MLS - September 22 - Red Bulls (Away) [Rescheduled]

is there any word on when this is rescheduled? WTF with the radio silence? At least tell us your are working on it.

is there any word on when this is rescheduled? WTF with the radio silence? At least tell us your are working on it.

Of course they're working on it, but it just takes time to finalize everything. I wonder if they do it during the October break.

Honestly it’s probably good for schedule congestion to get this game postponed. Now the boys have a week to prepare for the Revs and don’t have to focus too much on recovery

Reactions: Shwafta
So what happened: the players came out, warmed up and ran around a bit, and then they called it off before starting the game? Is that Right?

Fans allowed back in seats around 10:00, goalkeepers came out just after 10:10 and eventually the full squad by 10:15 or so. They warmed up for more than 20 minutes, but the middle vertical third of the pitch was totally water-logged. The ball splatted to a dead stop, worse than the 2017 Seattle match at Yankee Stadium. A quick huddle on the sidelines by both teams, game called, and the players came around to thank the supporters.

Last edited:
If the ball would not move across the grass as MumonA MumonA said, whoever it was made the right call. I don't know the rules Dyer is referring to, but I find it unlikely that at some point the refs do not have full control. I know in baseball, for example, the home teams have full control until a game starts, probably with major input from MLB and networks especially later in the season, and then the umps have full authority once the first pitch is thrown.
The refs are responsible for the conduct of the game and the safety of the players. They have to have the ability to make these decisions. Maybe they told RB and MLS that unless the field conditions miraculously improved, they would call the game off 2 minutes after it started, leaving MLS with embarrassing video of a clearly unplayable field and a game stopped after a pointless attempt.

Of course they're working on it, but it just takes time to finalize everything. I wonder if they do it during the October break.
I know they are but any first year comms professional would know to at least communicate to their customers what the process is. Not doing so is another in a series of comms errors that aggregate to the sense so many fans feel that they don’t care about them. Nothing was on the app or website last night about how the decision was made or what they were doing, all I could find was a single lame tweet. I go here for my news because I know this community has collective radar. The org itself is utterly unreliable as a news source.

I know they are but any first year comms professional would know to at least communicate to their customers what the process is. Not doing so is another in a series of comms errors that aggregate to the sense so many fans feel that they don’t care about them. Nothing was on the app or website last night about how the decision was made or what they were doing, all I could find was a single lame tweet. I go here for my news because I know this community has collective radar. The org itself is utterly unreliable as a news source.
Neither team has given any guidance on this so they are pretty much even.
Last night RB gave somewhat better Twitter updates than NYCFC did for Pumas. RB also had a similar situation in July against Miami. Maybe they learned and maybe NYCFC will do better next time, but NYCFC did not even consistently retweet every RB Twitter announcement last night. I had to keep checking the RB account myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
I checked and found at least 3 potential midweek dates where neither team is playing before I stopped, including one midweek before the Derby game at YS that would make for one helluva week. But I bet the holdup is each team has different priorities of when to add congestion and when to keep some rest time available.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
If the ball would not move across the grass as MumonA MumonA said, whoever it was made the right call. I don't know the rules Dyer is referring to, but I find it unlikely that at some point the refs do not have full control. I know in baseball, for example, the home teams have full control until a game starts, probably with major input from MLB and networks especially later in the season, and then the umps have full authority once the first pitch is thrown.
The refs are responsible for the conduct of the game and the safety of the players. They have to have the ability to make these decisions. Maybe they told RB and MLS that unless the field conditions miraculously improved, they would call the game off 2 minutes after it started, leaving MLS with embarrassing video of a clearly unplayable field and a game stopped after a pointless attempt.

Totally the right decision to postpone

Yea definitely unplayable.

We would have been at the disadvantage since we rely more on passing. Red bulls were ready to play their Helter skelter style I bet.

I checked and found at least 3 potential midweek dates where neither team is playing before I stopped, including one midweek before the Derby game at YS that would make for one helluva week. But I bet the holdup is each team has different priorities of when to add congestion and when to keep some rest time available.
They should play it tomorrow. Best all around. No midweek games for either club because of the all-star game. Both clubs prepped and ready.

Otherwise here is what I found - all mid-week and inconvenient.

Tues - Aug 30 - During international break; NYC plays Friday.

Tues/Wed - Sep 21/22 - midweek before we host the Derby.

Wed - Oct 6 - during international break; NJ plays Sat.

Wed - Oct 13 - during international break; midweek before last derby game in NJ

Reactions: Shwafta and LionNYC