2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
For me, it’s worth it if we get to a point where we have three or four homegrowns on the roster and getting minutes (even minimal) each season. Hopefully we can even get a starter or two. There’s not a lot that really connects a club to the city when players and coaches move so easily in the international market. (And where y’all call for sacking a tactically interesting and genuinely communicative manager after half a season just because we’re not the best in the league.) The academy is one of the few things that can really be *ours*. And I think that’s more important for the team than any $15 million sale.
Exactly.

The Red Bulls just set a league record for points and may win the Cup, and the biggest reason will be the quality of their academy.

And where y’all call for sacking a tactically interesting and genuinely communicative manager after half a season
Or, put another way, sacking a coach who had half of a season and didn’t put anything on the field to indicate he’s capable of turning around results that were indeed close to the worst in the league.

For me, it’s worth it if we get to a point where we have three or four homegrowns on the roster and getting minutes (even minimal) each season. Hopefully we can even get a starter or two. There’s not a lot that really connects a club to the city when players and coaches move so easily in the international market. (And where y’all call for sacking a tactically interesting and genuinely communicative manager after half a season just because we’re not the best in the league.) The academy is one of the few things that can really be *ours*. And I think that’s more important for the team than any $15 million sale.

Absolutely. It pays off in so many ways and should be a central investment for any big budget club, especially in such a massive metro area.
The only reason FC Dallas is relevant is due to their academy. The Texas metroplex is probably the biggest hotbed for youth talent in the country and they have capitalized on it despite being low budget elsewhere. It will be interesting to see what kind of profile Pareja's replacement will have.

Or, put another way, sacking a coach who had half of a season and didn’t put anything on the field to indicate he’s capable of turning around results that were indeed close to the worst in the league.
I think this only looks true if you look at the second half as a homogenous blob. Split into quarters I think you see something different.

I keep referencing the mgarbowski mgarbowski analysis of the dummyrun dummyrun analysis which segments the second half into two halves. First half is tweaking. Second half is experimentation. Final 120 minutes of regular season and playoffs I saw something coming together.

I'd throw away the experimentation phase almost entirely. If you look at the tweaking phase and the playoffs I think there is enough to warrant at least a full off-season and the first half of 2019. I'd hope that we will be ready to make a change at the halfway point if we still aren't seeing positive signs.

I think this tweet will be a useful reference point in thinking about what to expect for next season.

Wow, the latest City graph is almost perfectly symmetrical and so compact. Also interesting how David Silva manages to forge that connection with the left winger without being connected to. Sterling on the other side is extremely active. I guess these types of graphs obscure relationships with time. From watching City, it seems they use the right wing more commonly as their outlet, and the left wing is often on the end of that.

I could imagine our front 5 being Shradi, Medina, A striker, Maxi, Taty next season.

I think this only looks true if you look at the second half as a homogenous blob. Split into quarters I think you see something different.

I keep referencing the mgarbowski mgarbowski analysis of the dummyrun dummyrun analysis which segments the second half into two halves. First half is tweaking. Second half is experimentation. Final 120 minutes of regular season and playoffs I saw something coming together.

I'd throw away the experimentation phase almost entirely. If you look at the tweaking phase and the playoffs I think there is enough to warrant at least a full off-season and the first half of 2019. I'd hope that we will be ready to make a change at the halfway point if we still aren't seeing positive signs.
Except that you have to look at the second half separate from the first because the first was PVs tactics and the second was Dome’s. If Dome is willing to go with PVs tactics, he’ll be fine as a permanent caretaker manager. If he wants to use his own, that didn’t work at all with an MLS-talented roster, and he’s looking to overhaul it (which is what many people’s desire is to give him his guys), then you have to judge him solely on the failed second half of the season. Even the playoff matches were listless with how the club was attacking in the box.

It’s one thing to be optimistic because there’s evidence to support the optimism, but it’s another to blindly follow because of the sexiness that his past stints (run by Pep) achieved. I haven’t seen any evidence that the team has an idea of what to do in the final third. They play possession for the sake of possession in the middle. They are impotent on corners and set pieces, save Chanot’s goal that was more due to the defender ball watching than marking his man. His man-management is highly suspect beyond just horrible bench/sub choices - he killed the team’s chances in the first Atlanta match by over-playing the roster three matches in a week in what were do/die types.

He tries to coach as if he’s got All-world players that can adopt any tactic put forth, much like what Pep had at Barcelona, Munich, ManCity - that’s easy coaching. Unfortunately, he’s not living that scenario and it takes a more astute manager to realize the limitations of the players and what can both be absorbed and implemented. For that, he naïve to the realities of MLS.

Reactions: BxLio91
Reactions: Kjbert
Except that you have to look at the second half separate from the first because the first was PVs tactics and the second was Dome’s. If Dome is willing to go with PVs tactics, he’ll be fine as a permanent caretaker manager. If he wants to use his own, that didn’t work at all with an MLS-talented roster, and he’s looking to overhaul it (which is what many people’s desire is to give him his guys), then you have to judge him solely on the failed second half of the season. Even the playoff matches were listless with how the club was attacking in the box.

It’s one thing to be optimistic because there’s evidence to support the optimism, but it’s another to blindly follow because of the sexiness that his past stints (run by Pep) achieved. I haven’t seen any evidence that the team has an idea of what to do in the final third. They play possession for the sake of possession in the middle. They are impotent on corners and set pieces, save Chanot’s goal that was more due to the defender ball watching than marking his man. His man-management is highly suspect beyond just horrible bench/sub choices - he killed the team’s chances in the first Atlanta match by over-playing the roster three matches in a week in what were do/die types.

He tries to coach as if he’s got All-world players that can adopt any tactic put forth, much like what Pep had at Barcelona, Munich, ManCity - that’s easy coaching. Unfortunately, he’s not living that scenario and it takes a more astute manager to realize the limitations of the players and what can both be absorbed and implemented. For that, he naïve to the realities of MLS.
I think "permanent caretaker manager" vs "overhaul" is a false dichotomy.

I think the first half (or third quarter if you will) was him figuring out the limitations of Vieira ball. The fourth quarter was him trying to figure out the limitations of the squad. The last 300 minutes gave us a preview of the script he would like to implement, executed with non-optimal players.

I think "permanent caretaker manager" vs "overhaul" is a false dichotomy.

I think the first half (or third quarter if you will) was him figuring out the limitations of Vieira ball. The fourth quarter was him trying to figure out the limitations of the squad. The last 300 minutes gave us a preview of the script he would like to implement, executed with non-optimal players.
I very much meant permanent caretaker when I wrote it. If a manager cannot implement their own tactics, for whatever reason and so far there’s no evidence Dome can, and instead rely on the genius (I use that term loosely) of another, then they are nothing more than a caretaker. He can overhaul the team as much as he wants, but he’s going to find the limitations of MLS rosters and cap space will not allow him to find the Pep-ball players he wants.

Absolutely. It pays off in so many ways and should be a central investment for any big budget club, especially in such a massive metro area.
The only reason FC Dallas is relevant is due to their academy. The Texas metroplex is probably the biggest hotbed for youth talent in the country and they have capitalized on it despite being low budget elsewhere. It will be interesting to see what kind of profile Pareja's replacement will have.

Not to mention that the two best players to come out of their Academy ever are playing for Schalke and Bayern Munich right now

I very much meant permanent caretaker when I wrote it. If a manager cannot implement their own tactics, for whatever reason and so far there’s no evidence Dome can, and instead rely on the genius (I use that term loosely) of another, then they are nothing more than a caretaker. He can overhaul the team as much as he wants, but he’s going to find the limitations of MLS rosters and cap space will not allow him to find the Pep-ball players he wants.
I was trying to make the point that IMO he has been spending time discovering and adjusting to the limitations so far.

I agree that he hasn't shown he can implement his own plan yet. When I talked about a false dichotomy, I meant that there is a third way - not overhaul, nor derivation, but evolution - taking Pep ball and adapting it to the limitations that we are both referring to.

If a manager cannot implement their own tactics, for whatever reason and so far there’s no evidence Dome can, and instead rely on the genius (I use that term loosely) of another, then they are nothing more than a caretaker.

This is a trash take on so many levels.

For starters, if you don't think Dome "implemented his own tactics," what team were you even watching? We switched to a new formation in his very first game. We cycled through interesting variations on the 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, and 4-4-2 diamond as he adjusted to opponents and his available squad. He tried players in new positions. He even tried positions in new positions. This was in no way a continuation of Vieira's tactics, as some people on this forum have contended, and it certainly wasn't a copy of Manchester City. It was a tactically astute coach working to make the most of what he was given. Whether or not you think he succeeded, at least pay attention to what he did.

As for taking cues from other coaches, how the hell do you think tactics develop? Do you think people just sit around in a dark room dreaming up new ways to play soccer? Guardiola learned from Cruyff and Bielsa. Vieira learned, sort of, from an earlier iteration of Guardiola. Now Torrent is trying to catch the team up with what's been going on in Europe for the last five years. Of course he's relying on the genius of others. That's what coaches do.

And don't even get me started on that parenthetical. If you're not sure whether Guardiola's a good soccer coach, honestly man, just find another sport. This one's not for you.

This is a trash take on so many levels.

For starters, if you don't think Dome "implemented his own tactics," what team were you even watching? We switched to a new formation in his very first game. We cycled through interesting variations on the 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, and 4-4-2 diamond as he adjusted to opponents and his available squad. He tried players in new positions. He even tried positions in new positions. This was in no way a continuation of Vieira's tactics, as some people on this forum have contended, and it certainly wasn't a copy of Manchester City. It was a tactically astute coach working to make the most of what he was given. Whether or not you think he succeeded, at least pay attention to what he did.

As for taking cues from other coaches, how the hell do you think tactics develop? Do you think people just sit around in a dark room dreaming up new ways to play soccer? Guardiola learned from Cruyff and Bielsa. Vieira learned, sort of, from an earlier iteration of Guardiola. Now Torrent is trying to catch the team up with what's been going on in Europe for the last five years. Of course he's relying on the genius of others. That's what coaches do.

And don't even get me started on that parenthetical. If you're not sure whether Guardiola's a good soccer coach, honestly man, just find another sport. This one's not for you.
Your reading comprehension was trash on so many levels. Seriously, read before you write a novel.

He definitely implemented his tactics and he failed miserably. My point is if a manager cannot implement them, because he’s either a fraud or he doesn’t have the players - which means he shouldn’t have done it in the first place but instead overreached - either way, he wasn’t able to implement them.

And spare me the lecture on tactics - I have a very good grasp on them and the sport. My eye doesn’t lie like advanced stats do when they’re molded to a predetermined hypothesis. No offense bud, but we read novels all year long on how close he was to success and if that’s your definition of success then maybe you need a new sport because your advanced stats have a truly bad interpretation of Dome’s success.

For starters, if you don't think Dome "implemented his own tactics," what team were you even watching? We switched to a new formation in his very first game. We cycled through interesting variations on the 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, and 4-4-2 diamond as he adjusted to opponents and his available squad. He tried players in new positions. He even tried positions in new positions. This was in no way a continuation of Vieira's tactics, as some people on this forum have contended, and it certainly wasn't a copy of Manchester City.
At the same time, I don't think it was how he wanted to play.

He made a big point of talking about how easily those results could have gone the other way because we weren't playing with control. The long cold streak where we played the diamond could be seen as an attempt to establish a habit of slowing things down and building that ability to control the game. We haven't been able to play controlled and fast at the same time, though. Yet.

So I think it's fair to say we don't know that he can successfully implement his own tactics yet.

Last edited: