Lampard Out Against Toronto

yankee Stadium for baseball is great. The soccer views, depending on where you sit, are great too. Not a soccer pitch by any stretch, but not bad like it was rumored to be.

Yankee Stadium is an architectural masterpiece. Glass, steel and concrete. But Citi Field, wehre the Mets play, is a much nicer baseball field.

When they built the new Yankee Stadium, they decided (rightly, I think) to hew very closely to the architectural style and dimensions of the old stadium, which dated to the 1920s and held a great deal of historical and emotional weight for the sport. That accounts for some of its drawbacks, I think. It is thoroughly a new, modern stadium, however, and quite nice. There is wide latitude in building baseball stadiums, in part because there are no stringent requirements on the shape of the field. This leads to a lot of differences, many of which can be charming.

When they built the new Yankee Stadium, they decided (rightly, I think) to hew very closely to the architectural style and dimensions of the old stadium, which dated to the 1920s and held a great deal of historical and emotional weight for the sport. That accounts for some of its drawbacks, I think. It is thoroughly a new, modern stadium, however, and quite nice. There is wide latitude in building baseball stadiums, in part because there are no stringent requirements on the shape of the field. This leads to a lot of differences, many of which can be charming.
Am I reading this right the pitch can be any shape and size ?

Reactions: Kjbert
Not exactly, but sort of. In baseball it's a field, though. The infield is a set size, four bases in a square with the corners 90 feet apart. Home plate (one of the bases) is where the batter is, and there are lines drawn on the field from home plate out to the two outer bases and extending on out to the outfield wall. That's where the exact measurements end, because the wall can be anywhere from 300 feet in the corners to as much as 400 feet or more in the center. And also, it can be any shape, it doesn't have to be symmetrical.

So, when people say Yankee Stadium is a weird shape it's because the the distance to the outfield wall is extra short in one dimension and extra long in another. In the old stadium I think it was 237' to right field and 510' to left-center. The new field has softened those extremes a bit but it still has that shape. I'm sure some Yankee fan will correct me on those dimensions though if I'm misremembering.

But anyway, no, there's no standard field or stadium size in baseball.

Not exactly, but sort of. In baseball it's a field, though. The infield is a set size, four bases in a square with the corners 90 feet apart. Home plate (one of the bases) is where the batter is, and there are lines drawn on the field from home plate out to the two outer bases and extending on out to the outfield wall. That's where the exact measurements end, because the wall can be anywhere from 300 feet in the corners to as much as 400 feet or more in the center. And also, it can be any shape, it doesn't have to be symmetrical.

So, when people say Yankee Stadium is a weird shape it's because the the distance to the outfield wall is extra short in one dimension and extra long in another. In the old stadium I think it was 237' to right field and 510' to left-center. The new field has softened those extremes a bit but it still has that shape. I'm sure some Yankee fan will correct me on those dimensions though if I'm misremembering.

But anyway, no, there's no standard field or stadium size in baseball.
Its funny its just not played at all here yet as kids 5/10 year olds its played in school by mixed teams .we just call it rounders.
At secondary school the girls are pushed into netball and the lads football.then in summer time we had to play cricket.

Here's a good comparison of baseball fields if you're interested

baseballs-many-physical-dimensions_53344ca673751.png

Here's a good comparison of baseball fields if you're interested

baseballs-many-physical-dimensions_53344ca673751.png
Thanks for that ,I'm sure you yanks just make stuff up as your going along !!
To a Brit the more you lot teach me about baseball the wierder it gets .
Football for us is so much simpler 38 league games a season of 90 mins .job done