1 Year Old. How Is The Club Doing?

Don't you mean 'The War of Nothern Aggression'?

Man, this is a rough crowd. I have never called it that nor have I ever heard someone actually use that phrase. Then again, New Orleans was kind of an odd bird when it came to the Civil War. Even though it was a hotbed of slave trading, New Orleans wasn't terribly passionate about it. The port fell rather easily and Lincoln actually used New Orleans to experiment with post-Reconstruction strategies that never came to fruition due to his assassination and the surge of Radical Republicans.

And (this is a further digression from the topic but what the heck) I've sometimes used the term Yankees to refer to people outside of South Louisiana because there's such a stark difference between the Cajun/Creole culture of New Orleans and Acadiana and the rest of the south. I was in the Dallas airport on my honeymoon and saw a Best Buy kiosk which dispensed iPods. I told my wife "what will these Yankees think of next?" and got a very confused stare from some businessman. I don't expect that to make sense to anyone here lol

The Yanks has been the nickname for a while. There's a massive blog called The Yanks Are Coming. Yankees has referred to Americans for a long time now. The Civil War separated it a bit, but to the rest of the world, we're all Yankees still.

Reactions: einwindir
It's kind of a weird thing. I think foreigners are apt to call us all Yanks. Within the country it refers to Northerners now though I think at one point (despite the location of the baseball team) it mostly was used to mean New Englanders.

I agree with the thought that the club has not done nearly enough to promote the club outwardly, whenever I wear the NYC FC shirt I won on their Twitter contest, I am asked at least twice that day by complete strangers what is FC? no joke a few thought the FC was some sort of shorthand for foul language (I wish I was kidding)

I do my best to be an unofficial ambassador for the club, I explain who they are, what their ties are to the Yankees (because they know what the Yankees are, and what their commitment to winning is) and Manchester City (since it is a major EPL team, if they know soccer they will understand that's an impressive partnership)

There were too many stretches of dead silence from the club.

Hopefully in the next 12 months, they ramp up public promotion and outreach.

Wear your colors, if people ask what the hell is NYCFC, take the time and have a conversation.

Theses are all of the simple things we can do without having a meeting about it.

I do this every week, casual Friday's at my office and the weekend. at the last floor meeting, I had a few coworkers ask me about the shirt and the team, I was able to provide my ticket rep with some contacts for possible new ticket holders.

I agree with the thought that the club has not done nearly enough to promote the club outwardly, whenever I wear the NYC FC shirt I won on their Twitter contest, I am asked at least twice that day by complete strangers what is FC? no joke a few thought the FC was some sort of shorthand for foul language (I wish I was kidding)

I do my best to be an unofficial ambassador for the club, I explain who they are, what their ties are to the Yankees (because they know what the Yankees are, and what their commitment to winning is) and Manchester City (since it is a major EPL team, if they know soccer they will understand that's an impressive partnership)

There were too many stretches of dead silence from the club.

Hopefully in the next 12 months, they ramp up public promotion and outreach.

I went to Dicks over the weekend to pick up the NYCFC subway tile shirt. I asked the Dicks worker, where the nycfc stuff was and he had no clue what i was talking about and had never heard of NYCFC. After a bit of searching I found the NYCFC shirts tucked away in the baseball section. Seems like no big deal but these small things add up, Dicks is a huge store there is plenty of room for small display with a sign that reads NYCFC NY's newest MLS club etc. Not that hard.

I can´t say that I´m surprised that many don´t know about a team that haven´t played a game yet.. :D
But we´ll get there, NY is just a tough nut to crack as a market. You have to provide top stuff to make it.

Luckily our top brass knows that, and we got the resources to make it happen..

Reactions: RichieJK
As an outsider, I think NYCFC has made some good progress... and at the very least, its existence just landed every team the league a few extra million in TV dollars. Interest will pick up if a marquee player is added.

As a Chicagoan, I understand how hard it is to crack into the sports scene in a major market... I've met plenty of people who have either never heard of the Fire/don't know what they are or automatically assume I am talking about the television show.

Not to mention, New York is packed... Yankees, Mets, Football Giants, Jets, Knickerbockers, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Red Bulls, City FC, Liberty, Sky Blue FC, Lizards, etc. At least from looking at the websites of New York newspapers, it seems that most don't cover much Islanders, Devils, Red Bulls, or the "lesser" teams. To the best of my knowledge, no major paper has a section dedicated to the Fire, and the team has been around since 1998 and I've only recently begun to see advertising for them places. Newspapers in Chicago tend to treat MLS as the same as WNBA or AHL, and I believe NY's crowded landscape leads to similar problems.

Having an English radio deal already is good though, really wish the Fire had one. There have been more pros than cons IMO, and to support a Major League Soccer team, you don't need as large a number of fans as in other sports. I think that in a city as big as New York, NYCFC will find their niche pretty easily, even the Red Bulls get better attendance than most of the league.

As an outsider, I think NYCFC has made some good progress... and at the very least, its existence just landed every team the league a few extra million in TV dollars. Interest will pick up if a marquee player is added.

As a Chicagoan, I understand how hard it is to crack into the sports scene in a major market... I've met plenty of people who have either never heard of the Fire/don't know what they are or automatically assume I am talking about the television show.

Not to mention, New York is packed... Yankees, Mets, Football Giants, Jets, Knickerbockers, Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Red Bulls, City FC, Liberty, Sky Blue FC, Lizards, etc. At least from looking at the websites of New York newspapers, it seems that most don't cover much Islanders, Devils, Red Bulls, or the "lesser" teams. To the best of my knowledge, no major paper has a section dedicated to the Fire, and the team has been around since 1998 and I've only recently begun to see advertising for them places. Newspapers in Chicago tend to treat MLS as the same as WNBA or AHL, and I believe NY's crowded landscape leads to similar problems.

Having an English radio deal already is good though, really wish the Fire had one. There have been more pros than cons IMO, and to support a Major League Soccer team, you don't need as large a number of fans as in other sports. I think that in a city as big as New York, NYCFC will find their niche pretty easily, even the Red Bulls get better attendance than most of the league.
FWIW its a great show

Lots of talk that MLS needs to do something to fix Chicago just as they will Chivas USA.

When it comes to our stadium here's hoping NYCFC learns from both Chicago and the Red Bulls......put the damn thing in a place that's easily accessible. It's my understanding the Fire are having a tough time getting people into their building, because it's just too much of a hassle to get to (just like RBA).

When it comes to our stadium here's hoping NYCFC learns from both Chicago and the Red Bulls......put the damn thing in a place that's easily accessible. It's my understanding the Fire are having a tough time getting people into their building, because it's just too much of a hassle to get to (just like RBA).
More because 99% of the people in the city don't know the name of the league or where they play unless they happened to go to a concert at Toyota Park before. Exposure is just very low, a history of bad TV deals (NBC Nonstop 5.2 - a substation) or deals with channels people generally don't go to for their other sports (My50 - every other team is on CSN and WGN except the Bears because of the national deals with FOX).

Traffic is bad, but coming from the suburbs it isn't much worse than going to a game anywhere in the city proper. General sense of apathy in Chicago and advertising has only been kicked up to a point where one may notice it until recently (Wrigleyville billboards and CTA ads). Unfortunately, not quite as much in the suburbs, where a majority of the fanbase comes from (same goes for the Blackhawks, Cubs and White Sox, probably the Bulls and Bears too).

But yes, location is key. Orlando building downtown will all but guarantee immediate financial success for them.

Well, according to Chicago fans at least..
More work needs to be done, a ton of it. Many fans dislike ownership... after all, 3rd biggest city in the country, have it all to ourselves without a NYCFC/NYRB or a LAG/CUSA and still are ahead of only Chivas USA, New England and Colorado in payroll. Maybe a big name DP will come, but the team hasn't sold out a regular season or playoff match to full capacity since at least 2 seasons ago.

Reactions: Kjbert
Every team can't be great every year. But I think the Chicago and Boston markets need to be better. Soccer excels in this country amidst young, white, affluent males. Tons of those in the Chicago and Boston suburbs. It's apparent that the Fire and Revolution are secondary holdings in larger portfolios. Too bad.

Every team can't be great every year. But I think the Chicago and Boston markets need to be better. Soccer excels in this country amidst young, white, affluent males. Tons of those in the Chicago and Boston suburbs. It's apparent that the Fire and Revolution are secondary holdings in larger portfolios. Too bad.

The Fire OG got other teams?