2015 U. S. Open Cup

I hope we put effort into this, would love to play for some hardware year one. Gets us into CCL next year too, if we win.

Is that still the rule? I felt like i read somewhere that was taken away and that the next best team on the league table took that spot instead?

Reactions: Kjbert
No the winner of the USOC gets an auto-bid to CCL.

Regional play for NYCFC in 4th round means RB, Revs or more likely Cosmos or Rochester.

Reactions: Drainyoo and Kjbert
Is that still the rule? I felt like i read somewhere that was taken away and that the next best team on the league table took that spot instead?
Your thinking of auto-slot for MLS Cup runner up. They changed the rule after the MLS cup and runner ups Salt Lake was not allowed to go but Western Conference regular season champs Portland did get to go (who RSL thrashed repeatedly that year). It caused a lot of hurt feelings of injustice.

Reactions: Fantazma
Your thinking of auto-slot for MLS Cup runner up. They changed the rule after the MLS cup and runner ups Salt Lake was not allowed to go but Western Conference regular season champs Portland did get to go (who RSL thrashed repeatedly that year). It caused a lot of hurt feelings of injustice.
AFAIK, the next best league team took the MLS cup loser's spot, not Open cup champ.
ah so thats what i confused it with, thanks for clearing it up.

No the winner of the USOC gets an auto-bid to CCL.

Regional play for NYCFC in 4th round means RB, Revs or more likely Cosmos or Rochester.

Well - could also include NYRB2, Brooklyn Italians, Philly or Harrisburg.

I still want to assume that any US Open cup tie will be away? I seriously doubt we play them at yankee stadium and i cant see them playing in any other field nearby.
Last year I think the Cosmos played Cup games at St Johns U when Hofstra was not available. Maybe some aggreement like that can be worked out with SJU or Columbia.

I am excited about NYCFC putting some effort into challenging for the Cup in Year 1. It would set the right philosophy that this club is all about winning.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
We don't know the venue for the Cup games we host, right? TBD?

Also, affiliates should not participate in this - 1st teams only. It gives owners with multiple teams multiple chances at the prize, and it waters down the interesting matchups. Who will care about SKC playing Galaxy II? It seems like a scrimmage. Pointless and lowers the prestige of a tournament already suffering from lack of interest.

We don't know the venue for the Cup games we host, right? TBD?

Also, affiliates should not participate in this - 1st teams only. It gives owners with multiple teams multiple chances at the prize, and it waters down the interesting matchups. Who will care about SKC playing Galaxy II? It seems like a scrimmage. Pointless and lowers the prestige of a tournament already suffering from lack of interest.

Yeah, but since we don't have regular U-23 and U-21 sides the affiliates are technically just that, affiliated teams in lower leagues. They count as legitimate opponents in USL-Pro rankings so we can't really say that only "real" USL-Pro sides should get to play in the cup. Plus that opens the door to someone saying that Wilmington and other affiliated but not owned teams shouldn't be allowed to compete either. And it potentially gives the young guys a chance to play against higher quality opposition. Sure it may not be the biggest drawing match from a supporters position, but neither is when a Premier League side hosts a League 2 team in the FA Cup.

Reactions: Paul
Way back in early 2014 during the FO meeting with fans at Legends the question was asked where we would play home Open Cup games. The answer was not at Yankee Stadium, rather at a different city venue TBD. I think that is still the case.

Reactions: Kjbert
Would folks care if the games were played outside of the city?

Way back in early 2014 during the FO meeting with fans at Legends the question was asked where we would play home Open Cup games. The answer was not at Yankee Stadium, rather at a different city venue TBD. I think that is still the case.

I don't understand why home cup games wouldn't be played at our home field at Yankee Stadium? Can someone explain?