2015 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread

What an ending. Was it a penalty? Was it a dive? To many of us it will be either choice depending who we are rooting for. I am glad I was not the referee .
I honestly don't think anyone can see that and not acknowledge the obvious dive.
As much as I love playing and beating Mexico, between this and the fans being animals, I hope they get trounced by Panama!

I saw that Fox had a chat with Dr. Joe about it, but I didn't hear what he said. Did anyone hear it?
He said it was an awful call that shouldn't have been made both because the play was an obvious dive and because the ref let stoppage time go way too long.

I can't remember if it was him or another commentator but someone also made what I thought was a good point about the Peralta red. The ref was working hard to keep both squads at full strength and doing a good job of managing that for both sides.

Shame he tried so hard not to be the deciding factor in the game and then failed so miserably at the very end.

Reactions: mgarbowski
What a crazy set of games. T&T fought their hearts out but absolutely blew it with their big chance to win on PKs. Mexico dominated the game but won on a BS call. Either way, I got my money's worth and that was awesome.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I felt so bad for Trinidad when Abu Bakhr missed the game winning penalty (had he converted). And I felt even worse when Peneda made a save on that last penalty. I can hardly imagine what it must feel like to be the guy who had his shot saved.

Luckily for Panama, Jaime Peneda stepped up when they needed him to in the 9th round of PK's. (He was awful the other eight rounds.)

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
And Peralta should have been sent off for the scissor tackle.
Need we talk about the Costa Rican players who were given 50 warnings for constantly fouling while on yellow cards?

The referee didn't want to be the deciding factor in this match and did one hell of a job until the very end of the game when things started getting chippy and when he awarded that penalty.

The penalty was awarded by the Assistant Referee, it turns out.

Dr. Joe has some history with being a senior guy in charge of rules and officiating. Not sure of the exact details, but you can Google it.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
The penalty was awarded by the Assistant Referee, it turns out.

Dr. Joe has some history with being a senior guy in charge of rules and officiating. Not sure of the exact details, but you can Google it.

well thats MLS linesmen for you. my theory is that that arm that was extended by the CR player was what fooled him. Oribe always jumps awkwardly to win a header made it seem like he was displaced and fouled.

I felt so bad for Trinidad when Abu Bakhr missed the game winning penalty (had he converted). And I felt even worse when Peneda made a save on that last penalty. I can hardly imagine what it must feel like to be the guy who had his shot saved.

At least he shot on target? Better to have it saved than to sky it for the last miss.
Need we talk about the Costa Rican players who were given 50 warnings for constantly fouling while on yellow cards?

The referee didn't want to be the deciding factor in this match and did one hell of a job until the very end of the game when things started getting chippy and when he awarded that penalty.

You're last sentence is the point. He was clearly trying to avoid calling things, so he should have stayed consistent. I know the linesman is the one who called it, but he can overrule it. Not to mention there's ZERO reason for them to have still been playing in the 122nd minute.

At least he shot on target? Better to have it saved than to sky it for the last miss.

You're last sentence is the point. He was clearly trying to avoid calling things, so he should have stayed consistent. I know the linesman is the one who called it, but he can overrule it. Not to mention there's ZERO reason for them to have still been playing in the 122nd minute.

this is something that always comes up in any tournament that goes to extra time this cup, or world cup, or champions league etc. I do agree that it should end at 120 since the the extra time is already that: additional time. Still, until there is a written rule that says whistle must be blown at 120 it will still be up to the "referees discretion"

Z4CH3B99 said

To excuse the last ridiculous call because of stuff that happened prior with persistent CR fouls, which never rose to the level of warranting a red, the most drastic remedy in all of sport, and to decide the game on one play like that, is really an invalid argument, as what happened in that moment with those specific players is all that should count as far as decision making by a referee/linesman. If I were the ref and I saw the video afterwards, having deferred to the linesman previously, I'd feel compelled to apologize publicly for such a terrible error, and let the chips fall where they may as far as impact on my job. And I would say the same shit if that were given to the US or NYC, my club and country teams. I'd be embarrassed that the team I wanted to win was granted such a call, and I would always feel a bit empty inside winning in such a fashion. Just another utter humiliation for soccer in general.

Reactions: roxfontaine
If it does end up being US v. Mexico in the finals, the US fans in attendance are going to have to work hard to make more noise than the Meexican fans. As much as I get annoyed with the persistent, but admittedly small number of Mexican fans who throw things or use lasers, I have to credit their fan base overall for bringing it during this tournament. Every one of their games has been very well attended, and they are loud.

Z4CH3B99 said

To excuse the last ridiculous call because of stuff that happened prior with persistent CR fouls, which never rose to the level of warranting a red, the most drastic remedy in all of sport, and to decide the game on one play like that, is really an invalid argument, as what happened in that moment with those specific players is all that should count as far as decision making by a referee/linesman. If I were the ref and I saw the video afterwards, having deferred to the linesman previously, I'd feel compelled to apologize publicly for such a terrible error, and let the chips fall where they may as far as impact on my job. And I would say the same shit if that were given to the US or NYC, my club and country teams. I'd be embarrassed that the team I wanted to win was granted such a call, and I would always feel a bit empty inside winning in such a fashion. Just another utter humiliation for soccer in general.
I'm not trying to excuse the penalty with Costa Rica's constant fouling. The fouling was worthy of a red if for nothing other than the fact that they were persistent. You shouldn't be able to keep fouling without discretion once you have already been awarded a yellow card.

well thats MLS linesmen for you. my theory is that that arm that was extended by the CR player was what fooled him. Oribe always jumps awkwardly to win a header made it seem like he was displaced and fouled.
Can we find some way to blame CFG and Don Garber for this farce?

I honestly don't think anyone can see that and not acknowledge the obvious dive.
As much as I love playing and beating Mexico, between this and the fans being animals, I hope they get trounced by Panama![/QUOTE

Que tu boca sea de profeta!
translation- may your your lips be make it a prophecy -
And to be fair both sides of the fans were throwing bottles and acting atrociously, and in the heat of passion its hard to keep a cool head.