MLS - September 22 - Red Bulls (Away) [Rescheduled]

Why does MLS persistently put all the Hudson River Derby games in the second half of the season. There have been 1-2 exceptions, but it’s typically all later in the season.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why does MLS persistently put all the Hudson River Derby games in the second half of the season. There have been 1-2 exceptions, but it’s typically all later in the season.
I know, right? They're never towards the beginning of the season. Imagine an opening day HRD. or a closing day HRD. would be so fun! However they need to get their shitty "Heineken rivalry week" stuff going which... let's be honest is quite useless. Just put the games and rivalries will be played when rivalries are played.

I know, right? They're never towards the beginning of the season. Imagine an opening day HRD. or a closing day HRD. would be so fun! However they need to get their shitty "Heineken rivalry week" stuff going which... let's be honest is quite useless. Just put the games and rivalries will be played when rivalries are played.
I can see why they don't do first game or last game. They usually have higher interest on their own, and if you combine it with a rivalry game you lose a potential ratings/attendance bump. Especially the last game. That's big enough when you're playing for a playoff spot, home field, a bye, or just a better matchup.
This is tougher. I can speculate, as I'm sure you can as well, but none of the reasons really hold weight. Even the marketing seems like it could help to spread it out. On the other hand, one of the exceptions was RBW, so maybe we're better off.

It would also be nice if they actually called it the Hudson River Derby instead of the New York Derby.
This has bugged me for a couple years now. If the fans call it something why is the league shoving it down our throats? I like the take that if we call it the Hudson River Derby then they have to acknowledge that NJRB play in NJ on the other side of the Hudson lol.
To add, I think the league came up with the name so it irks me even more that they listened to the fans and call the Ohio rivalry “Hell is real” but won’t listen to our fans.

This has bugged me for a couple years now. If the fans call it something why is the league shoving it down our throats? I like the take that if we call it the Hudson River Derby then they have to acknowledge that NJRB play in NJ on the other side of the Hudson lol.
To add, I think the league came up with the name so it irks me even more that they listened to the fans and call the Ohio rivalry “Hell is real” but won’t listen to our fans.

the take about admitting the RBs are a NJ team if they call it what we call it, is probably true, but also sucks. they should just embrace it

I can see why they don't do first game or last game. They usually have higher interest on their own, and if you combine it with a rivalry game you lose a potential ratings/attendance bump. Especially the last game. That's big enough when you're playing for a playoff spot, home field, a bye, or just a better matchup.

This is tougher. I can speculate, as I'm sure you can as well, but none of the reasons really hold weight. Even the marketing seems like it could help to spread it out. On the other hand, one of the exceptions was RBW, so maybe we're better off.

I mean I guess, but it would still be fun. First matches usually have an air of "it's just the first match so whatever!", so it would be fun if it was also a rivalry to start off the season.
...And even if not the first week, it could be before the... um... 20th game of the season. And they consistently put them in July or later.

RB may be eliminated from the playoffs by the time we get to play them.
I'm reasonably certain that is not mathematically possible. They're 8 points below the last playoff team with 2 games in hand. Most teams including them play only 3 games before we play each other. It's rather unlikely they will make the playoffs, but they cannot be eliminated by then.

Went back and checked. Derby games happened in the first half of the season in
2015 (2x)

Now except for 2015 this has usually meant more second half Derbies than first, but it's not as if such games have been irregular and rare. Basically every year except 2019 and 2021. And 2019 was close: first Derby was Game 18. This year, as originally scheduled was the latest ever "first" Derby at Game 20.
In 2020 the first Derby game was game 6. Not until August but the entire spring and 1st half of summer were wiped out and Game 6 is objectively first half of the season and even first quarter, rounded off.
But the sort of "streak" of all late in the year games in 2019-21, even though 2020 was early in the actual season as played, probably created the impression that it rarely happens. Also they tend to be Away. One at Home in 2015 and the other was RBW in 2016. None since. Lost both.

• Wow
Reactions: Shwafta
Went back and checked. Derby games happened in the first half of the season in
2015 (2x)

Now except for 2015 this has usually meant more second half Derbies than first, but it's not as if such games have been irregular and rare. Basically every year except 2019 and 2021. And 2019 was close: first Derby was Game 18. This year, as originally scheduled was the latest ever "first" Derby at Game 20.
In 2020 the first Derby game was game 6. Not until August but the entire spring and 1st half of summer were wiped out and Game 6 is objectively first half of the season and even first quarter, rounded off.
But the sort of "streak" of all late in the year games in 2019-21, even though 2020 was early in the actual season as played, probably created the impression that it rarely happens. Also they tend to be Away. One at Home in 2015 and the other was RBW in 2016. None since. Lost both.
Huh, that's actually quite interesting. Thanks for doing the research!! I guess it just feels that way even if it's untrue.

------

I'm so very happy with this reschedule because it's right at the end of sukkot so I'll be able to watch the game live on espn. wooo!!

Huh, that's actually quite interesting. Thanks for doing the research!!
I didn't have to research. I've been keeping a spreadsheet with every game's basic info since 2015: date, opponent, home/away, score, game number, 1-34, etc. I just had to filter for RB games and check for game numbers 1-17 (1-12 in 2020).

I’m still confused on the rules. Do teams have to start with the announced starting line up for cancelled game? And have same bench?

I’m still confused on the rules. Do teams have to start with the announced starting line up for cancelled game? And have same bench?
In cases where a match is postponed prior to kickoff, but after the Official Match Roster exchange, clubs will be permitted to change their roster regardless of whether the rescheduled match occurs on a date prior to or after the next match in either Clubs’ schedule.

There's no way they would be able to do that due to injuries and other squad-related issues.

Parks has already declared we are going to win both derbies this week. so I assume he's going to take it upon himself to take over both games and deliver those Ws.