2019 Offseason Thread

It’s interesting that Man City have invested heavily in young players mostly. Stones. Laporte. Mendy. Sterling. Jesus. Sane. Even Ederson was 24.
Possibly to sell-on for FFP relief one day? Possibly just cheaper. Possibly both.
I had not seen that but I happened today to read this from the NYT which was published in May because someone posted the link on Twitter today:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/sports/soccer/atlanta-united-mls.html

It is a very similar article, but has a bit more about Eale's role. Between the 2 articles I came away with 2 conclusions.

1. Blank and the team have been very smart, and very fortunate both. To say the latter is not meant to detract from the hard work, intelligence, creativity and cash they have put into it. But the good fortune is this: Blank hired Eales who was most recently in Tottenham, and I'm sure he did fine, and was limited by the Spurs' role and spend level in the PL. But Eales was not some obvious superstar hire. Blank could have had all the same ambition and intentions and never interviewed Eales and nobody would ever think, "If Blank were serious he would have considered Eales." But he did look at Eales, and Eales is the one who turned MLS upside down by convincing Blank to spend big $$ in Latin America on young players and a big CONMEBOL coach. And then they spend on these young players and hit on 4 out of 5 which again is based on good talent assessment but damn, that's also a bit lucky, especially as I suspect 2 of them probably outperformed even their fondest wishes.

2. I think CFG is as ambitious in their intentions as Blank is, but they are not as ambitious in their temperament, or soul. They are a rather non-inventive corporation, even as big companies go. They never even went through a period when they were young and disruptive. Man City has upset the hierarchy in the PL by spending both heavy and smart and winning, but they have not reinvented anything. They did not change the way PL teams do business. There was no moneyball involved where they saw inefficiencies or lost opportunities. It was just a willingness to spend massively and hire good people. And all good credit for hiring well and buying the right players. But the fundamental strategy is what any completely non-creative person would come up with if tasked with taking a non-top-5 team and moving them to the top of the pyramid and offered nearly unlimited financial resources.* Every hire is basically by the book. Again, all due credit for doing that well. I'm not saying they're dumb or cannot succeed, but there's no spark, nothing that makes you stand back and say "That was brilliantly inventive." They got the best European managers they could who more or less fit their style until Pep was available and now they have Pep, which is the easiest decision to make in the world of soccer and requires zero creativity on the part of management. Pep is creative in his coaching. But nothing else in CFG's business practices shows that sort of creativity.

With NYCFC, hiring Reyna was a smart, traditional inside-the-box, and yes, ambitious hire for MLS. He knows the local talent, has probably as good of a US network as anyone, is well respected, etc. And though Kreis was a total failure he was pretty much the same mold: successful and well-respected in MLS and and they did not go cheap on his salary. If you were thinking ambitious but inside-the-box about a coaching hire for MLS when CFG hired Kreis, he was on the short list of available candidates. It just never occurred to CFG management -- Soriano or whoever -- that MLS was ripe for disruption with coaches like Tata or players like Atlanta has because CFG is not about disruption. CFG has a very business school business plan to create cookie cutter teams all over the world and build a vanilla baby blue brand.

After Kreis failed, they retreated into the safe and comfortable even further, and went with two very familiar inside hires. Both have amazing pedigrees and were the best available people within CFG. And I don't think they did so because Tata or GBS is too pricey. I think they're just outsiders and not obvious MLS-type coaching candidates and not the sort of people CFG ever anticipated hiring for their MLS project.

The scary thing is I expect they still have no clue that Blank and Eales have reinvented MLS in a way that bypassed the CFG strategy. This doesn't mean NYCFC can never win a trophy, or have a year occasionally better than Atlanta. Every team fluctuates. But Atlanta's best is above our best right now, and I fear that unless we change -- not just do better but really change -- we can only exceed Atlanta when our best coincides with their downturn.

* If CFG have been creative anywhere it is in the ways they have channeled money to work around FFP rules. But that's just in service of the basic non-inventive strategy of spend a lot and spend it well.
Great post. I didn't read the article that K Kjbert referred to. My thing is, we know that the CFG way is, as you said it, "business school business plan". How would we characterize Atlanta's strategy, beyond smart? Particularly the Eales hire.

(Kind of besides the point, but I do think the CFG plan is ambitious. But it is essentially induction of business school business plan, or multi-tierization of best practices)

ETA - I read the article. My bad, from memory I thought it would be harder to find. Here's the link: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/07/arthur-blank-owner-atlanta-united-mls-cup

All that really stuck out is that they wanted the very best. But reading through mgarbowski mgarbowski's writeup of the personnel decisions they made, it seems like CFG's issue was not that they didn't want the very best - just perhaps that the pools they were willing to look at were somewhat limited and perhaps predictable.

Last edited:
I had not seen that but I happened today to read this from the NYT which was published in May because someone posted the link on Twitter today:

It is a very similar article, but has a bit more about Eale's role. Between the 2 articles I came away with 2 conclusions.

1. Blank and the team have been very smart, and very fortunate both. To say the latter is not meant to detract from the hard work, intelligence, creativity and cash they have put into it. But the good fortune is this: Blank hired Eales who was most recently in Tottenham, and I'm sure he did fine, and was limited by the Spurs' role and spend level in the PL. But Eales was not some obvious superstar hire. Blank could have had all the same ambition and intentions and never interviewed Eales and nobody would ever think, "If Blank were serious he would have considered Eales." But he did look at Eales, and Eales is the one who turned MLS upside down by convincing Blank to spend big $$ in Latin America on young players and a big CONMEBOL coach. And then they spend on these young players and hit on 4 out of 5 which again is based on good talent assessment but damn, that's also a bit lucky, especially as I suspect 2 of them probably outperformed even their fondest wishes.

2. I think CFG is as ambitious in their intentions as Blank is, but they are not as ambitious in their temperament, or soul. They are a rather non-inventive corporation, even as big companies go. They never even went through a period when they were young and disruptive. Man City has upset the hierarchy in the PL by spending both heavy and smart and winning, but they have not reinvented anything. They did not change the way PL teams do business. There was no moneyball involved where they saw inefficiencies or lost opportunities. It was just a willingness to spend massively and hire good people. And all good credit for hiring well and buying the right players. But the fundamental strategy is what any completely non-creative person would come up with if tasked with taking a non-top-5 team and moving them to the top of the pyramid and offered nearly unlimited financial resources.* Every hire is basically by the book. Again, all due credit for doing that well. I'm not saying they're dumb or cannot succeed, but there's no spark, nothing that makes you stand back and say "That was brilliantly inventive." They got the best European managers they could who more or less fit their style until Pep was available and now they have Pep, which is the easiest decision to make in the world of soccer and requires zero creativity on the part of management. Pep is creative in his coaching. But nothing else in CFG's business practices shows that sort of creativity.

With NYCFC, hiring Reyna was a smart, traditional inside-the-box, and yes, ambitious hire for MLS. He knows the local talent, has probably as good of a US network as anyone, is well respected, etc. And though Kreis was a total failure he was pretty much the same mold: successful and well-respected in MLS and and they did not go cheap on his salary. If you were thinking ambitious but inside-the-box about a coaching hire for MLS when CFG hired Kreis, he was on the short list of available candidates. It just never occurred to CFG management -- Soriano or whoever -- that MLS was ripe for disruption with coaches like Tata or players like Atlanta has because CFG is not about disruption. CFG has a very business school business plan to create cookie cutter teams all over the world and build a vanilla baby blue brand.

After Kreis failed, they retreated into the safe and comfortable even further, and went with two very familiar inside hires. Both have amazing pedigrees and were the best available people within CFG. And I don't think they did so because Tata or GBS is too pricey. I think they're just outsiders and not obvious MLS-type coaching candidates and not the sort of people CFG ever anticipated hiring for their MLS project.

The scary thing is I expect they still have no clue that Blank and Eales have reinvented MLS in a way that bypassed the CFG strategy. This doesn't mean NYCFC can never win a trophy, or have a year occasionally better than Atlanta. Every team fluctuates. But Atlanta's best is above our best right now, and I fear that unless we change -- not just do better but really change -- we can only exceed Atlanta when our best coincides with their downturn.

* If CFG have been creative anywhere it is in the ways they have channeled money to work around FFP rules. But that's just in service of the basic non-inventive strategy of spend a lot and spend it well.

And we never really see ownership talk about the ambitions of CFG. We hear so much from Blank about Atlanta. We've haven't heard a peep from the Sheikh except from some quotes in 2014-2015. And Khaldoon only speaks about NYCFC in the Manchester/CFG year end video.

Well, we've never hired a President that's from the world of soccer. And we won't even have a President next year, we'll have a CEO who comes from basketball and focus is revenue. Our GM is basically a figurehead for operations in Manchester.
I really think you’re making way too much out of this CEO vs President thing

Not sure if anyone else read the Grant Wahl piece today on Arthur Blank and ATL, but it made me jealous for that level of ambition.

He talked about all the things that made them successful and how he turned down the opportunity to start a club back in 2004. It boiled down to hiring the best people available (Tata, Eales and Bocanegra), having a vision for how the league finances worked, understanding how to take advantage of loopholes to continue success, the importance of the soccer stadium, his singular importance as a visible owner, the importance of their brand new $60 Million facility and Academy investments and where he wants the league to go from here.

It dawned on me how far behind them we really are.

Does anyone think we have the best manager in MLS? The best GM? The best President? What about Top 5 or Top 10 in any of those positions?

Does anyone think we’ve done a good job of maximizing the intricacies of a capped league?

Does anyone think that this club is doing everything they can to build a stadium? Are they acting with urgency?

It was refreshing and frustrating to read. What a fantastic owner.

For all the things he did that annoyed us, Vieira was still one of the best managers in MLS before Tata got here.

There have been things to disappoint us, but let's be fair -- NYCFC is one of the high-budget teams in this league. We have spent a ton of money. As much as Atlanta? No. But we're not exactly Houston over here.

For all the things he did that annoyed us, Vieira was still one of the best managers in MLS before Tata got here.

There have been things to disappoint us, but let's be fair -- NYCFC is one of the high-budget teams in this league. We have spent a ton of money. As much as Atlanta? No. But we're not exactly Houston over here.

But was PV the best managerial option available? Or to the point that Christopher Jee Christopher Jee made above, was he just the best managerial option available in our kiddie pool?

Great post, and honestly sad to read. We will never be a leader in MLS under this ownership. We will always be good not great, spending just enough to keep pace with the leaders and innovators. A foreseeable future of one-and-done playoff campaigns in a baseball stadium. :(

Great post. I didn't read the article that Kjbert referred to. My thing is, we know that the CFG way is, as you said it, "business school business plan". How would we characterize Atlanta's strategy, beyond smart? Particularly the Eales hire.

(Kind of besides the point, but I do think the CFG plan is ambitious. But it is essentially induction of business school business plan, or multi-tierization of best practices)

ETA - I read the article. My bad, from memory I thought it would be harder to find. Here's the link: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/12/07/arthur-blank-owner-atlanta-united-mls-cup

I don't have a snappy phrase for Atlanta's business plan. But I think I would say the most important thing might be that Blank asks himself and his people "What can we do that nobody else is doing in MLS that will get ATLUTD to the top and deliver the best team for my home town?" In contrast, CFG asks, "How can we leverage synergy between our City brand and local city pride, using industry standard best practices based on attractive soccer, to expand the City brand globally?"

This seems to be hot take week. It's more about off-field business strategy than on- field but it's all intertwined:
I can't believe MLS has 2 teams with the New York brand and in both instances that brand, which is at a minimum among the top 3 locality brands in the US, is subsumed to international corporate brands that no New Yorker cares about, and which people internationally don't associate with NYC, and overwhelms the New York branding.
If you're some kid in Asia, South America, Africa, and you've got cash to buy a jersey, why would you ever buy a NYCFC jersey instead of Man City? If you're in the market for a light blue shirt with ETIHAD on it might as well get the best one. And why would you ever buy NYRB? PS - they probably don't give a shit it's across the river. But in both cases, they care that neither brand actually means New York. Maybe if you're huge fan of some individual player, but that's it. I bet in 5 years ATLUTD sells more gear internationally that NYCFC will. They're wasting the NYC cachet by tying it to a superior team in an inferior city, and creating negative synergy in both directions, because the connection just makes NYC seem less important because clearly it's the junior club to a team in a rust belt level city. Locally, it's even dumber. Anytime somebody here complains about the hand-me-down uniforms, the response is that the team comes with the owner and the brand you either deal with it or walk away. Which is 100% correct and fair. But it's pretty clear that lots of New Yorkers took the advice and don't fall for generic "For the City" BS that CFG is now using in a half dozen cities on different continents when no New Yorker says shit like "I support the city." They just say "What's in it for New York?"
This ain't happening but I would sign on to the following with no hesitation: (1) new local ownership, (2) branding focused on New York, not "City", and (3) immediate announcement and groundbreaking of stadium in Yonkers, Nassau, Mt. Vernon, or some such. Having a local owner whose only soccer focus is this team, and who like Blank, asks "how do I make the best team for my home town" is more important to me than petty government jurisdictional bullshit over the stadium.

I don't have a snappy phrase for Atlanta's business plan. But I think I would say the most important thing might be that Blank asks himself and his people "What can we do that nobody else is doing in MLS that will get ATLUTD to the top and deliver the best team for my home town?" In contrast, CFG asks, "How can we leverage synergy between our City brand and local city pride, using industry standard best practices based on attractive soccer, to expand the City brand globally?"

This seems to be hot take week. It's more about off-field business strategy than on- field but it's all intertwined:
I can't believe MLS has 2 teams with the New York brand and in both instances that brand, which is at a minimum among the top 3 locality brands in the US, is subsumed to international corporate brands that no New Yorker cares about, and which people internationally don't associate with NYC, and overwhelms the New York branding.
If you're some kid in Asia, South America, Africa, and you've got cash to buy a jersey, why would you ever buy a NYCFC jersey instead of Man City? If you're in the market for a light blue shirt with ETIHAD on it might as well get the best one. And why would you ever buy NYRB? PS - they probably don't give a shit it's across the river. But in both cases, they care that neither brand actually means New York. Maybe if you're huge fan of some individual player, but that's it. I bet in 5 years ATLUTD sells more gear internationally that NYCFC will. They're wasting the NYC cachet by tying it to a superior team in an inferior city, and creating negative synergy in both directions, because the connection just makes NYC seem less important because clearly it's the junior club to a team in a rust belt level city. Locally, it's even dumber. Anytime somebody here complains about the hand-me-down uniforms, the response is that the team comes with the owner and the brand you either deal with it or walk away. Which is 100% correct and fair. But it's pretty clear that lots of New Yorkers took the advice and don't fall for generic "For the City" BS that CFG is now using in a half dozen cities on different continents when no New Yorker says shit like "I support the city." They just say "What's in it for New York?"
This ain't happening but I would sign on to the following with no hesitation: (1) new local ownership, (2) branding focused on New York, not "City", and (3) immediate announcement and groundbreaking of stadium in Yonkers, Nassau, Mt. Vernon, or some such. Having a local owner whose only soccer focus is this team, and who like Blank, asks "how do I make the best team for my home town" is more important to me than petty government jurisdictional bullshit over the stadium.
https://nycworker.coop/home/

ETA - in my Saturday morning haze, I thought it would be funny to respond glibly but pithily to such a long and impassioned post. I am serious about democratic forms of corporate governance, but didn't mean any disrespect.

This.

Yes, Blank is a great owner. Yes, I'm envious. But before Vieira left, we were going toe to toe with Atlanta and NJ. Is there any reason to believe we wouldn't have continued on that path had he stayed? CFG built a great team here with all the makings to compete for trophies this year. Then a (arguably the) key piece left. We had some bad luck with injuries. And we ended about where we deserved following a sizable mid-year shake up.

AHABS, Joseph and Almiron well outperformed expectations. We had 2 of 3 DPs performing at expectations and one below this year. Sucks for us.

I think there is a huge difference in how these two clubs and their owners manage PR. But I don't think there is as massive a difference in their aspirations.

Having said that, I eagerly await the next DP contract showing us something about our ambitions going forward.

Not sure if anyone else read the Grant Wahl piece today on Arthur Blank and ATL, but it made me jealous for that level of ambition.

He talked about all the things that made them successful and how he turned down the opportunity to start a club back in 2004. It boiled down to hiring the best people available (Tata, Eales and Bocanegra), having a vision for how the league finances worked, understanding how to take advantage of loopholes to continue success, the importance of the soccer stadium, his singular importance as a visible owner, the importance of their brand new $60 Million facility and Academy investments and where he wants the league to go from here.

It dawned on me how far behind them we really are.

Does anyone think we have the best manager in MLS? The best GM? The best President? What about Top 5 or Top 10 in any of those positions?

Does anyone think we’ve done a good job of maximizing the intricacies of a capped league?

Does anyone think that this club is doing everything they can to build a stadium? Are they acting with urgency?

It was refreshing and frustrating to read. What a fantastic owner.

Was part of Blank's ambition getting the league to change the expansion rules so that his club entered the league with substantially better terms than the two teams the joined the league the year before? Bravo if he was smart enough to lobby for the rule changes but let's also remember that a lot of Atlanta's success when compared to ours can be attributed to them playing by completely differently rules. You still have to spend and spend wisely to take advantage as Minn United makes very clear so credit to Atlanta. But I do think we have to remember that Atlanta was not forced to start with a team of Grabavoy's, Wingert's, and Brovsky's. I don't disagree that Atlanta has out executed NYCFC at every turn but I do think the rule set we started with put us easily 2 years behind if we think about how long it took the shed all the dead weight.

If you're cold and/or hungry both get the job done, so I'd say no.
I'd say all stews get the job done in that scenario, but not all soups. If I'm freezing and you offer me a wee sip of gazpacho I'm probably gonna pour it on you.

Reactions: gbservis
Was part of Blank's ambition getting the league to change the expansion rules so that his club entered the league with substantially better terms than the two teams the joined the league the year before? Bravo if he was smart enough to lobby for the rule changes but let's also remember that a lot of Atlanta's success when compared to ours can be attributed to them playing by completely differently rules. You still have to spend and spend wisely to take advantage as Minn United makes very clear so credit to Atlanta. But I do think we have to remember that Atlanta was not forced to start with a team of Grabavoy's, Wingert's, and Brovsky's. I don't disagree that Atlanta has out executed NYCFC at every turn but I do think the rule set we started with put us easily 2 years behind if we think about how long it took the shed all the dead weight.

It was impossible for NYCFC to get 55+ points in the first year like ATL and LAFC did, and pretty close to impossible to win the league in Year 2.
On the other hand, the DP rules were the same for us as for those teams, and CFG intentionally chose to have NYCFC play its first 20 games with just 1 DP on the roster.
Atlanta had 3 excellent DPs in its first year. We have not had 3 cumulatively in 4 years.

Alternative history speculation: if the new expansion team rules were in effect in 2014 and NYCFC had a chance to excel from the start, does CFG still pull the Lampardgate stunt? I honestly find it hard to answer. It's possible they pulled that BS in part because they knew we had no chance anyway.

It was impossible for NYCFC to get 55+ points in the first year like ATL and LAFC did, and pretty close to impossible to win the league in Year 2.
On the other hand, the DP rules were the same for us as for those teams, and CFG intentionally chose to have NYCFC play its first 20 games with just 1 DP on the roster.
Atlanta had 3 excellent DPs in its first year. We have not had 3 cumulatively in 4 years.

Alternative history speculation: if the new expansion team rules were in effect in 2014 and NYCFC had a chance to excel from the start, does CFG still pull the Lampardgate stunt? I honestly find it hard to answer. It's possible they pulled that BS in part because they knew we had no chance anyway.

Very valid points, sadly I think the supporting cast may have been better but given atlantas expansion rule set CFG still does the DPs exactly as it happened, with the Lampard stunt and DP3 being Pirlo mid season in 2015.

Reactions: adam and mgarbowski
Was there a rule against NYCFC building a stadium?

Was there a rule against NYCFC building a $60 million training facility?

Was there a rule against NYCFC paying a transfer fee?

You want to point out that Atlanta has more cap flexibility, fine. I’m on board. But the rules are even now and they’re kicking our ass.

2019 MLS Cup Prediction Namechecks: ATLUTD, TFC, DCU, NYRB, LAFC, SEA
Your way-too-early 2019 MLS Cup predictions
Completely missing, irrelevant and not even an afterthought: NYCFC. And I can't fault the panel at all. Until we make some big splashes this offseason, we're not even in the discussion for top tier.

Last edited:
2019 MLS Cup Prediction Namechecks: ATLUTD, TFC, DCU, NYRB, LAFC, SEA
Your way-too-early 2019 MLS Cup predictions
Completely missing, irrelevant and not even an afterthought: NYCFC. And I can't fault the panel at all. Until we makes some big splashes this offseason, we're not even in the discussion for top tier.

Atlanta and RBNY are no brainers, Toronto and LAFC are solid bets, Seattle meh, D.C. lol.

Last edited:
Atlanta and RBNY are no brainers, Toronto and LAFC are solid bets, Seattle meh, D.C. lol. But come on, are you really worried about predictions from the league media crew? Well into February and March they were hyping up RSL and Orlando as teams to beat in 2018.
I never said the predictions are on point. I said I don't blame them for not having us in the discussion right now, until and if we make a splash. Can you? We are currently irrelevant.

I never said the predictions are on point. I said I don't blame them for not having us in the discussion right now, until and if we make a splash. Can you? We are currently irrelevant.

Losing Villa and Herrera creates some question marks for NYCFC. So will Atlanta losing Tata and Almirón, RBNY losing Adams and hoping BWP has another good year in him, Toronto figuring out how to rebuild around the Bradley and Altidore contracts, LAFC trying to shore up its back two lines, and so on.

We've got the core of our squad back, a smart coach with ideas about how he wants to play, a strong soccer ops team under Reyna, CFG's network and scouting resources at our disposal, and cap room to work with. Until we see what happens in the offseason, I feel pretty good about our 2019 prospects. The big question is whether we'll spend as ambitiously as some of these other teams.

Last edited: