2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
It's a tough question to answer. I'm waffling between the two this year as I think they've both been a bit more useful than some give them credit for, but they've also both been quite disappointing.

I will say, that if Medina can turn a corner next season, that his disappointments for this season become a bit more bearable.

If this really was Villa's last season here, then investing in the future when we had a win now team that needed another scorer is a HUGE FUCK UP. Even if he turns a corner next season, it's too late. We should have signed a 1 year DP like Zlatan in 2018, and after taking this as far as we could, get the young kids to develop in 2019.

I think Medina was the bigger waste, Berget came in and got a few goals and assist and did what was asked of him. Medina for me never really offered anything that we couldn’t of got from some of the other subs , throw in the fact he was a DP and seems more of a waste

Reactions: gbservis
How serious is Greizeman about coming to MLS and when do we think he could actually make the move?

Based on some tweets I’ve seen, I get the impression that he’d actually come here sooner than later, but I have to admit I haven’t dug deep into it or looked into his contract situation.

Well he's a Knicks fan, or more specifically a Derrick Rose superfan, so not sure if he's a team or player guy. But he's made it clear he'd like to quietly finish his career in the US, but that could be the better part of a decade away. Then there's this. Can't blame these guys for preferring the sun and fun of LA or Miami over the clouds and cold of NYC...https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...e-griezmann-eyes-mls-move-highlights-2-cities

That’s a good point think they need to secure a big name dp now before Beckham starts to look seriously and becomes the preferred destination for people looking at coming to the MLS

Well he's a Knicks fan, or more specifically a Derrick Rose superfan, so not sure if he's a team or player guy. But he's made it clear he'd like to quietly finish his career in the US, but that could be the better part of a decade away. Then there's this. Can't blame these guys for preferring the sun and fun of LA or Miami over the clouds and cold of NYC...https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...e-griezmann-eyes-mls-move-highlights-2-cities

And this is a huge problem. Even if the $ is equal, players seem to want to go to:

1&2. LAG/LAFC
3. Miami
4. Atlanta

Before they want to come to NYC. And especially with our current stadium situation. This is a big issue. It’s not like we have our pick of anyone we want to pay.

Reactions: Jock and Ulrich
I think NYC is above Atlanta
Don’t discount how much less taxes are and how much better of a lifestyle one can have with a large house, yard, pool, etc if they have a family. Everything is relative, for each individual, but the big city isn’t for everybody, especially those that don’t like cold weather.

Last edited:
Don’t discount how much less taxes are and how much better of a lifestyle one can have with a large house, yard, pool, etc if they have a family. Everything is relative, for each individual, but the big city isn’t for everybody, especially those that don’t like cold weather.
I love when my City friends come visit me in Western MA. Everytime they see my house and yard, and I proudly brag about how relatively little I paid for it, they all start looking at indeed.
Atlanta has similar prices to my area, but the added advantage of much lower taxes. If I were being recruited to work for companies around the US, I've got to say NYC has major disadvantages in all regards. Extraordinarily high housing costs, tax to death, small spaces. Only San Jose is in a similar situation in this league.

Meanwhile, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, are very attractive.

This situation has to be a net negative for us in attracting players with families.

Eh, I know tons of people who would rather come to NYC than any of those places. Where's the local pride?

You don't have to drive anywhere. Walking and riding is better for you. It also means you are constantly in contact with people, and here they are some of the most diverse, beautiful and interesting people in the world. The city has so much going on and is so large that by the time you think you've seen everything, it's already changed on you. And you can get anything you want, delivered at almost any time of day.

Eh, I know tons of people who would rather come to NYC than any of those places. Where's the local pride?

You don't have to drive anywhere. Walking and riding is better for you. It also means you are constantly in contact with people, and here they are some of the most diverse, beautiful and interesting people in the world. The city has so much going on and is so large that by the time you think you've seen everything, it's already changed on you. And you can get anything you want, delivered at almost any time of day.
Yeah, I’m sure there are lots of people who would rather live elsewhere as the city might not be for them. But I feel pretty confident that the majority would rather come to nyc than Atlanta or most other places (other than Miami and LA already mentioned). Especially when we are talking about professional athletes making 200k+ per year

New York is one of the great cities in the world, and players can enjoy it in relative anonymity. That may not be for everyone, but it attracts a lot of people.

That’s why I said it’s all relative. 8.35% NY tax, or whatever it’s up to now, is a kick in the teeth compared to Florida with no state tax and Georgia with a fraction. Throw in property taxes that are infinitely higher in NY/NJ/CT and a player with a family wanting a house with a yard is paying a massive premium for that privilege. With the exception of a few, most NYC sports teams’ players don’t live in the city, so what you’re describing as the pluses aren’t generally seen as such by them. There will be a few like Villa and Jeter and Pirlo that like the city, but check out the football and baseball teams and many live outside of the city limits.

What I wrote had nothing to do with a lack of pride in my city, a place I’ve been for nearly a quarter century, where my daughter was born and is being raised, but rather a counter argument to the “NYC is the best place to play” meme that just isn’t the case across the board. I really hope CFG can lure great players here over Beckham’s Miami and the star-power owners of LAFC, but we have a shitty venue that gets dumped on in the media and over the past few windows a history of miserly pockets.

The City is absolutely a draw, but it can't draw everyone. Its probably a net draw overall, mainly for its notoriety, but we also have some challenges.
250k is much different in New York than it is in Orlando, especially for someone in their mid to late twenties who can't be sure how long they have left in the game.

This can be overcome by paying more, but if we have to pay guys 400k that Orlando can pay 350k, that hurts in a cap league.

By watching them
Don't engage this guy. He doesn't watch any games and just occasionally comes 9n to troll.

It wasn’t when Tata was manager. Almiron and Martinez said they came to MLS only for him. We’ll see who they get next and if he’s the same draw.

Well Tata’s got about 3 weeks max left as manager of Atlanta. Most likely whoever they get next won’t be the same draw.

Anyway I think the discussion is more about which city and not manager and citywise NYC > Atlanta in terms of an international draw hands down.

Reactions: Christopher Jee