2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you had sold Taty ($2.5 million GAM) and Sands (probably also $2.5 million GAM as a HG), then you don’t have these problems. Which is what I said in May.

Reactions: adam and Fake Jew
Definitely not a big name but definitely the type of young European player who would conceivably sign for mls and possibly exceed here somehow also posted this in 2019 thread and don’t know how to erase . 🙈

Reactions: Kjbert
i dont know why why people are expecting big names, that has not happened since the pirlo/lampard/ villa days.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
Not sure this good news, 23 year old CB from the French 2nd division with a transfer market value of 2M. If we make the move and the value is accurate it seems like confirmation that Callens is gone and we are dumping a considerable amount into another CB. I'd rather they just spend the money on Callens if that's an option.
Callens came from Spain's second division as a 23 year old CB

Were he 25 instead of 30 we might have done it regardless.
When he was 26 we extended him for 4 years without needing to make him a DP. One of those paradoxes. He didn't have the ability to demand DP money until he was too old to make it a good investment. And I would probably have been against it then anyway.

why does it seem like we're losing all our players to south american clubs?
Santi just had to be different, didn't he?

But seriously it makes sense given we sign a lot of South American players who are not good enough for Europe when we sign them. Some of them never quite level up and back to SA, or maybe Mexico, is the only place to go, or they age up and home is a retirement stop like Maxi.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
When he was 26 we extended him for 4 years without needing to make him a DP. One of those paradoxes. He didn't have the ability to demand DP money until he was too old to make it a good investment. And I would probably have been against it then anyway.
I thought this was an interesting take on center backs. We may be seeing a trend.

There's a certain logic to it, kind of like the old rock'n'roll adage "guitarists are a dime a dozen, the rhythm section makes the band." 2023 moves highlight the importance of MLS center backs

That being said, I'm hesitant to use DPs on center backs too. One is the limit, and it has to be the right guy in the right tactical situation. I know more than a few people think we wasted one on Martins, but I personally am reserving judgment for now. I'd like to see what he does with a full season after being fully integrated and settled in. (The way things are going, he may actually be the "old man" of the squad this year.)

EDIT: I should have said "old man of the XI" rather than squad. I was thinking starters. Obviously, both Fredo and Chanot are older. And I'm assuming Sean Johnson is a goner too.

Last edited:
Obviously hugely disappointing to lose Callens, but Boca Juniors is a huge move for him. That's a massive club in Argentina. Good for him to get to go to that club, and I hope he kills it there.

I, too, wouldn't necessarily have wanted to make Callens a DP even if we didn't have Martins. We got Callens for his age 24-30 seasons. Players start to regress once they hit their 30's, so we got him for his best seasons and allowed him to move on.

As good as he is, it's probably the wrong move to sign a 31-year-old CB to a DP contract that would have taken him to 34-35 years old. Realistically, Callens would have been gone or diminished in a couple years anyway. Another example of dropping players a year too early instead of a year too late. I'll miss watching him play and he's a legend of this club, but ultimately I don't think this is a wrong move long-term.

Last edited:
Obviously hugely disappointing to lose Callens, but Boca Juniors is a huge move for him. That's a massive club in Argentina. Good for him to get to go to that club, and I hope he kills it there.

I, to, wouldn't necessarily have wanted to make Callens a DP even if we didn't have Martins. We got Callens for his age 24-30 seasons. Players start to regress once they hit their 30's, so we got him for his best seasons and allowed him to move on.

As good as he is, it's probably the wrong move to sign a 31-year-old CB to a DP contract that would have taken him to 34-35 years old. Realistically, Callens would have been gone or diminished in a couple years anyway. Another example of dropping players a year too early instead of a year too late. I'll miss watching him play and he's a legend of this club, but ultimately I don't think this is a wrong-move long-term.
Well said.

If Deila is still here does everyone leave? Ronnie sent a clear message that he didn’t believe this club was worth sticking with for even one year to attempt to repeat. I can’t believe that has no effect. In all, assuming Johnson goes, 7 of the 11 players who started our Cup final will have left at their earliest next opportunity, and that’s not even counting Medina. Plus you could add Tinnerholm who would have started but for his injury. This has to say something about the club culture, and I don’t think it’s because NYCFC is a bad place to play.

To be clear, IMO Ronnie’s replacement is irrelevant and this has nothing to do with Nick and everything to do with luring players and coaches by telling them the club is a stepping stone and then proving it. Winning the cup is a value multiplier of diminishing time value. Then the manager himself bails out midseason and everyone left has to think - what am I staying for?