year in MLS)

His biggest question marks surrounding him is his effort and pace on the field and that is why people argue that he is laid back. Not because he occasionally argues with the ref on a call or confronts an opponent after a hard foul on a teammate. If we need that, we can just sign someone straight from the NHL.

I don't care what global topics he talks about off the pitch. Maybe others do.

He is currently 4 years younger than Pirlo, yes. We signed Pirlo 2.5 years ago off of a UEFA Champions League Final team and while he had a decent first year and a half with us, was never a massive difference maker on the field. There is no evidence to suggest that someone who has 29 minutes of playing time this year will be an improvement there.

Ummm, yes you can. Giovinco, Allesandrini, Valeri, Lodeiro, Almiron, Villalba, etc., etc., etc. And those are just guys in the league. There are a ton of players out there that can be had that have more quality and are younger.

This is a ridiculous statement.

This post is completely subjective and is presumptuous and honestly frightening to a degree. To suggest that YaYa will play harder at NYCFC because PV is black and YaYa cares about racial equality issues is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board a while.
This post:
giphy.gif

I don’t really want Yaya at any cost.

Guys, if we get him, it literally means no one at any other semi-respectable league across the globe would take his ass.

Also, I have no faith he will do jack shit, and not doing jack shit isn’t good at any price. See Khiry Shelton.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
It's embarrassing that anyone here would want his lazy ass.