2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Amundsen situation puzzles me. I've never been a super fan or detractor of him. I did not notice a clear fall-off this year. He seemed to be pretty much what we got since he arrived. So I'm puzzled at what happened. The club thought well enough of him to let Gudi leave and not acquire a new LB. He starts 23 of the first 31 games and plays 75% of the minutes. Then he doesn't see the field again for the final 7 games across 3 competitions. Did Cushing always rate him less than Deila did? If so, did it take O'Toole until mid-September to show in practice, or did it take that long for Nick to trust his judgment? Did Amundsen fall off and I just did not notice? Or was it just something random, that Cushing tried O'Toole in the Campeones Cup game to give Amundsen a rest, or because he thought O'Toole would work better with the 3 CB set, and he just kept playing him through the 6 game win streak like a lucky talisman?
Good stuff. I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion around this. We paid a decent amount for him, and he seemed to be playing well. Then all of a sudden he's on the side of a milk carton. Most unexpected disappearance since Mix.

Tinnerholm is 32. Gray isn’t the long term solution. You need a starting RB.

Amundsen and Gloster aren’t the answer at LB. So you need a starting LB.

If we play 3-4-3, you may want another CB. If we play 4 in the back, then you’re fine.

I’m ok with the midfield if one of Maxi/Santi returns.

We need a Striker. We couldn’t hold up play or manufacture certain types of goals after Taty left. Sorry. Heber isn’t it.

Tinnerholm is 32. Gray isn’t the long term solution. You need a starting RB.

Amundsen and Gloster aren’t the answer at LB. So you need a starting LB.

If we play 3-4-3, you may want another CB. If we play 4 in the back, then you’re fine.

I’m ok with the midfield if one of Maxi/Santi returns.

We need a Striker. We couldn’t hold up play or manufacture certain types of goals after Taty left. Sorry. Heber isn’t it.

Agree 100%. Also lines up pretty well with what Soup said:
Voted left back, right back, and striker. Thoughts on each position:
  • Keeper - I think Sean resigns as well as Barraza. Barraza takes over for SJ after this next contract
  • Left Back - It's clear that Amundsen isn't trusted and while what O'Toole brought was great and I think he can build on that, someone other than Gloster would be very welcome
  • Center Back - Callens very well may be gone and Chanot doesn't have much more time either, but I don't think it's a position of need at the moment. Haak can play CB as well as Gray, and with Benalcazar and Owusu in the wings, lets let the young guys provide depth and gain some experience. Hopefully our CB tandem of the future is in the homegrowns.
  • Right Back - I think Tinnerholm is gone and while I love what Tayvon can provide defensively, we need a better option getting forward, as well as depth. Benalcazar could factor in here as well, but we need more.
  • Defensive Midfield - Cacha was a revelation in the playoffs and I feel a lot more confident in him now going forward. Combine him with Haak and Alfredo, we should be good here.
  • Midfield - There could be a signing here maybe, depends on how Cushing looks to adjust schematics longer term. But Keaton is rock solid here and while Maxi is more AM, he also can play here too.
  • Attacking Midfield - I think Santi returns and Maxi is here for one more year, should be good here, but I wouldn't be surprised with a summer signing from South America with another youngster here.
  • Both wings - GP, Santi, Talles, Thiago, with youth behind, nothing needed.
  • Striker - Heber is solid, but nothing too exciting. I do think he can get back to top 7-12ish in the league status, but we need someone else and a DP here would be most ideal.

I too think these takes are spot on. I really hope David Lee is also thinking the same thing!

We should have never given up Gudi.

Think we also need to take a look at the poor job out Academy is doing. Where’s the next Sands or Haak?

We’re getting next nothing from our Academy right now. That’s painful in this league.

Agree 100%. Also lines up pretty well with what Soup said:

I too think these takes are spot on. I really hope David Lee is also thinking the same thing!

We should have never given up Gudi.

i honestly think gudi wanted to go back to europe. but that's not to say the club tried to keep him either. could have been mutual.

as good was gudi was with free kicks and those clutch crosses, let's not forget he was pretty horrendous when it came to actually defending and had no pace to keep up with wingers. which is not his fault. he was never a lwb to begin with, which was the issue from the start. we need a true lwb. is otoole that guy? who knows, but at least he's played there in the past and we aren't newly converting him.

Think we also need to take a look at the poor job out Academy is doing. Where’s the next Sands or Haak?

We’re getting next nothing from our Academy right now. That’s painful in this league.
Our academy is churning out talent. Lots of it. However, they are signing with major European clubs without us getting any compensation.

I'm also not going under the assumption that Cushing wants to stay in the 3-4-3. I think it worked for this team, this year, but I don't get the sense that that is what he really wants to operate in.

I would expect a return to the 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 next year, but still able to switch to 3/5 at the back if needed.

I'm also not going under the assumption that Cushing wants to stay in the 3-4-3. I think it worked for this team, this year, but I don't get the sense that that is what he really wants to operate in.

I would expect a return to the 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 next year, but still able to switch to 3/5 at the back if needed.

i think you're right. i seem to remember there is an interview he did with crooks where he says flat out "i'm a 4-3-3 kinda guy" or something along those lines.

I firmly believe he's gone as well. Just had a second kid, has been here for several years (in the states) and probably wants to get back home. Made it through the pandemic without seeing family / friends, so yeah I can see him going back to Sweden & playing there. From rumors sounds like he has an offer on the table too.

I'll miss him, he's been my favorite player on this team since he joined in '18.

I would half expect this might depend on what the team buys him. We know from the Deila era that CFG buys players for a coach's system (check Dome, Vieira, Deila, who all had multiple signings under their influence - Tinnerholm, Amagat, Amundsen, Gudi, etc.), so hopefully they'll let him pick for the formation he wants.

Frankly, we should be moving on from Tinnerholm. High budget charge for a player that age with injury issues. Strictly business. Not personal.

Only 3 of those goals came after Taty left. Talles looked much more comfortable playing LW next to Taty as opposed to playing in the middle once Taty left. In this case if "that guy" we are talking about is our striker in the middle of the attack I agree with KevinJRogers KevinJRogers that Talles is not that guy. Let him go back out wide where he had the majority of his success and bring in a Taty replacement that can help make the space Talles needs to do his thing and take guys on 1 v 1.

Edit: M moogoo beat me to it by 2 min
Right, I meant Talles Magno isn't the guy at striker. He wreaks havoc swooping in from the wing, and his instincts seem to drag him out there anyway. I don't know that he could ever really be the answer at the 9 (Taty was kind of the other way around, playing on the wing when his instinct was to attack centrally).

If we can pair Talles with a true striker who brings a little more to the dance than Héber can, look out.

Talles thrives on ball. Maxi and Santi are also ball dominant. Gaby can do both. Few teams in the league have as many on ball options - which is a strength - but runners are needed to complement.

Talles will improve, but a younger striker that will make the runs is needed to make the system flow.

Talles thrives on ball. Maxi and Santi are also ball dominant. Gaby can do both. Few teams in the league have as many on ball options - which is a strength - but runners are needed to complement.

Talles will improve, but a younger striker that will make the runs is needed to make the system flow.

exactly this. santi is happy to run onto the ball too. but someone like taty who is always looking to go in behind but also leads the press is needed. thiago likes to run in behind, but he doesn't seem like a striker at all.

exactly this. santi is happy to run onto the ball too. but someone like taty who is always looking to go in behind but also leads the press is needed. thiago likes to run in behind, but he doesn't seem like a striker at all.
I thought we might try some kind of dual striker formation with Talles Magno and Héber after Taty left (ironically, that's what Girona employs with Taty and Stuani). Maybe a 3-5-2. I have no idea if anything like that was ever blocked out on the training ground, and I don't know that we ever had the right guys all healthy at the same time, and for long enough, to even play with it.

Switching to a 3-4-3 base certainly worked out well enough, so what the hell do I know. LOL

Reactions: Kjbert

I've got ball options too... though two is definitely less than 8.

Okay sorry that was an adam adam joke

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Frankly, we should be moving on from Tinnerholm. High budget charge for a player that age with injury issues. Strictly business. Not personal.

I would argue with the "injury issues" label. He came back from a ruptured Achilles after 9 months, and wasn't quite ready yet. The fact he was as good as he was in the playoffs -- still only 12 months post-injury, was remarkable.

I would argue with the "injury issues" label. He came back from a ruptured Achilles after 9 months, and wasn't quite ready yet. The fact he was as good as he was in the playoffs -- still only 12 months post-injury, was remarkable.

Don’t disagree. But he’s 32 with a ruptured Achilles. He’s not going to get more athletic from here. And for how we THINK we play, there’s a lot of pressure on the fullback in this system.

Don’t disagree. But he’s 32 with a ruptured Achilles. He’s not going to get more athletic from here. And for how we THINK we play, there’s a lot of pressure on the fullback in this system.
As much as I love tinny, I agree. If we keep him, it would have to be at a reduced wage, not going up. And we'd need either a backup or he becomes a backup. You just can't rely on someone who is 32 coming off of a pretty bad foot injury

Reactions: Kjbert