2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Why would we make Abdul-Salaam an offer when we couldn't be assed giving him a chance last year??

Because he balled the fuck out in Phoenix. They almost won the cup. Rawls probably got an offer too but he likely wanted to stay at home with OC. No reason for Rawls to come back here, away from family, to play backup. He was easily going to be a top 5 keeper in USL until he got injured. Still finished 7th. I think Saad would be foolish to sign again here. He can play and should go where he can start.

Because he balled the fuck out in Phoenix. They almost won the cup. Rawls probably got an offer too but he likely wanted to stay at home with OC. No reason for Rawls to come back here, away from family, to play backup. He was easily going to be a top 5 keeper in USL until he got injured. Still finished 7th. I think Saad would be foolish to sign again here. He can play and should go where he can start.

There are a lot of teams that would like to have a guy that good at right back. If we trade him, we will get some GAM out of the deal. Question is whether we will get the same amount we would have gotten for Khiry last year.

And yet every time Lewis stepped on the field he made things happen offensively. I’m so over the knock on him defensively because I saw veteran players flub their assignments and we were always giving up goals, so why blame just Lewis?
It's not blaming "Just Lewis", but watching his effort away from the ball and his recovery efforts, might as well be playing a man down. I like to look at Jack year 1 vs year 2 and compare those to Lewis year 1 vs year 2. I had the same things to say about Jack year 1 and he grew leaps and bounds year 2 and became a much more complete player. Lewis has stayed in the same rut he's been in and looks like it's going to stay that way.
lol damn you went deep there, be ready for massive team lewis fans attacking you
Smacked a wasps' nest but had to be done.

So who do we protect for the Expansion Draft?

1. Sean Johnson
2. Anton Tinnerholm
3. Sebastien Ibeagha
4. Alex Callens
5. Ronald Matarrita
6. Ben Sweat
7. Alex Ring
8. Maxi Moralez
9. Jesus Medina
10. Valentine Castellanos
11. Ismael Tajouri-Shradi

Automatically Protected: Joe Scally, James Sands, Jonathan Lewis

That leaves the following players unprotected: Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell, Cedric Hountondji, Daniel Bedoya, Jo Inge Berget

1. Sean Johnson
2. Anton Tinnerholm
3. Sebastien Ibeagha
4. Alex Callens
5. Ronald Matarrita
6. Ben Sweat
7. Alex Ring
8. Maxi Moralez
9. Jesus Medina

That leaves the following players unprotected: Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell, Cedric Hountondji, Daniel Bedoya, Jo Inge Berget
This seems right.

Bedoya got 0 minutes. I think he made the 18 once. I realize he costs less than a latte, but -- he must be a highly energetic practice player or something.
To my eye, dude looked really good in training. Clever player. Did not look out of his depth.

Reactions: mgarbowski
It's not blaming "Just Lewis", but watching his effort away from the ball and his recovery efforts, might as well be playing a man down. I like to look at Jack year 1 vs year 2 and compare those to Lewis year 1 vs year 2. I had the same things to say about Jack year 1 and he grew leaps and bounds year 2 and became a much more complete player. Lewis has stayed in the same rut he's been in and looks like it's going to stay that way.

Smacked a wasps' nest but had to be done.
Lewis can't make leaps and bounds if he isn't playing consistently to prove. Jack played week in week out and was able to improve. Players won't get better unless there are getting games and Lewis I don't agree lacks defensive concentration cuz on the press he has been good. But when a player doesn't play consistently or even comes of the bench consistently he won't improve in the parts of his games he needs to improve in.

Here is the effect of the departing players on our salary cap.
  • David Villa - $504k , plus one open DP slot.
  • Maxim Chanot - $408k*
  • Ebenezer Ofori - $381k*
  • Rodney Wallace - $300k
  • Yangel Herrera - $200k
  • Tommy McNamara - $200k
  • Eloi Amagat - $130k#
  • Saad Abdul-Salaam - $120k
  • Andre Rawls - $0^
  • Kwame Awuah - $0^
TOTAL - $2,243k (less amounts bought down by TAM)

* - some portion of this amount may be bought down by TAM.
# - half his annual salary of $261k.
^ - on supplmental or reserve roster, so compensation doesn't hit cap; earns $56k to $69k.

1. Sean Johnson
2. Anton Tinnerholm
3. Sebastien Ibeagha
4. Alex Callens
5. Ronald Matarrita
6. Ben Sweat
7. Alex Ring
8. Maxi Moralez
9. Jesus Medina

Wow ... that's a pretty good job by the front office making sure Cincinnati does not have much to choose from. Can't imagine they take any of those guys.

n
Can't say someone is horrible who has barely played. Lewis is lucky to even be on the roster at this point. He has attitude problems, is lazy defensively and struggled in the USL while on loan to the best club. Would rather give Tati the spot to see what he can do when not thrown in right after a transfer and has a full preseason to gel. Lewis is a lost cause and a super sub at this point, if that.

By the way, remember Taty "Lazy defense" caused a goal against Atlanta and he didn't redeem himself by scoring or getting an assist. If Lewis can't defend he sure as hell produces on offense.

Lewis can't make leaps and bounds if he isn't playing consistently to prove. Jack played week in week out and was able to improve. Players won't get better unless there are getting games and Lewis I don't agree lacks defensive concentration cuz on the press he has been good. But when a player doesn't play consistently or even comes of the bench consistently he won't improve in the parts of his games he needs to improve in.
Agreed with the minutes/improvement aspect. But it also circles back to attitude levels. He's now fallen out of favor with a second coach, and one of which has known him since he was little. If he isn't putting the work in at practice, and showing the mindset that the coaches are looking for, then he has no place.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
Agreed with the minutes/improvement aspect. But it also circles back to attitude levels. He's now fallen out of favor with a second coach, and one of which has known him since he was little. If he isn't putting the work in at practice, and showing the mindset that the coaches are looking for, then he has no place.
Which coach (that’s known him since he was little) did he fall out of favor with? Are you talking about his loan, because as far as I know there hasn’t been any public feedback on his stint?

Yeah, I like Lewis but I’m concerned that he hasn’t found a consistent place with either Patrick or Dome. (And, Korker Korker , are you referring to the USL coach as the one who knows Lewis from an early age?) And at this point I wouldn’t bet he ever will.

Similar to R roxfontaine ’s take on Saad, I hope for his own sake Lewis moves this offseason. If we’re not going to use him, he should go somewhere he can play.

Glad they cleaned house. Losing Chanot sucks but there definitely was something personal going on behind the scenes. Best of luck to him.

Post Jason Kreis, we have been very good at identifying CB talent, so I am optimistic that we will find a replacement.

Taty is an interesting move, and I wonder how much he cost.