Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
LA is the favorite, hands down.

Who is your second pick and do they have a real chance?

Frankly, a healthy Portland is the only team I see having a chance.

Reactions: Goodfella
I'd have to go with Toronto as my 2nd pick, agree with Galaxy as the #1

really LA? teams feels iffy when they play away, they certainly have the squad for it but on performance i guess its hit or miss, still better than majority of teams though but not sure if outright favorite.

im going to say FC Dallas....ill see them live this weekend but it feels like they can do some damage.

Reactions: Ulrich
FWIW, betting outrights have the top tier as:
  1. LA Galaxy (+400)
  2. FC Dallas (+550)
  3. Toronto FC (+650)
  4. New York City FC (+700)
  5. New York Red Bulls (+700)
  6. Colorado Rapids (+800)
Give or take a little bit depending on where you're betting. http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world/usa/mls/mls-cup/winner

I generally agree. LA Galaxy the favorite, with Dallas and Toronto also possible.

But it's a knockout tournament. There's a lot more variance in these than you'd think. Anyone who qualifies has a chance to win it, and the narrative on why they did will be written after the fact.

I have no idea why LA would be the favorite. Yes, they have a great lineup, but they have muddled by and failed to really excel all year. They are 4th in the league in points per game, and on similar form - very good, but not great. They are 9 points in their last 6 games against a fairly easy portion of their schedule. Yes, they should be considered among the favorites, but certainly not at the top.

I have no idea why LA would be the favorite. Yes, they have a great lineup, but they have muddled by and failed to really excel all year. They are 4th in the league in points per game, and on similar form - very good, but not great. They are 9 points in their last 6 games against a fairly easy portion of their schedule. Yes, they should be considered among the favorites, but certainly not at the top.

Yeah, but LegenD has returned.

Not being critical, but did you watch MLS before last year? This shit is Galaxy playbook page 1. They have done it time after time.

As far as reasons for my pick: when healthy, Portland has easily the strongest spine in the league. Dallas doesn't have an Adi and they can get overrun in the midfield.

Toronto is a solid choice. But their defense is so ewwwwww. They could score 4-5 a game with Giovinico and Jozy if both are healthy, an that would make them a tough out. Jozy is playing absolutely great lately.

I want a home playoff game or two for us. That would be great. Our team is a bag of ass when you start comparing us to the actual contenders.

It's a tough year to figure things out. Again, LA has the most talent, but they've lost Zardes and de Jong, and who knows what kind of shape Gerrard will be in. And I think too much gets made of their ability to put it all together for the playoffs.

Dallas strikes me as highly talented up and down the field and playing in top form right now. They just won the U.S. Open Cup and are 4 points clear on the Shield.

And don't sleep on Colorado. That defense can keep them in any game, as it has all season (save for one instance). They are 2nd in the league in points per game for a reason.

Toronto has defensive issues, yes, but they have not played many games this season while fully healthy and still lead the East. If they can get there, watch out.

Then there are teams like us, the Red Fools and RSL who are good enough to win it if things break their way.

And I think we should all pick a dark horse - someone outside of the Top 8. I will go with Montreal.

Reactions: Ulrich
If I were to rate the top 8 in terms of odds of winning, here is my list.

1. Dallas
2. Colorado
3. Toronto
4. LA Galaxy (2-4 very close)
5. NYCFC
6. RBNJ
7. RSL (5-7 very close)
8. SKC

If I were to rate the top 8 in terms of odds of winning, here is my list.

1. Dallas
2. Colorado
3. Toronto
4. LA Galaxy (2-4 very close)
5. NYCFC
6. RBNJ
7. RSL (5-7 very close)
8. SKC
Man, you hate some Portland.