2015 U. S. Open Cup

They're probably not counting on a big crowd for these games so they could probably figure something in the city limits while we endlessly wait for a stadium.

Reactions: Kjbert
The games will not be played at Yankee Stadium. They are fairly confident they will not host a single USOC game. All will be away games.

Reactions: MagnusPax
Owned by Manhattan College. Has artifical turf and not grass. I don't know what the seating situaton is. Think there is a Subway near by.
hofstra is artificial turf too, i think.

its off the 1 train and its still " in the city" but i do think the seating situation may be the issue, but i feel like i have seen other MLS teams play in very small venues for US OPEN cup.

hofstra is artificial turf too, i think.

its off the 1 train and its still " in the city" but i do think the seating situation may be the issue, but i feel like i have seen other MLS teams play in very small venues for US OPEN cup.

Found it. Gaelic Park holds 2,000 spectators per the Manhattan College website. Would be great if there was room for up to 8k. I think 8k for a USOC match is realistic.

Question for you all in the future - let's say we build the stadium in the Bronx and the permanent training facility is in Westchester - would you be OK with the team playing USOC games not in the Bronx but in Westchester at the training facility?

So I did some research. I excluded any soccer stadium outside of the 5 boroughs (i.e. Hofstra, MetLife). I also excluded the extremely unlikely (i.e. CitiField). I went in order of capacity. All facilities are turf.

Columbia U - Robert K. Kraft Field at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium (Capacity 17000)
Fordham U - Jack Coffey Field (Capacity 7000)
Randall's Island - Icahn Stadium (Capacity 5000)
Columbia U - Columbia Soccer Stadium (Capacity 3500)
St Johns U - Belson Stadium (Capacity 2600 - 5000)
Manhattan College - Gaelic Park (Capacity 2000)

Did I miss anything?

Randall's Island is still a fun idea, but I believe I've seen on here before that it can not be used for soccer? There's a law against it or Icahn agreed to something in order to get the stadium built?

Found it. Gaelic Park holds 2,000 spectators per the Manhattan College website. Would be great if there was room for up to 8k. I think 8k for a USOC match is realistic.

Question for you all in the future - let's say we build the stadium in the Bronx and the permanent training facility is in Westchester - would you be OK with the team playing USOC games not in the Bronx but in Westchester at the training facility?

No way in hell.

Randall's Island is still a fun idea, but I believe I've seen on here before that it can not be used for soccer? There's a law against it or Icahn agreed to something in order to get the stadium built?
That's correct. I believe the people who financed the renovations of Ichan did so only under the stipulation the stadium would only be used for track and field events.

That's correct. I believe the people who financed the renovations of Ichan did so only under the stipulation the stadium would only be used for track and field events.
I had no idea about this. That's too bad because this might've been a decent option. Transportation there is still an issue(although I can walk) with no MTA and only car access.

I'd have to double check that, but I'm sure I read somewhere permission would be granted for concerts and minor sporting events, but any type of major sporting event (other than track meets) would be a no go.