2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I'm actually not surprised by this. I've heard about the NYC priority before. I just think they were caught flat-footed by the Atlanta and LAFC success (in part due to rule changes others noted but also because Blank disrupted the entire MLS business model) and haven't adjusted properly yet. I also think the stadium situation turned sour in ways that neither MLS, CFG or the Yankees anticipated, probably due to De Blasio's hard line. I also think they might have underestimated how hard it is to break through in NYC
Agreed with all points said. The rule changes were killer since they happened literally the expansion wave. Blank disrupted because MLS loves who he is (and his money) and have no problem with him being the face of the owners in MLS (Which it should be for everything he's done down there)

The stadium. Yikes. I can go on for literally days about where CFG have gone wrong, starting before they even announced a team when it was purely speculation. De Blasio has played a major part in it all (i'd say about 60%) but CFG have shot themselves in the foot at every juncture, either with the private companies they are dealing with to try to get the land, the developers they have employed to assist with it, or the state trying to get either state land or federal endorsement to help secure land. It's been a nightmare that I don't think anyone in CFG even thought of as a possibility to this point. (Also evidenced by those leaked emails last year)

Agreed that we are past the knowledge point and into speculation for most of it. Interesting tidbit, not sure if it helps one way or another, but I was recently at a CFG organized event last weekend and spoke to a couple of CFG employees (Guys that have a ear to the ground but don't have a viable stake in sugar coating so they tell it like it is mostly) and they brought up an interesting point. CFG actually care about NYCFC to a very high degree, which is why they are so stubborn on getting their own coaches and systems in apposed to other CFG owned teams. From what I could gather, they view NYCFC on a higher tier than all their other clubs, MCFC withstanding. They want to be able to use NYCFC as a success story for both club and players to help grow their global reach on players. Again, this part is hear-say and take it with a grain of salt, but they did also tell me that MLS has privately fined CFG for roster tampering with the way they managed a lot of loans and rule bending in season 1, so I'm sure that also plays a part into how CFG have changed operating procedures within the Western Hemisphere.
Are you sure you aren’t the Intern - new account, singing the praises, etc. That’s some interesting hearsay from CFG employees coming on the heels of a cup bouncing - typical stuff to soften the blow to the villagers as pitchforks are being sharpened. I’m just messing with you, the intern has multiple burner accounts to keep their persona darkened :)

That said, even if true, CFG has got a lot of room to improve regarding the narrative they’re trying to spin of NYCFCbeig a success story. We’re falling back each year compared to how the new expansion teams are approaching roster construction and stadiums.

Also, that’s kinda comical that MLS has fined NYCFC for year 1 roster issues - that was the worst constructed roster we’ve had and there were few loans that’s need a second look - Lampard being the most blatant, so maybe it’s all because of that fiasco.

Are you sure you aren’t the Intern - new account, singing the praises, etc. That’s some interesting hearsay from CFG employees coming on the heels of a cup bouncing - typical stuff to soften the blow to the villagers as pitchforks are being sharpened. I’m just messing with you, the intern has multiple burner accounts to keep their persona darkened :)

That said, even if true, CFG has got a lot of room to improve regarding the narrative they’re trying to spin of NYCFCbeig a success story. We’re falling back each year compared to how the new expansion teams are approaching roster construction and stadiums.

Also, that’s kinda comical that MLS has fined NYCFC for year 1 roster issues - that was the worst constructed roster we’ve had and there were few loans that’s need a second look - Lampard being the most blatant, so maybe it’s all because of that fiasco.
Just one burner account: @NotACFGIntern ;)

Agreed. I also don't think they anticipated teams like ATL and LAFC coming in and having the success that they have had. I also think they overlooked the overall quality of the league as a whole and thought they could get it done with a bunch of "C" players from Europe. I honestly think we will see a large philosophy shift in the way the team is ran over the next 2 years. The way I see it playing out is they attempt to bring over a few more signings and hope that they can stay relevant. When that fails, and Dome is gone, they will bring in someone like Hackworth from Louisville and they will start going the youth route like many other teams are doing (and having success with) It's going to be a few bumpy years if they don't right the ship, that's for sure.

The City is absolutely a draw, but it can't draw everyone. Its probably a net draw overall, mainly for its notoriety, but we also have some challenges.
250k is much different in New York than it is in Orlando, especially for someone in their mid to late twenties who can't be sure how long they have left in the game.

This can be overcome by paying more, but if we have to pay guys 400k that Orlando can pay 350k, that hurts in a cap league.

Don't engage this guy. He doesn't watch any games and just occasionally comes 9n to troll.
ETA - was late on this - Word. I heard they offset the cost of living discrepancies with all kinds of tricks tho. But yeh that probably makes a difference.

I've seen D dkalev2 at more games than I've seen you at ;)

Last edited:
Is this 100% and is it based on locality or flat rate?

100% true. Great question on locality or flat rate. I don't know. I know that our guys and the LA Galaxy guys were getting about $1,500 a month. Maybe it is a flat rate.

NOTE: Just wanted to add that I don't believe the living allowances are in the CBA. I don't know if that means certain teams provide the allowances but not all do.

100% true. Great question on locality or flat rate. I don't know. I know that our guys and the LA Galaxy guys were getting about $1,500 a month. Maybe it is a flat rate.

NOTE: Just wanted to add that I don't believe the living allowances are in the CBA. I don't know if that means certain teams provide the allowances but not all do.

The allowances are by individual contract not stipulated by the CBA, but the CBA says that they are part of the salary budget charge. So it's not something where NYCFC could go crazy and pay for everyone's housing with no effect

The allowances are by individual contract not stipulated by the CBA, but the CBA says that they are part of the salary budget charge. So it's not something where NYCFC could go crazy and pay for everyone's housing with no effect

Interesting you mention by individual contract. I forget what Gerrard's housing allowance was but it was something stupid like $30k a month.

Lol, so that basically wipes out any effort to account for CPI then. Thanks for nothing.

ETA - Actually, worse than nothing, because it likely hits the cap before tax is taken out, so they need to add pre-tax dollars to make it possible for the players to actually buy what they need it for. So we'd only bother for DPs anyway. Which is another kick in the nuts for equality and team morale.

ETA - although I guess that would happen under regular government rules anyway I think, so nevermind.

Reactions: Kjbert
Just one burner account: @NotACFGIntern ;)

Agreed. I also don't think they anticipated teams like ATL and LAFC coming in and having the success that they have had. I also think they overlooked the overall quality of the league as a whole and thought they could get it done with a bunch of "C" players from Europe. I honestly think we will see a large philosophy shift in the way the team is ran over the next 2 years. The way I see it playing out is they attempt to bring over a few more signings and hope that they can stay relevant. When that fails, and Dome is gone, they will bring in someone like Hackworth from Louisville and they will start going the youth route like many other teams are doing (and having success with) It's going to be a few bumpy years if they don't right the ship, that's for sure.

There aren't many ways to gain a competitive advantage in MLS, and a good academy is a big one - maybe the biggest. I have faith that the Club really want a top notch academy. I just wish they understood how important it is to have it producing from the start.

Atlanta already has academy players producing on the roster. Meanwhile, CFG is taking the same slow, deliberate approach to the academy that it is to everything else (USL team, Stadium, etc.). It's an advantage we should have that we don't, at least not yet.

There aren't many ways to gain a competitive advantage in MLS, and a good academy is a big one - maybe the biggest. I have faith that the Club really want a top notch academy. I just wish they understood how important it is to have it producing from the start.

Atlanta already has academy players producing on the roster. Meanwhile, CFG is taking the same slow, deliberate approach to the academy that it is to everything else (USL team, Stadium, etc.). It's an advantage we should have that we don't, at least not yet.
The issue isn't with the academy. Our academies are probably the most successful things going to be honest. The issue is with the lack of a USL team. We have no clear cut pipeline to the 1st team. Goes Academies - Floating in no mans land - pray *insert player* makes 1st team. If we had a USL team, the youth part of it would take care of itself.

I know the Rough Riders on LI are applying for USL status and are working on trying to get a stadium, so I wonder if they are in a wait and see approach with them. If not, we probably won't get a USL team until we have our own stadium so that the USL team can play out of it as well. It's amazing how with one issue solved (the stadium), it can fix a lot of our other issues.

The issue isn't with the academy. Our academies are probably the most successful things going to be honest. The issue is with the lack of a USL team. We have no clear cut pipeline to the 1st team. Goes Academies - Floating in no mans land - pray *insert player* makes 1st team. If we had a USL team, the youth part of it would take care of itself.

I know the Rough Riders on LI are applying for USL status and are working on trying to get a stadium, so I wonder if they are in a wait and see approach with them. If not, we probably won't get a USL team until we have our own stadium so that the USL team can play out of it as well. It's amazing how with one issue solved (the stadium), it can fix a lot of our other issues.
Rough Riders are technically already USL they are just in the third tier (division)