2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Haak has a contract with NYCFC through 2025 with an option for 2026. I don't see European teams signing him, so what MLS team will trade GAM for him? Seriously, trading Haak would be a bad move for NYCFC. I've really started to like him in the CB role.

i honestly dont like him in CB i still feel he is shaky there. However, i still want to keep him to fill in the midfield when needed. i dont think acevedo is coming back either.

EDIT: hmmmm sounds like agent talk

Last edited:
i honestly dont like him in CB i still feel he is shaky there. However, i still want to keep him to fill in the midfield when needed. i dont think acevedo is coming back either.

EDIT: hmmmm sounds like agent talk

Hunh. He basically made one inexcusable howler but I would argue that his positioning, confidence on the ball and line breaking balls out of the back have been excellent in recent weeks.

I had all but written him off as a positive contributor at the top of the year. But he won me back even before the goal.

He rendered Alfaro totally redundant. IMHO he’s been one of the few really encouraging developments this season. Our defense has objectively been good this year despite what we all thought was going to be a very stretched roster, compounded by the extended absences of Sands and Martins. Let’s take a breath, give credit where it’s due, and appreciate the fact that we aren’t forced, like the Galaxy, to fork over for a not very good backup.

again I hope he ends up being great . Maybe it’s unfair but as much as the 8 goals it jumps out to me that he doesn’t have a full Algeria cap . They’re not exactly France or Argentina and 22 isn’t that young .
Algeria aren’t exactly slouches. Considering that a guy named Mahrez is inked in at one forward spot and most of the rest of the forwards play in France and Belgium, I don’t think there’s a ton of shame in him not having senior caps. Other than Villa, have we ever signed a striker (or even a winger) with any real senior level profile at a top NT?

I want another striker signing but I’m choosing optimism here.

Haak goes because he wants to try Europe. That’s what was sold to him to extend. That’s what was sold to Joe and James and Justin in that first class.

Hunh. He basically made one inexcusable howler but I would argue that his positioning, confidence on the ball and line breaking balls out of the back have been excellent in recent weeks.

I had all but written him off as a positive contributor at the top of the year. But he won me back even before the goal.

He rendered Alfaro totally redundant. IMHO he’s been one of the few really encouraging developments this season. Our defense has objectively been good this year despite what we all thought was going to be a very stretched roster, compounded by the extended absences of Sands and Martins. Let’s take a breath, give credit where it’s due, and appreciate the fact that we aren’t forced, like the Galaxy, to fork over for a not very good backup.

its not just that, i felt he got beat a lot in the same game, chanot covered for him couple of times vs charlotte ( although you could argue that is what is supposed to happen). at least thats how i remember it seeing the game behind the goal vs charlotte. he may be an ok option as a back up but not going against teams like philly or upper table teams. i still prefer him in the midfield.

im not saying alfaro should go ahead of him, alfaro was a vuk replacement from the start at least i felt that way. i would not say the defense has been good since there have a been a few games where they cant close out the game and get a late goal scored against. its been alright.

Reactions: snugglefarts

I'm with you on this, after his performances the last two seasons, I didn't really get my hopes high. But he's really found himself the last several matches at the LCB position.

And yeah, he had a rough match against Charlotte midweek, but that happens. I've been overall impressed with his progress this season and would like to admit I am wrong in thinking he couldn't be where he is now.

ETA: "would like to admit" is a stretch, I've had a few old fashioneds tonight. I would like to update that to "will admit"

Btw, Blue Balls podcast reporting that 6 years ago, right before Sean Johnson was traded for, the club tried to sign Buffon.
I mean, unless they were sitting on that nugget for a while, there aren't too many front office people still around from 6 years ago...

Reactions: Kjbert
There's been a few MLS players that went over to Scotland for 1-3 seasons and then came back to MLS.

There's been a few MLS players that went over to Scotland for 1-3 seasons and then came back to MLS.

if you want to narrow it down to MLS academy prospects. Polvara is back in the US, but playing in USL...on loan though.

lots of mention on twitter of palmeiras interest in talles magno. however knowing palmeiras history with with their interest with taty i guess it should be taken with a grain of salt for now.