2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
The issue isn't with the academy. Our academies are probably the most successful things going to be honest. The issue is with the lack of a USL team. We have no clear cut pipeline to the 1st team. Goes Academies - Floating in no mans land - pray *insert player* makes 1st team. If we had a USL team, the youth part of it would take care of itself.

I know the Rough Riders on LI are applying for USL status and are working on trying to get a stadium, so I wonder if they are in a wait and see approach with them. If not, we probably won't get a USL team until we have our own stadium so that the USL team can play out of it as well. It's amazing how with one issue solved (the stadium), it can fix a lot of our other issues.

I don't disagree that the academy seems to be doing a good job developing players. However, we got it going late and didn't bring in any older players, and so it's taking a long time for kids to work their way through the pipeline.

Right now, after 4 seasons, we have 2 homegrown players: a 15-year-old and an 18-year-old, both of whom are promising but don't play much. Atlanta, after 2 seasons, have 5 homegrown players, ranging from 16 to 20, two of whom have started for them. That's because Atlanta stepped into the shoes of existing academies and got the benefit of that pipeline.

ETA: Atlanta also seem to have a really good USL affiliation with Charleston, which we haven't had until a couple of months ago. (Say what you will about Dome, but his willingness to loan players out is a very good thing)

I don't disagree that the academy seems to be doing a good job developing players. However, we got it going late and didn't bring in any older players, and so it's taking a long time for kids to work their way through the pipeline.

Right now, after 4 seasons, we have 2 homegrown players: a 15-year-old and an 18-year-old, both of whom are promising but don't play much. Atlanta, after 2 seasons, have 5 homegrown players, ranging from 16 to 20, two of whom have started for them. That's because Atlanta stepped into the shoes of existing academies and got the benefit of that pipeline.

ETA: Atlanta also seem to have a really good USL affiliation with Charleston, which we haven't had until a couple of months ago. (Say what you will about Dome, but his willingness to loan players out is a very good thing)
Agreed but also have to keep in mind that Atlanta is the only show in town. The way the home grown spacing works out, we are essentially competing with close to two other clubs, NJ and Philly, albeit, less Philly. The Athletic wrote a great article about it that outlines the current model and the potential future plans. I also agree that with no USL team, it was the right call to start at a younger age point and bring them through instead of wasting time and money into kids that weren't going to crack the top team anyway.

Dome willing to loan players is a blessing (as long as they keep going to Hackworth ;))

Edit: Here's the link to the article I referenced:

https://theathletic.com/611368/2018...lowing-teams-to-scout-in-each-others-regions/

The issue isn't with the academy. Our academies are probably the most successful things going to be honest. The issue is with the lack of a USL team. We have no clear cut pipeline to the 1st team. Goes Academies - Floating in no mans land - pray *insert player* makes 1st team. If we had a USL team, the youth part of it would take care of itself.

I know the Rough Riders on LI are applying for USL status and are working on trying to get a stadium, so I wonder if they are in a wait and see approach with them. If not, we probably won't get a USL team until we have our own stadium so that the USL team can play out of it as well. It's amazing how with one issue solved (the stadium), it can fix a lot of our other issues.
You hear this today at the townhall meeting or passing Reyna at the water cooler?

Reactions: Kjbert and Korker

wha? dont they have the ATL 2 team? dont their kids go there?

Reactions: Kjbert
Agreed but also have to keep in mind that Atlanta is the only show in town. The way the home grown spacing works out, we are essentially competing with close to two other clubs, NJ and Philly, albeit, less Philly. The Athletic wrote a great article about it that outlines the current model and the potential future plans. I also agree that with no USL team, it was the right call to start at a younger age point and bring them through instead of wasting time and money into kids that weren't going to crack the top team anyway.

Dome willing to loan players is a blessing (as long as they keep going to Hackworth ;))

Edit: Here's the link to the article I referenced:

https://theathletic.com/611368/2018...lowing-teams-to-scout-in-each-others-regions/

can you explain to me why you so high on hackworth?

You hear this today at the townhall meeting or passing Reyna at the water cooler?
Just an educated guess at this point. Rough Riders are a affiliate to NYCFC so if they were to go to the USL, it would only make logical sense for them to be our affiliate. But they have been fighting to get a stadium at SCCC for years now so it's probably a long shot at this point.
can you explain to me why you so high on hackworth?
I'm big on Hackworth because of his proven success with youth players. When he was head coach of the Union, they didn't have the systems in place to execute his visions. He goes to the U17 stage and completely took it by storm. He is a great tutor to younger players and has a great soccer mind to compete tactically. I watched a lot of the U17 games because of Sands and the one thing that kept sticking out to me was how tactically skilled those teams were. He just got to Louisville and took them to win the USL Cup very easily. (Granted, Louisville is stacked in the USL, but coming in mid-season to a good team is no easy thing to do as we've learned this year and guiding them to even better performances and a cup is very impressive)

He's also boys with Renya which is why I think he'd be on the short list if the job became available.

I would imagine that a great academy is a low investment, high return sort of deal, no?

Thinking with our footprint, you could basically pick 10 fantastic 14 year olds every year to bring into your academy and try and turn them into something.

I would imagine that a great academy is a low investment, high return sort of deal, no?

Thinking with our footprint, you could basically pick 10 fantastic 14 year olds every year to bring into your academy and try and turn them into something.
Except when the most promising ones stick it to the academy/club marking the contract return to sender and book a flight to Germany.

Yeah, that's the thing with technology (tactical knowledge) - it scales very cheaply. You just need someone to teach it. Much easier and cheaper to produce diamonds artificially than finding diamonds. Gets the job done.

Lots of coaches, lots of bus rides, lots of meals, lots of liability, expensive facilities. It adds up.

If you can reliably sell a player for $5-15m every couple years and get good value for your senior team, it turns into a good investment. If it doesn't produce consistently then it hurts

Perfect timing of this tweet for this conversation. This is just for a USL Squad. Have to imagine academies are near this if not more.

upload_2018-11-14_9-32-23.png

Lots of coaches, lots of bus rides, lots of meals, lots of liability, expensive facilities. It adds up.

If you can reliably sell a player for $5-15m every couple years and get good value for your senior team, it turns into a good investment. If it doesn't produce consistently then it hurts

I would like to know what the cost of the RedBull Academy is on an annual basis. Then you need to compare the sales of Miazga and Adams, combine it with the savings of not having to pay a Tommy McNamara or pay a transfer fee for a Jesus Medina and see how the math shakes out.

I've seen flashes from Castellanos, and I'm never opposed to investing in young talent. But barring a major jump in his development over the preseason, having him take a regular spot in our first XI next year means we're falling further behind the big boys. I'm hoping he's one for the future.

For me, it’s worth it if we get to a point where we have three or four homegrowns on the roster and getting minutes (even minimal) each season. Hopefully we can even get a starter or two. There’s not a lot that really connects a club to the city when players and coaches move so easily in the international market. (And where y’all call for sacking a tactically interesting and genuinely communicative manager after half a season just because we’re not the best in the league.) The academy is one of the few things that can really be *ours*. And I think that’s more important for the team than any $15 million sale.