2016 Jersey Thread

I hate to do this to you guys, but the ass clown Mike Walker (sounds like the guy in charge of all MLS team jerseys), did an interview with NYCFC.com and unfortunately this was at the end of it:

"Walker also gave the NYCFC.com team a sneak peek on the early design pitches for next season’s home kit.
“There will be a new design element, but I would expect it to be City blue,” said Walker."

Soooooo unless we can either break MLS jersey trends and come out with two jerseys in a year or go back to the black away kit (which I like more personally), we're stuck with these for at least two years
What about a potential third kit next year? SKC has had a few third kits, as well as LA, Portland, Seattle*

*Not 100% sure about Seattle

In design (at least in Architecture), typically a client is shown three options to choose from. The designers definitely have a favorite, and maybe even two favs with the third being something they know will be dismissed immediately. I cannot imagine what the other two options were that got axed.... or a scarier thought is that the Onion jersey was supposed to be the third/discardable option that nobody on the design team figured would be chosen.

Similar process for graphic design (I'm a design director), and my team never EVER EVER presents a design idea to a client that we're not comfortable with them selecting. If we don't love the design, and can't live with it, we never show the client. That's why I can't see how this design made it to NYCFC.

Reactions: Ulrich
A good designer with good taste would not think this is good design, and would not present something like this to a client. Unless of course they were forced to do it by some tasteless suit at NYCFC. That is very possible. Happens all the time.
I think a bad designer with good taste would also not think it is a good design.

Similar process for graphic design (I'm a design director), and my team never EVER EVER presents a design idea to a client that we're not comfortable with them selecting. If we don't love the design, and can't live with it, we never show the client. That's why I can't see how this design made it to NYCFC.
NYCFC/City probably had a big hand in the design process.

All the players in the kit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.548643118642482.1073742036.159424124231052

Who's the lad with the hair in the last photograph?

Ironically, I maybe like the kit a little less now that we see the level of detail on that ripple thing. Overall though, i'm keeping perspective on what it means and remembering that it matters very little what my football team's away kit looks like and isn't worth getting emotionally invested..... As long as we win matches, we could play in Palermo pink, a Jorge Campos designed jersey, or the Dundee United away kit from 1994 and I wouldn't care.

DundeeUtdASS9294Gr8.gif

Reactions: SoupInNYC
All the players in the kit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.548643118642482.1073742036.159424124231052

Ironically, I maybe like the kit a little less now that we see the level of detail on that ripple thing. Overall though, i'm keeping perspective on what it means and remembering that it matters very little what my football team's away kit looks like and isn't worth getting emotionally invested..... As long as we win matches, we could play in Palermo pink, a Jorge Campos designed jersey, or the Dundee United away kit from 1994 and I wouldn't care.

DundeeUtdASS9294Gr8.gif
That's connor Brandt. Poku looks really good in that jersey.

Reactions: Jock and JayH
NYCFC/City probably had a big hand in the design process.

That's my guess. From a designers point of view, the only way this design happens is if NYCFC wanted it and forced Adidas to make it. Maybe this design didn't come from Adidas, but instead it was dictated to them by some talentless suit at NYCFC.

What about a potential third kit next year? SKC has had a few third kits, as well as LA, Portland, Seattle*

*Not 100% sure about Seattle

Seattle is getting 2 new kits this season (new primary and a new third).

Reactions: Ulrich and adam

DundeeUtdASS9294Gr8.gif

Some of the Palermo pink kits have been nice actually.

Reactions: The Toe
They only place this jersey will look good is on my FIFA Ultimate Team...and it'll probably never make it to the game.

the description on nycfc.com about how they came up with the design says "fans were at the center of the design process." So, because of the slogan on the collar, and because they got a sense fans wanted something representing the "energy and chaos of the city"..which "translates into art very well", fans were at the center? So no input after the concept went to the designers eh - or like someone said earlier, some nycfc suits just said "here make this?" Seems as if they might want to read all of these subpar/mixed reviews to reconsider how well the "energy and chaos" translated into "art."

wish the concept was more subtle like the unions new kit: http://www.footyheadlines.com/2016/02/philadelphia-union-2016-home-kit.html - I like this a lot.