2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Well Tata’s got about 3 weeks max left as manager of Atlanta. Most likely whoever they get next won’t be the same draw.

Anyway I think the discussion is more about which city and not manager and citywise NYC > Atlanta in terms of an international draw hands down.

Don’t tell me what the convo is about, I started it. I was making a point that players in Europe would consider those other teams over us, even if the money is equal. And I used Tata as the reason for Atlanta right now as why players said publicly they chose that location (and that’s when we had PV who was a draw). I’m very curious to see who Atlanta replaces him with. If they go balls out and hire Arsene, well then fuck us, we’re still behind them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich
That’s why I said it’s all relative. 8.35% NY tax, or whatever it’s up to now, is a kick in the teeth compared to Florida with no state tax and Georgia with a fraction. Throw in property taxes that are infinitely higher in NY/NJ/CT and a player with a family wanting a house with a yard is paying a massive premium for that privilege. With the exception of a few, most NYC sports teams’ players don’t live in the city, so what you’re describing as the pluses aren’t generally seen as such by them. There will be a few like Villa and Jeter and Pirlo that like the city, but check out the football and baseball teams and many live outside of the city limits.

What I wrote had nothing to do with a lack of pride in my city, a place I’ve been for nearly a quarter century, where my daughter was born and is being raised, but rather a counter argument to the “NYC is the best place to play” meme that just isn’t the case across the board. I really hope CFG can lure great players here over Beckham’s Miami and the star-power owners of LAFC, but we have a shitty venue that gets dumped on in the media and over the past few windows a history of miserly pockets.
This is all fair, but I'm not sure I would compare baseball and football players that have grown up in the US with international soccer players. The baseball and football players often do live outside of city limits, but they've been living in the states their whole lives. While some of them may not have actually lived in the city, they have an understanding of what it's all about. Additionally, for those two sports, they typically go where they are offered the most money, not necessarily are looking at where they would like to live the most (I'm sure there are exceptions to this). So I think for these guys, state taxes and everything else you pointed out I bet are much more in play.

For international soccer players, they have options. The MLB and NFL don't have other leagues that they really compete with. International soccer players could get similar money here, in many different leagues in Europe, possibly in Asia. They have a bit more selection in terms of where they may want to live. Additionally, this group I am talking about has either never lived in, or maybe very briefly has lived in the US. And NYC is a massive draw to that. I don't think the suburbs of Atlanta are as much (and again, I'm sure there are exceptions to this).

For drawing international talent, NYC is definitely at or near the top of best places to live and play (take out all the other sporting aspects of it; team, stadium, coach, etc.). I really only see Miami and LA as the ones that would really compete for this across the board. I am sure there are some who may prefer other cities (Bastian in Chicago).

New York is one of the great cities in the world, and players can enjoy it in relative anonymity. That may not be for everyone, but it attracts a lot of people.
I know this is why Pirlo loved it here. He was able to walk the streets and just be a normal person. His family wasn't constantly being harassed when they would do simple things like go to the stores or to dinners and that lifestyle appeals to a lot of players who wouldn't have those opportunities in European markets.

Atlanta was a hot destination because of Tata. Players wanted to play for Tata, just as players wanted to play for PV. (Watch any interview with any of his transfers and they all say the same thing. Once they heard PV on the other end of the line, they were in)
I love when my City friends come visit me in Western MA. Everytime they see my house and yard, and I proudly brag about how relatively little I paid for it, they all start looking at indeed.
Atlanta has similar prices to my area, but the added advantage of much lower taxes. If I were being recruited to work for companies around the US, I've got to say NYC has major disadvantages in all regards. Extraordinarily high housing costs, tax to death, small spaces. Only San Jose is in a similar situation in this league.

Meanwhile, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, are very attractive.

This situation has to be a net negative for us in attracting players with families.

I'd like to think that major players coming from Europe won't really care about land prices where they are living considering most would of made more money than they know what to do with. A lot of players already have houses/apartments/condos in the US that are from Europe. Ronaldo has a house in Miami, apartment in NYC and a house (if it's not burned down at this poiint) in LA. Same with a lot of other players, so I really doubt the price tag associated to the land/cost of living would impact players in that regard. Players will want to play in larger markets where they can market their brands the best. NYC, LA, Miami are all monster branding opportunities, which will play a major role in wherever a large name player goes.
Assuming Villa is out (sniff), I wish NYCFC would back up the armored truck for guys like Griezmann, Cavani, Aguero - but this has a 0.00% of happening for $$ and contract reasons.

I think the target is more on guys like Benedetto (he’d be ridiculous here).
I've been of the mind set that after Aguero's new extension runs out, he'll have a pit stop here for a season or two before retirement. (Especially if they don't bring in another big name player to put butts in seats in the next two years.) Cavani is an interesting case. He's still very useful to European sides and has been a goal a game player in France. Wonder if CFG would entice him and say "Come play at City for a season or two, get a few more deep CL runs in, try to help us win, then go play for NYC after." Could become a very interesting situation. Greizmann is going to Miami. That's been the worst kept secret in all of soccer.

The City is absolutely a draw, but it can't draw everyone. Its probably a net draw overall, mainly for its notoriety, but we also have some challenges.
250k is much different in New York than it is in Orlando, especially for someone in their mid to late twenties who can't be sure how long they have left in the game.

This can be overcome by paying more, but if we have to pay guys 400k that Orlando can pay 350k, that hurts in a cap league.

Don't engage this guy. He doesn't watch any games and just occasionally comes 9n to troll.

I've always wondered if the team is quietly paying for many of the players apartments to help offset the cost of living challenges. I'd assume it's against MLS rules but I'd also bet it's not something that's closely scrutinized.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Notwithstanding a couple of quick nods to what he is saying, almost everyone arguing with Ulrich is pretending the conversation is only about top DPs who made all the money they need and can easily afford both a Manhattan apartment and the tax hit on the $4-8 million they will make here. But that's a minority of the relevant set. Ulrich is absolutely right. For a $250k-$800k player from Norway, Senegal, or Uruguay, who's getting a pay raise and has not made his family independently wealthy already, and who probably already lives with at most modest fame, the tax and cost of living difference is huge. Also, making sure your kids get into a decent school is more complicated and difficult in NY than most places in the country. I think the only countervailing factor would be that their foreign agent might not be well versed in the crazy-quilt of tax laws in the US, especially since my understanding is that the standard in many other countries is for soccer salaries to be negotiated on a post-tax basis, which no MLS club is going to do. So those agents might just not be up to the task of advising their clients about this until it is too late.* NYC is likely a top choice for guys making maybe $200k, single, and in their early 20s, plus the 30-something multi-millionaire superstars. But for the married mid-range 28-year old with a couple of kids, it's a costly luxury, and many will choose other options. Ring is in that set and chose NYC. But it's far from a universal preference.

* "Why am I paying 3 separate income taxes and who the fuck is FICA?" Then wait for the screaming to start again when their accountant tells them they have to file in 15 different states for all the away games.

Last edited:
Notwithstanding a couple of quick nods to what he is saying, almost everyone arguing with Ulrich is pretending the conversation is only about top DPs who made all the money they need and can easily afford both a Manhattan apartment and the tax hit on the $4-8 million they will make here. But that's a minority of the relevant set. Ulrich is absolutely right. For a $250k-$800k player from Norway, Senegal, or Uruguay, who's getting a pay raise and has not made his family independently wealthy already, and who probably already lives with at most modest fame, the tax and cost of living difference is huge. Also, making sure your kids get into a decent school is more complicated and difficult in NY than most places in the country. I think the only countervailing factor would be that their foreign agent might not be well versed in the crazy-quilt of tax laws in the US, especially since my understanding is that the standard in many other countries is for soccer salaries to be negotiated on a post-tax basis, which no MLS club is going to do. So those agents might just not be up to the task of advising their clients about this until it is too late.* NYC is likely a top choice for guys making mayb $200k, single, and in their early 20s, plus the 30-something multi-millionaire superstars. But for the married mid-range 28-year old with a couple of kids, it's a costly luxury, and many will choose other options. Ring is in that set and chose NYC. But it's far from a universal preference.

* "Why am I paying 3 separate income taxes and who the fuck is FICA?" Then wait for the screaming to start again when their accountant tells them they have to file in 15 different states for all the away games.
I see your point in regards to the mid range players making in that salary range, but there are ways around it that people don't think of, one being marketing. I'm sure at this point everyone has seen the Etihad Airways commercials being played when Mata, Lewis and I think Wallace (Could be wrong on that last one) are running around Abu Duabi and jump back on the plane. That isn't a NYCFC commercial, that's an Etihad Airways commercial, and I'm sure they were compensated generously for it. This happens for multiple players across leagues in every sport, especially in the hard salary cap sports/leagues such as MLS and NHL (Where this happens a lot more frequently.) They tell a player "Come here, take a few thousand/million less than your worth and get the endorsements that come with it." Sure, some are self made endorsements, but most are facilitated through the team to help compensate that player accordingly. It's how teams can get around it and they do get around it. So if taxes/cost of living was truly a reason as to why they wouldn't want to come here, and their agent made that a known factor, I'm 100% positive NYCFC and CFG would get that person endorsements up the wazoo to get them here because it's a easy way to do so.

Notwithstanding a couple of quick nods to what he is saying, almost everyone arguing with Ulrich is pretending the conversation is only about top DPs who made all the money they need and can easily afford both a Manhattan apartment and the tax hit on the $4-8 million they will make here. But that's a minority of the relevant set. Ulrich is absolutely right. For a $250k-$800k player from Norway, Senegal, or Uruguay, who's getting a pay raise and has not made his family independently wealthy already, and who probably already lives with at most modest fame, the tax and cost of living difference is huge. Also, making sure your kids get into a decent school is more complicated and difficult in NY than most places in the country. I think the only countervailing factor would be that their foreign agent might not be well versed in the crazy-quilt of tax laws in the US, especially since my understanding is that the standard in many other countries is for soccer salaries to be negotiated on a post-tax basis, which no MLS club is going to do. So those agents might just not be up to the task of advising their clients about this until it is too late.* NYC is likely a top choice for guys making mayb $200k, single, and in their early 20s, plus the 30-something multi-millionaire superstars. But for the married mid-range 28-year old with a couple of kids, it's a costly luxury, and many will choose other options. Ring is in that set and chose NYC. But it's far from a universal preference.

From social media posts I think the majority of the younger guys live near the practice facility to keep costs down possibly in team housing. Also from social media posts based on the quality and location of the apartments guys like Ring and Wallace are living in within manhattan I'm convinced the team is doing something to subsidize them if not fully paying for them.

I see your point in regards to the mid range players making in that salary range, but there are ways around it that people don't think of, one being marketing. I'm sure at this point everyone has seen the Etihad Airways commercials being played when Mata, Lewis and I think Wallace (Could be wrong on that last one) are running around Abu Duabi and jump back on the plane. That isn't a NYCFC commercial, that's an Etihad Airways commercial, and I'm sure they were compensated generously for it. This happens for multiple players across leagues in every sport, especially in the hard salary cap sports/leagues such as MLS and NHL (Where this happens a lot more frequently.) They tell a player "Come here, take a few thousand/million less than your worth and get the endorsements that come with it." Sure, some are self made endorsements, but most are facilitated through the team to help compensate that player accordingly. It's how teams can get around it and they do get around it. So if taxes/cost of living was truly a reason as to why they wouldn't want to come here, and their agent made that a known factor, I'm 100% positive NYCFC and CFG would get that person endorsements up the wazoo to get them here because it's a easy way to do so.

There certainly are ways to manage it and obviously some do, but I think people overestimate the importance of large markets to branding and endorsements. Michael Jordan's agent agrees:

"Falk: In 2012, I find that to be incredible that someone would think that. We live in a digital age, and I think people like Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant -- Kevin Durant is incredibly marketable in Oklahoma. He doesn't have to be in New York or L.A. I think he could be the best player in the league in two years, at the most. And if someone said to you, "If you represented him, would you move him to New York?" I'd say, "No, for what? I think he has a certain homespun credibility being in Oklahoma. It's like Brett Favre being in Green Bay." And I think these guys are being told by these agents who aren't very sophisticated in marketing that you have to be in New York or L.A. to be marketable. Maybe they've never heard of the Internet."
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/03/02/david-falkqa

Now that's for the superstars. What about the midrange guys? I think it is even more true. Meram, Afful and Trapp can probably do TV ads and billboards for auto dealers or local restaurant chains in Columbus. Same for Martinez, Gressel or Villalba in Atlanta. In NYC? 95% of the city has no idea who Ring, Chanot or Callens are (hell, 80% probably has no idea who Villa is) and their marketing worth is close to zero outside of sports-related opportunities (Modells, etc.). For those types of ads it is better to be a big fish in a small or medium pond than a nobody in the biggest media market in the country.

There certainly ways to manage it and obviously some do, but I think people overestimate the importance of large markets to branding and endorsements. Michael Jordan's agent agrees:

"Falk: In 2012, I find that to be incredible that someone would think that. We live in a digital age, and I think people like Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant -- Kevin Durant is incredibly marketable in Oklahoma. He doesn't have to be in New York or L.A. I think he could be the best player in the league in two years, at the most. And if someone said to you, "If you represented him, would you move him to New York?" I'd say, "No, for what? I think he has a certain homespun credibility being in Oklahoma. It's like Brett Favre being in Green Bay." And I think these guys are being told by these agents who aren't very sophisticated in marketing that you have to be in New York or L.A. to be marketable. Maybe they've never heard of the Internet."

Now that's for the superstars. What about the midrange guys? I think it is even more true. Meram, Afful and Trapp can probably do TV ads and billboards for auto dealers or local restaurant chains in Columbus. Same for Martinez, Gressel or Villalba in Atlanta. In NYC? 95% of the city has no idea who Ring, Chanot or Callens are (hell, 80% probably has no idea who Villa is) and their marketing worth is close to zero outside of sports-related opportunities (Modells, etc.). For those types of ads it is better to be a big fish in a small or medium pond than a nobody in the biggest media market in the country.

hey i saw Sean Johnson doing a tire commercial.

There certainly ways to manage it and obviously some do, but I think people overestimate the importance of large markets to branding and endorsements. Michael Jordan's agent agrees:

I see your point and agree with the fact that the biggest name players in the game don't need the biggest cities in the world. But that's not really the point at hand. The point at hand is being the more midrange players. You're correct where I think a Meram or a Martinez would have more name recognition in the smaller cities they are in, but I don't think that would quickly equate to more money, since the large adverts won't be looking to them. What it really comes down to is CFG's ability to offer more concrete income in different ways than other teams. Yes, in NYC, they would be a medium fish in a ocean. But CFG are megalodons in a lake compared to the marketing opportunities that are available to them, so again, I don't see the taxes or cost of living being an issue because of the alternative revenue sources that come with playing for a CFG club.

I see your point and agree with the fact that the biggest name players in the game don't need the biggest cities in the world. But that's not really the point at hand. The point at hand is being the more midrange players. You're correct where I think a Meram or a Martinez would have more name recognition in the smaller cities they are in, but I don't think that would quickly equate to more money, since the large adverts won't be looking to them. What it really comes down to is CFG's ability to offer more concrete income in different ways than other teams. Yes, in NYC, they would be a medium fish in a ocean. But CFG are megalodons in a lake compared to the marketing opportunities that are available to them, so again, I don't see the taxes or cost of living being an issue because of the alternative revenue sources that come with playing for a CFG club.
I think there's a lot of assumptions in there for which I don't see evidence. I almost never see our guys in any kind of promotion unless I was made aware of it by the team itself. And I do not share your high opinion of CFG's capabilities -- specifically in New York -- based on their performance so far. They're by no means incompetent but they're not especially stellar either. But we're at the point where we're both probably beyond actual knowledge and facts so agree to disagree.

I think there's a lot of assumptions in there for which I don't see evidence. I almost never see our guys in any kind of promotion unless I was made aware of it by the team itself. And I do not share your high opinion of CFG's capabilities -- specifically in New York -- based on their performance so far. They're by no means incompetent but they're not especially stellar either. But we're at the point where we're both probably beyond actual knowledge and facts so agree to disagree.
Agreed that we are past the knowledge point and into speculation for most of it. Interesting tidbit, not sure if it helps one way or another, but I was recently at a CFG organized event last weekend and spoke to a couple of CFG employees (Guys that have a ear to the ground but don't have a viable stake in sugar coating so they tell it like it is mostly) and they brought up an interesting point. CFG actually care about NYCFC to a very high degree, which is why they are so stubborn on getting their own coaches and systems in apposed to other CFG owned teams. From what I could gather, they view NYCFC on a higher tier than all their other clubs, MCFC withstanding. They want to be able to use NYCFC as a success story for both club and players to help grow their global reach on players. Again, this part is hear-say and take it with a grain of salt, but they did also tell me that MLS has privately fined CFG for roster tampering with the way they managed a lot of loans and rule bending in season 1, so I'm sure that also plays a part into how CFG have changed operating procedures within the Western Hemisphere.

he didnt succeed because of his inability to win 50/50 balls, his awful touch, and terrible shooting. Villa had nothing to do with any of that.

EDIT: i feel like weve been disagreeing a lot lately. Would like to point out its not personal just coincidence.

We’re all just pissed off at the team. I don’t think you come off disagreeable

Agreed that we are past the knowledge point and into speculation for most of it. Interesting tidbit, not sure if it helps one way or another, but I was recently at a CFG organized event last weekend and spoke to a couple of CFG employees (Guys that have a ear to the ground but don't have a viable stake in sugar coating so they tell it like it is mostly) and they brought up an interesting point. CFG actually care about NYCFC to a very high degree, which is why they are so stubborn on getting their own coaches and systems in apposed to other CFG owned teams. From what I could gather, they view NYCFC on a higher tier than all their other clubs, MCFC withstanding. They want to be able to use NYCFC as a success story for both club and players to help grow their global reach on players. Again, this part is hear-say and take it with a grain of salt, but they did also tell me that MLS has privately fined CFG for roster tampering with the way they managed a lot of loans and rule bending in season 1, so I'm sure that also plays a part into how CFG have changed operating procedures within the Western Hemisphere.
I'm actually not surprised by this. I've heard about the NYC priority before. I just think they were caught flat-footed by the Atlanta and LAFC success (in part due to rule changes others noted but also because Blank disrupted the entire MLS business model) and haven't adjusted properly yet. I also think the stadium situation turned sour in ways that neither MLS, CFG or the Yankees anticipated, probably due to De Blasio's hard line. I also think they might have underestimated how hard it is to break through in NYC