2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The problem is that even then it's not a guaranteed success. Many teams have brought in supposed "potential MVP"-type midfield DP's that have been trash.
pirlo smile GIF by NYCFC

This made me wonder what is the MLS Top Dollar for a goalkeeper. So, I looked it up. Here are the guys who made more that SJ last year.
  1. Roman Burki - St. Louis - $1,632K
  2. Andre Blake - Philly - $869K
  3. Eloy Room - Columbus - $883K
  4. Bill Hamid - DC United - $700K
  5. Steve Clark - Houston - $620K
  6. Nick Marsman - Inter Miami - $587K
  7. Alex Bono - Toronto - $557K
That St Louis salary is absolutely absurd. Plus typically expansion teams give up a lot of goals so all salary is going to look really stupid, likely come the end of the season.

My vote for captain, of the remaining players, whatever it’s worth, Keaton Parks. He’s the only player that shows up to fan events. Fans love him. He plays with his heart. Sadly he’s been injured a bit but if he continues his trajectory, he should be on the 2026 World Cup roster.

My vote for captain, of the remaining players, whatever it’s worth, Keaton Parks. He’s the only player that shows up to fan events. Fans love him. He plays with his heart. Sadly he’s been injured a bit but if he continues his trajectory, he should be on the 2026 World Cup roster.

I'd be good with this. Not sure if he still has dreams to go back to Europe but if he is captain and retires here I'd be happy hah.

I dunno, man. Our academy is barely eight years old and has already produced talent like Sands, Scally and Gio Reyna. It can't be that bad.

Can't agree on Gray, either. For a guy who's been asked to play out of position, and in some high-pressure circumstances, he's held up well. And he may be our best "in your shorts" defender.

Anyway, as far as current situation is concerned, it's definitely a transition period. But that's life in MLS. It's a single-entity league designed to produce competitive parity. We just have to navigate through, and I don't think we have anything like a clear picture yet. I do know we have some really good young talent around.

Only Sands ever contributed for us and I could make the argument that those three plus Haak were all built up OUTSIDE of our Academy.

Maybe Gray is a useful depth piece but he’s not an MLS starter as he enters his Age 21 season. Jasson is not an MLS player.

McFarlane is already being eyed up for a move abroad and Carrazo is a dual national thay can go to Argentina tomorrow. I doubt either plays for us. Carabao probably gone at 16 or 17. McFarlane could be gone this summer assuming he signed the rumored new deal.

So in 8 years, you have Sands (we didn’t develop) and a nice depth piece in Gray.

Only Sands ever contributed for us and I could make the argument that those three plus Haak were all built up OUTSIDE of our Academy.

Maybe Gray is a useful depth piece but he’s not an MLS starter as he enters his Age 21 season. Jasson is not an MLS player.

McFarlane is already being eyed up for a move abroad and Carrazo is a dual national thay can go to Argentina tomorrow. I doubt either plays for us. Carabao probably gone at 16 or 17. McFarlane could be gone this summer assuming he signed the rumored new deal.

So in 8 years, you have Sands (we didn’t develop) and a nice depth piece in Gray.

some of them leave too. Rossi went to parma, polvara went to scotland. i want to say there were a couple more from the U17 that left to europe too. NYCFC II is supposed to help with trying to keep players, but in the end if they have euro passport they leave and wont take a contract.

so you dont get the better prospects even if you develop them.

all those guys are essentially all in the same generation. they won the championship together. other than them, we have had a few here and there, who we have signed, but only one is playing with the II squad.

the academy isn't churning out as much as it should for as big a city NYC is. You can't tell me the red bulls are taking everyone? the number of potential kid stars in this city has got to be huge. it's just a matter of finding them and that's on the club if they are not sending more scouts out. I know they have open tryouts but not sure if they are in enough locations at enough different times to really see more kids. are they even well advertised? that's another issue too.

I can speak to this somewhat first hand. Our Academy HAS pulled back their satellite locations. The local feeder clubs outside of New York City have issues with NYCFC. There is a much stronger bond between NYRB than NYCFC. There is also competition from foreign run Academies such as Olympiakos. Parents are keeping their kids in the feeder programs because the instruction is better and the commute.

This has been an issue since the Pandemic. No update in sight.

Reactions: Joe_Cos and adam
some of them leave too. Rossi went to parma, polvara went to scotland. i want to say there were a couple more from the U17 that left to europe too. NYCFC II is supposed to help with trying to keep players, but in the end if they have euro passport they leave and wont take a contract.

so you dont get the better prospects even if you develop them.

Sounds like our Academy isn’t helping us.

Reactions: adam
I can speak to this somewhat first hand. Our Academy HAS pulled back their satellite locations. The local feeder clubs outside of New York City have issues with NYCFC. There is a much stronger bond between NYRB than NYCFC. There is also competition from foreign run Academies such as Olympiakos. Parents are keeping their kids in the feeder programs because the instruction is better and the commute.

This has been an issue since the Pandemic. No update in sight.

i am of the belief both teams can do better recruiting INSIDE city limits. But since their facilities are outside of it they dont go for it.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
i am of the belief both teams can do better recruiting INSIDE city limits. But since their facilities are outside of it they dont go for it.

Our Academy facilities also blow donkey cock.

Chelsea Piers has better facilities.

• Wow
Sounds like our Academy isn’t helping us.

its an issue for sure. other places is not an issue since there is no salary cap and roster limitations ( and i assume US labor laws limit things too). so they sign all players from academy to first team contracts and have them move back and forth between teams.
however europe is still the main destination for development for everyone.

Our Academy facilities also blow donkey cock.

Chelsea Piers has better facilities.

there arent any honestly. I think red bull is finally going to have a good one. they also had like two three fields and that was it. and yet had good prospects come out of that. nycfc does need to invest in that. i REALLY doubt that happens now with the money going to the stadium.

• Sad