2022 Schedule Thread

Even if they lose the division, Mets would still host the NL Wild Card at home, which takes place before MLS Cup Playoffs Round One. It's potential they lose that series and Citi Field is available but that's unlikely.
And by the time we would know whether the Mets win the Wild Card, it will be too late to schedule a game at Citi Field.

If things stay as they are in the standings, we're playing Orlando first in the playoffs.

However still two eastern conference games to play before we get into decision day talks.

And by the time we would know whether the Mets win the Wild Card, it will be too late to schedule a game at Citi Field.

Don't think that's true. Wild Card round ends Oct. 9, the same day as the end of the MLS regular season. I would certainly hope MLS will allow us to be flexible with stadiums until they have to officially announce everything.

Reactions: Sabo
Don't think that's true. Wild Card round ends Oct. 9, the same day as the end of the MLS regular season. I would certainly hope MLS will allow us to be flexible with stadiums until they have to officially announce everything.

Maybe. I recall looking at it and thinking it wouldn't work. Here's what I wrote a couple weeks back.

I just took a gander at the MLS and MLB playoff schedules. There isn't a scenario in which either Yankee Stadium or Citi Field would be available for the first round - at least not with enough notice to plan a game there.

The Yankees will certainly win their division and end up directly in the divisional playoffs as host. That leaves them in line to host games the same weekend as the MLS first round.

The Mets are likely in the same position, and if they win their division Citi will be booked. They have a 2-game lead on the Braves, but even if Atlanta manages to pip them and take the division, the MLB playoff schedule leaves too much uncertainty to plan for a soccer window. In that scenario, Citi Field would host a game on Friday, too close for an MLS game on Saturday or Sunday. Plus, if they win the Divisional Series, they could end up hosting a playoff game on Tuesday, meaning the Monday date might not be open either.

Yes, the Mets might lose in the wild card or Divisional Series or be the road team in the LCS, but none of that will be known in time to commit to a game at Citi Field.

The question is whether the team & league will feel there is enough advance notice if we don't know the venue until a week before the match. I seem to recall some similar circumstances in past years. Didn't we once move a playoff game to Citi Field because we wouldn't know quickly enough if Yankee Stadium would be available? I remember there being discussion about the time needed to sell tickets and something around the visiting team needing to know where they were playing, although I think that was a shorter time requirement than 6-7 days.

Maybe. I recall looking at it and thinking it wouldn't work. Here's what I wrote a couple weeks back.

The question is whether the team & league will feel there is enough advance notice if we don't know the venue until a week before the match. I seem to recall some similar circumstances in past years. Didn't we once move a playoff game to Citi Field because we wouldn't know quickly enough if Yankee Stadium would be available? I remember there being discussion about the time needed to sell tickets and something around the visiting team needing to know where they were playing, although I think that was a shorter time requirement than 6-7 days.

If the Mets lose their Wild Card round, we would know either Oct. 8 or 9. The NYCFC 1st-round window is Oct. 15-17, and schedule won't be announced until Oct. 9 or 10. I would hope MLS would allow that level of flexibiity so that if the Mets lose, we can host in Flushing. Yankee Stadium is definitely out for the first round, but Citi is in play now that the Mets have collapsed and blew the division.

If the Mets are knocked out of the playoffs on Oct 9th, that is the same day as Decision Day. The MLS playoff first round schedule won’t be announced until the 10th at earliest, giving 5 days to prep - could be doable.

Another point of note is that towards the end of the game, Ian and Joe said goodbye to the network broadcasts. It kinda implied they weren't gonna be (as far as they or we are aware) moved to apple deal, but Joe said he hopes they will be able to broadcast more.

I'm gonna miss the best broadcasting duo in the league

• Sad
Reactions: moogoo
Another point of note is that towards the end of the game, Ian and Joe said goodbye to the network broadcasts. It kinda implied they weren't gonna be (as far as they or we are aware) moved to apple deal, but Joe said he hopes they will be able to broadcast more.

I'm gonna miss the best broadcasting duo in the league
I believe it is possible they could do one more match this season if we get drawn into one of the two Spanish language opening round matches.

I believe it is possible they could do one more match this season if we get drawn into one of the two Spanish language opening round matches.

They have Decision Day for sure. Then yes, they might get that playoff game if it goes to Univision.

Red Bull Arena confirmed.

What are the possible dates for our first game?

Does this mean that it is all or nothing on playoff games meaning you have to buy your seats for round one at RBA if you want to keep your option to potentially purchase your seats should we somehow host the MLS Cup at home? I know that is a stretch and allocation may be different, but it’s an important consideration.

Reactions: Kjbert
Does this mean that it is all or nothing on playoff games meaning you have to buy your seats for round one at RBA if you want to keep your option to potentially purchase your seats should we somehow host the MLS Cup at home? I know that is a stretch and allocation may be different, but it’s an important consideration.
Final is almost certain to be allocated differently, but yes if your specific seat is important to you for the entire playoffs then you have to opt in to all of them. Even though you won't get your specific seat in round 1 at very least o_O

You will have the opportunity to opt out of your playoff strip and by doing so are forfeiting your seats for ALL potential NYCFC 2022 playoff home matches as well as the most preferred member price.
  • You will have until Tuesday, October 11th at 5:00pm EST to exercise this opt-out option and will not be charged for any playoff home matches.
  • If you would like to opt-out of your playoff strip, please complete this Opt Out Form.
  • If you choose to opt-out, you will still have the opportunity to purchase individual game tickets to any 2022 home playoff match.

I wonder if the a la carte tickets will have higher prices than opting in. Probably.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Final is almost certain to be allocated differently, but yes if your specific seat is important to you for the entire playoffs then you have to opt in to all of them. Even though you won't get your specific seat in round 1 at very least o_O

You will have the opportunity to opt out of your playoff strip and by doing so are forfeiting your seats for ALL potential NYCFC 2022 playoff home matches as well as the most preferred member price.
  • You will have until Tuesday, October 11th at 5:00pm EST to exercise this opt-out option and will not be charged for any playoff home matches.
  • If you would like to opt-out of your playoff strip, please complete this Opt Out Form.
  • If you choose to opt-out, you will still have the opportunity to purchase individual game tickets to any 2022 home playoff match.

I wonder if the a la carte tickets will have higher prices than opting in. Probably.
Thanks, agreed that’s what it looks like unfortunately. They should have allowed more flexibility given the circumstances, but I guess it’s all as expected.

Reactions: Kjbert

yea pricing for non-members (i.e., opted out or otherwise never was a member) will be higher. we don't know how much higher. but based on the email, they will be higher.

considering we don't have a home stadium at all, they are being kind of tough on it. you would think they'd give some leniency due to the fact that we're playing at RBA and then who knows where after that if we keep winning...

Should we win or tie against Atlanta, our first round opponent will be one of Orlando, Miami, Columbus, Cincinnati.

I think that's true either way. Red Bulls can't fall lower than the #5 seed, in which case we would be the #3 seed and wouldn't play them in the first round. So, we get a home game against one of those four at Red Bull Arena.

On Sunday we are playing for #4 seed vs. #3 seed. Only two implications are (1) whether we play #1 seed or #2 seed if we make the 2nd round and (2) better chance at a home game in conference finals or MLS cup, if we get that far. Best scenario for 2nd round might be to play Montreal as the #1 seed after they've had an extra week's rest.

Also, might be helpful to us if the Red Bulls fall to the #5 seed and don't host in the first round. I can see the league giving New Jersey their preferred first round time slot, and that would increase the odds that we end up on Monday.

I think that's true either way. Red Bulls can't fall lower than the #5 seed, in which case we would be the #3 seed and wouldn't play them in the first round. So, we get a home game against one of those four at Red Bull Arena.

On Sunday we are playing for #4 seed vs. #3 seed. Only two implications are (1) whether we play #1 seed or #2 seed if we make the 2nd round and (2) better chance at a home game in conference finals or MLS cup, if we get that far. Best scenario for 2nd round might be to play Montreal as the #1 seed after they've had an extra week's rest.

Also, might be helpful to us if the Red Bulls fall to the #5 seed and don't host in the first round. I can see the league giving New Jersey their preferred first round time slot, and that would increase the odds that we end up on Monday.

Up until last night it was possible for us to also play charlotte or red bulls at home. (If columbus had won yesterday, the possibility would have become really possible for red bulls, see the improbable scenario i mentioned in the other thread)

edit:
this one: MLS Cup Playoffs - October 15/16/17 - TBD (RBA/TBD)

Last edited: