2022 Schedule Thread

To follow up on a discussion M moogoo and I were having on the Columbus thread:
1652621397205.png

One win puts us on 20 points. If we score 2 more than our opponent, we'll be ahead of Austin, so that puts us third. If not, fourth.

We are very much not out of that supporter shield race, as you can see, and that's awesome given where we all thought we might be after the first few games. This team is amazing and we're hopefully going to see it this season

Reactions: FootyLovin
To follow up on a discussion M moogoo and I were having on the Columbus thread:

One win puts us on 20 points. If we score 2 more than our opponent, we'll be ahead of Austin, so that puts us third. If not, fourth.

We are very much not out of that supporter shield race, as you can see, and that's awesome given where we all thought we might be after the first few games. This team is amazing and we're hopefully going to see it this season

I'm optimistic, but I temper this analysis by noting that on a H/A-adjusted PPG basis, we have played the third easiest schedule to date at 1.03 PPG. The good news is we somehow don't have one of the toughest schedules remaining. In the future we have a 1.39 opposing PPG, which is only the 12th hardest.

But we better rack up points before the final two months of the season. The H/A PG of our last 6 opponents is a killer 1.95. That's a constantly fluid number so it will change and eventually appear less daunting. Maybe Charlotte slips more at home. I strongly doubt Cincinnati, Orlando and The Red Bulls all make it that far with Away records better than 1.8. But that is where we are right now.

Last edited:
Here you go. I think this was posted elsewhere too.

It's both interesting in its own right and a funny satire on advanced soccer analytics. He creates a measure xENT - expected entertainment - for each team.

I was not expecting anything that wonky. Fully worth reading just for the methodology, let alone the rankings. Bravo I say!

I was not expecting anything that wonky. Fully worth reading just for the methodology, let alone the rankings. Bravo I say!
Well I'd sort of passed over this article several times but your post finally got me to read it, for which I thank you!

Reactions: FootyLovin
Always being mindful of rainouts, Cardinals at Mets today (Monday) has been pushed to a doubleheader tomorrow (Tuesday)

Reactions: Kjbert
(can we pin this thread pls?)

In a frankly surprising turn of events (didn't expect this when i went to sleep and Dallas was leading...), Dallas and LAFC dropped points, and thus NYCFC are now in the driving seat for the supporters shield. A win on sunday will do that. (Well, games in hand but still.) I know Chicago is one of those matchups that tends to be crappy for us (low scoring pretty much every time) but I think we can nail 'em. This home rally is what we really need before going on the road again, and being atop the support shield race going into that would also be a huge help!

1652966823329.png

Schedule changes/confirmations

NYCFC vs. New York Red Bulls
Saturday, September 17
Yankee Stadium
1:00pm ET Kickoff

NYCFC vs. Charlotte FC
Wednesday, August 17
Red Bull Arena
8:00pm ET Kickoff

Charlotte FC vs. NYCFC
Saturday, September 10
Bank of America Stadium
1:00pm ET Kickoff

Something that has me quite upset is that NYCFC is playing midweek of our derby matches, while Red Bulls is not...Thanks MLS schedulers for parity...

Sunday, July 17, 5 PM: Away
- NYCFC prior game is Wednesday, July 13, 9 PM at Dallas
- Red Bulls prior game is Saturday, July 9, 7:30 PM at Cincinnati

Saturday, September 17, 1 PM: Home
- NYCFC prior game is Wednesday, September 14, 7:20 PM Campeones Cup
- Red Bulls Prior Game is Saturday, September 10, 6 PM vs. New England

Something that has me quite upset is that NYCFC is playing midweek of our derby matches, while Red Bulls is not...Thanks MLS schedulers for parity...

Sunday, July 17, 5 PM: Away
- NYCFC prior game is Wednesday, July 13, 9 PM at Dallas
- Red Bulls prior game is Saturday, July 9, 7:30 PM at Cincinnati

Saturday, September 17, 1 PM: Home
- NYCFC prior game is Wednesday, September 14, 7:20 PM Campeones Cup
- Red Bulls Prior Game is Saturday, September 10, 6 PM vs. New England

Yea I noticed that too. First one will be tough. Coming back from Dallas, which will be a difficult game weather wise, will be very draining on the boys. It'll be tough to come back and put on a top performance just 4 days later.

The second derby - both home matches, so no travel. Campeones Cup is another chance at silverware, so I can't knock it and last TRUE home game of the season vs the red bulls. I think the boys will get excited for it, especially if the stadium is packed being our final true home game and likely fan appreciation day. Just wish the game was at 6pm or something. 1pm suckssssssss

Besides Campeones Cup (and the concluded CL), NYCFC will play more midweek games than RB because RB is playing during international breaks and NYCFC is not. That's a club choice. If those midweek games were not before RB games they would still exist before some other game
So are we actually expecting schedule makers to add an extra parameter to the already absurdly difficult schedule making process in order to minimize the possibility that NYCFC has short rest against the Red Bulls?
Let me first quote myself, then the estimable FredMertz FredMertz :

People really overestimate how easy it is to make these schedules. I just shake my head when people make these criticisms. Do people really think the schedule makers don't know that having teams play each other twice in a close time frame and never the rest of the year is less than ideal? Or that the schedule makers think it was a good idea for NYCFC not to play Nashville ever until September 2021 when they've been in the league and the same conference since last year? Or that they are unaware that having 1 game in 3 weeks followed by 6 games in 3 weeks is sub-optimal? They know all of this.

But we have teams who don't control their venues, teams who cannot even play at their usual homes, teams sharing venues, teams who have to reschedule because of baseball rainouts, 29 weekends in which to fit 34 games, two new stadium openings, TV partners who insist that certain matchups happen at certain times of the year, and a FIFA international schedule that makes zero effort to accommodate MLS. So no, the schedule makers are not idiotic. This is how the sausage meat fits in the skin.
In what seems like a lifetime ago, I actually worked at the NFL and a good friend of mine is the guy who is now in charge of making the schedule.

Keeping in mind that most NFL teams have absolutely first priority in their venues, just know that making the schedule was nearly impossible each year by hand (that's how old I am), and only slightly easier with a custom-built algorithm.

I am being facetious of course.

I agree it’s difficult to make the schedule but what if the schedule makers knew that NYCFC was planning on announcing a MOU for a new stadium and they want to announce it the week of Champeone and Red Bulls games.

**I will put myself on two weeks probation for posting.

i can't believe there are only 2 real, regular season home games left and one is at citi field. what am i gonna do with all the credits left on my acct?!
Yeah, I have just 2 vouchers left on my 20-voucher plan, but I had to use them aggressively to get here. Even then, I wasted a pair when I got sick one game day and couldn't sell or even give away my tickets, and I will be out of town for the last Yankee stadium game on 9/17. Managing this was especially hard because 2 games were switched to RBA after the season started.

Reactions: moogoo
Yeah, I have just 2 vouchers left on my 20-voucher plan, but I had to use them aggressively to get here. Even then, I wasted a pair when I got sick one game day and couldn't sell or even give away my tickets, and I will be out of town for the last Yankee stadium game on 9/17. Managing this was especially hard because 2 games were switched to RBA after the season started.

Yea. I appreciate the club making RBA games optional. but if the money goes back to the account and is forfeited if not used, then that doesn't help me. I signed up to be a member to support the club playing in NYC. RBA games should have been refunded to the payment method.

I think my plan is to buy extra tickets and try to sell them to make my money back and then hope I am able to go to the final home game vs the red cows and do legends or something. that's easily gonna be a big chunk of credits.

does anybody know if LEGENDS food is different for lunch vs dinner?

i can't believe there are only 2 real, regular season home games left and one is at citi field. what am i gonna do with all the credits left on my acct?!

Same. I’m hoping I can build out a day with my sons soccer team. Maybe Campeones. But a terrible use of money this year.

Reactions: moogoo

Ask your ticket representative about pitchside seats. We were able to upgrade for the Miami game. I don't know if there are a few held in reserve, or if a season ticket holder exchanged seats, but it was a good way to spend accumulated credit.

FWIW there were plenty of open seats Saturday pitchside. I'll defer to Lion as to whether it might be season ticket holders absent or seats not purchased, but I would think that the team would want bodies in seats either for television presence or marketing.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo