2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As much as I love tinny, I agree. If we keep him, it would have to be at a reduced wage, not going up. And we'd need either a backup or he becomes a backup. You just can't rely on someone who is 32 coming off of a pretty bad foot injury

Don’t we play more games next year with the whole Liga MX tournament too?

Pretty clear I am not high on Gray as a RB. I can’t see us going into the year with Tinny and Gray for 40+ games.

Don’t we play more games next year with the whole Liga MX tournament too?

Pretty clear I am not high on Gray as a RB. I can’t see us going into the year with Tinny and Gray for 40+ games.
Yeah. Also the fact that tinnerholm is more than likely returning to sweden as reported recently...

yea with the leagues cup tournament next year, it's definitely going to test team depth. i think a lot of clubs will be looking to increase roster depth this off season.

yea with the leagues cup tournament next year, it's definitely going to test team depth. i think a lot of clubs will be looking to increase roster depth this off season.
I think we'll see a lot of rotation with MLS NEXT Pro to help in the depth department. Fortunately, we have a lot of talent down there. We've already moved Haak and O'Toole up, maybe for good, but there are some other guys on the Deuce who can definitely help.

We've already seen a little of Owusu and we know what Gloster brings to the table (depending on what day of the week it is and whether he feels like playing LOL). Benalcazar and Turnbull are both really good. John Denis was a menace before he got hurt (14 goals in 18 games). El Mahdi Youssoufi was really good. Bednarsky, too.

They kind of fell apart after Denis went down and we started grabbing guys at the same time. But before that, they were running a 4-3-3 (which I think is Nick's preferred formation) pretty effectively.

Yeah, they make it explicit in the sub-head. But the headline should have been clearer.

clickbaity.

have not liked HRD since christian left to do something else. They push out a lot more content now but a lot of it, to me, is fluff. but i digress.

Will be sad to see Anton go. Was definitely huge for us his first 2 years. sucks he had been out for essentially a year, but that's how it goes sometimes. hopefully, we can find a solid replacement. gray is a decent right back, but his attacking brain needs work and development. we need someone who can pull a gabby and slot right in and become a star.

who can we poach (for any of the needed positions) from europe who isn't being utilized but would/could be rejuvenated in MLS? can we find our own riqui puig?

clickbaity.

have not liked HRD since christian left to do something else. They push out a lot more content now but a lot of it, to me, is fluff. but i digress.

Will be sad to see Anton go. Was definitely huge for us his first 2 years. sucks he had been out for essentially a year, but that's how it goes sometimes. hopefully, we can find a solid replacement. gray is a decent right back, but his attacking brain needs work and development. we need someone who can pull a gabby and slot right in and become a star.

who can we poach (for any of the needed positions) from europe who isn't being utilized but would/could be rejuvenated in MLS? can we find our own riqui puig?
Maybe. I've been doing some amateur sleuthing, and no one leaps out at me. But the global talent pool is enormous, of course (CFG's slice of it is pretty huge in and of itself) and there's a lot to get settled in house before the organization can know what the salary profile will look like, anyway.

All we can be sure of is, it will be a Brazilian and their first name will be Thiago. :D

So Tinnerholm gone, need a RB, i do think Callens and Maxi stay.

do we think santi will get bought out? or is he gone? i feel dude is gone. CFG will put him somewhere. which will leave a big gap.

I dont know if O'toole is really the starter on the LWB or they plan on getting someone there as well and then amundsen might get pushed further down. Owuso will be the next CB option im sure for 2023 as a back up.
a striker is needed badly, i really think we have enough wingers and tried options but Heber is back up at best now it seems.

is there any one on NYCFC II we think may make a jump? i hope with apple+ i can follow the team more closely and easier to stream games.

Reactions: KevinJRogers

do we think santi will get bought out? or is he gone? i feel dude is gone. CFG will put him somewhere. which will leave a big gap.

I dont know if O'toole is really the starter on the LWB or they plan on getting someone there as well and then amundsen might get pushed further down. Owuso will be the next CB option im sure for 2023 as a back up.
a striker is needed badly, i really think we have enough wingers and tried options but Heber is back up at best now it seems.

is there any one on NYCFC II we think may make a jump? i hope with apple+ i can follow the team more closely and easier to stream games.
Santi is on loan anyway, so his loan is up now. I doubt he'll be brought back, they'll probably move him to girona from january as they'll probably use him...

• Sad
Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo

I mentioned some names on the Deuce (see above) who could potentially help. I'm sure we'll see a couple of them pop up as things are getting sorted out.

Thank God we have a full offseason this year to get the roster squared away. There are indeed a lot of questions to answer.

And the boys must be absolutely spent; they need the rest. The team played 47 competitive matches from Feb. 27 to Oct. 30 after getting barely a month off at the end of last season. Add in all the travel and the fact we played on five different home pitches, and it really brings what they accomplished into focus.

Anyway, the AppleTV+ deal includes "select" MLS NEXT Pro matches next year. I'm assuming the rest will be streamed on the website the way they were this year. Which was great, I got to watch a lot of the games: mlsnextpro

I mentioned some names on the Deuce (see above) who could potentially help. I'm sure we'll see a couple of them pop up as things are getting sorted out.

Thank God we have a full offseason this year to get the roster squared away. There are indeed a lot of questions to answer.

And the boys must be absolutely spent; they need the rest. The team played 47 competitive matches from Feb. 27 to Oct. 30 after getting barely a month off at the end of last season. Add in all the travel and the fact we played on five different home pitches, and it really brings what they accomplished into focus.

Anyway, the AppleTV+ deal includes "select" MLS NEXT Pro matches next year. I'm assuming the rest will be streamed on the website the way they were this year. Which was great, I got to watch a lot of the games: mlsnextpro

the issue is that there is no app for mls next pro so i have to use my phone constantly to steam it on my tv. not huge issue just annoying lol.

edit: also there is no way to watch games on demand barely highlights. ill try and keep tabs with the names you mentioned.

Last edited:
soooo this started floating around. I know Sean Johnson's contract is up, but are they really not trying to get him back. Jurado imo WAS a prospect. he got smoked 7-0 in a game against america. he is not great. i would assume barazza would get a starting spot. Its not a purchase though, this is apparently a one year loan, which makes this weirder.

Jumping in here to say that NYCFC should look to sign Chicho from LA or get Josef. Would love either one of them up top.

Jumping in here to say that NYCFC should look to sign Chicho from LA or get Josef. Would love either one of them up top.

Josef is not even half what he was pre-injury. And seems like there's a pretty decent chance he'd be a mess in that locker room. I don't think he's worth the risk.

Reactions: Kjbert
is chicho even available? i'd be shocked if LAFC let him go. Yeah they have bouanga now, but chicho had been their life saver all season and grabbing goals when they needed them.
Honestly not sure, but they were rumored to be looking to move him before the window closed in the summer.

They’re always going to look to bring new signings in, so would need to offload some cap space and he’s going to be a candidate for that.