2022 Schedule Thread

Per Brad Sims' interview on Soccer in the City (released 11/2/2021), Matchday 1 is the last weekend of February.

so only like a week earlier than in a normal year? I thought it would be mid February to have enough time to finish before the 2022 WC.

Reactions: Kjbert
Also per brad sims: MLB schedules are created way WAY in advance, and they're actually already working on the 2023 schedule as well as the 2022 schedule with the Yankees and Mets.

As for RBA next year, they have to hope that because of the new locked game day windows, on some of those where all the teams play on the same day, so they have to hope and pray that on those the yankees and mets aren't both playing.

Also he mentions that they were looking at ~78 other stadiums but MLS/concacaf etc were strict and against basically all of them. They've also looked into modular stadiums and he said not economically feasible and we pretty much are not going on that.

(Editted, thanks LionNYC LionNYC for noticing my Typo. Sorry!)

Last edited:
Also per brad sims: MLS schedules are created way WAY in advance, and they're actually already working on the 2023 schedule as well as the 2022 schedule with the Yankees and Mets.

As for RBA next year, they have to hope that because of the new locked game day windows, on some of those where all the teams play on the same day, so they have to hope and pray that on those the yankees and mets aren't both playing.

Also he mentions that they were looking at ~78 other stadiums but MLS/concacaf etc were strict and against basically all of them. They've also looked into modular stadiums and he said not economically feasible and we pretty much are not going on that.
MLB schedules are created way in advance. The issue is that MLS schedules aren't as far in advance and games have to take place during certain windows. So more random Wednesdays at Yankee Stadium.

MLB schedules are created way in advance. The issue is that MLS schedules aren't as far in advance and games have to take place during certain windows. So more random Wednesdays at Yankee Stadium.
Thanks. I typoed. But what he said was that we won't have random wednesdays at YS, but rather that since it's during those windows, if neither citi or yankee can take us, then we're basically SOL and probably will have to go to RBA. But they're trying to find ways around that.

Per Brad Sims' interview on Soccer in the City (released 11/2/2021), Matchday 1 is the last weekend of February.
OK if they expect us to show up at Yankee Stadium in friggin' February they're going to have to be handing out free hot chocolates the whole game. And none of that crap watery stuff either.

OK if they expect us to show up at Yankee Stadium in friggin' February they're going to have to be handing out free hot chocolates the whole game. And none of that crap watery stuff either.
Nope. Yankee Stadium will still be in winter-zation so we can't play there.

Our home opener has usually been in the March 15 range, so I would think we'll play the first two weeks on the road if they're starting as early as Feb. 26.

Our home opener has usually been in the March 15 range, so I would think we'll play the first two weeks on the road if they're starting as early as Feb. 26.
Yeah. In previous years various teams have bene given the ability to start away for a bunch of games so it might just be what happens for us too.

so only like a week earlier than in a normal year? I thought it would be mid February to have enough time to finish before the 2022 WC.
There won't need to be as many international breaks with no Continental Championships and no WCQ after March and limited friendly windows in June and September.

Reactions: Fantazma and Kjbert
- Nashville is moving to the Western Conference as Charlotte joins the Eastern Conference
- Opening Day is February 26 while Decision Day is October 9
- MLS Cup will be on November 5
- 34 regular season matches (17 home and 17 away) (26 in-Conference home & away matches, 8 non-conference matches)
- 5 or fewer midweek matches (targeting one each in May, June and July, and two in August)
- Full 2022 regular season schedule to be announced later this year

Reactions: Kjbert and Higgs1
Not that I’m mad about sending Nashville to the west, but my mini gripe is geographically speaking it should be Chicago being sent over to the west. I guess since Nashville has already moved over once it makes sense to move them again?

Not that I’m mad about sending Nashville to the west, but my mini gripe is geographically speaking it should be Chicago being sent over to the west. I guess since Nashville has already moved over once it makes sense to move them again?
Yeah, makes sense. But I'm guessing they wanted to keep Chicago and Columbus together.

Also, with St. Louis joining later and then most likely a West Coast team, St. Louis probably comes to the East and that links up with Chicago as well.

Yeah, makes sense. But I'm guessing they wanted to keep Chicago and Columbus together.

Also, with St. Louis joining later and then most likely a West Coast team, St. Louis probably comes to the East and that links up with Chicago as well.
While I see that logic it’s also killing off the regional budding rivalry with Atlanta and setting Nashville back a bit

and they may move them back when st louis comes in.

someone speculated that chicago stayed as its closer to columbus/ cincy/ toronto/ montreal than nashville. while nashville is closer to the texas teams for example.

It's tough to figure out who should move. Nashville and Chicago are about the same distance from Columbus and Cincinnati. Meanwhile, Chicago's next closest teams are Minnesota and Kansas City. Nashville's are Atlanta and Charlotte. I guess that Chicago stays in the East through inertia more than anything else.

Is there leagues cup next year? I know the new format starts 2023, but does that mean it's on pause for 2022? Or is it going to be the same format as it was this year? If so, we have qualified for it. But I can't find any info on a 2022 iteration online.

Is there leagues cup next year? I know the new format starts 2023, but does that mean it's on pause for 2022? Or is it going to be the same format as it was this year? If so, we have qualified for it. But I can't find any info on a 2022 iteration online.
Wikipedia says there’s a Leagues Cup in 2022 and we did not qualify

• Wow
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Where do you see who qualifies?
Ah according to the MLS 2022 wiki, only two from each conference that aren't in CL will be in leagues cup. So that's Philly and Nashville. Which I guess means if Philly or Nashville win MLS cup we would get that berth? Or would it go by points? Meh. No qualification stuff I can find anywhere lol