2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thiago Andrade is terrible and should probably try his hand at the 100 yard dash.

Assuming Santi comes back, you’re missing a True #9, a RB, a LB, a 2nd CB and depth all across the front.

If Sands returns, that’s great. But where are the goals and who is coming off the bench?
Did you forget about the Ilenic and Cufre signings or don't expect them to be impact players at all?

I can understand tempering expectations from Ilenic this year as he's super young and it often takes young guys in a new league/country time to get situated. But I'm expecting Cufre to provide quality and mixed in with Amundsen and O'Toole, don't think we need to add anything there.

If Sands comes back, that solves the CB depth piece IMO.

This team definitely needs a true #9. I would prefer one that is good enough to move Talles back to LW, but a decent backup quality is necessary at a minimum.

Did you forget about the Ilenic and Cufre signings or don't expect them to be impact players at all?

I can understand tempering expectations from Ilenic this year as he's super young and it often takes young guys in a new league/country time to get situated. But I'm expecting Cufre to provide quality and mixed in with Amundsen and O'Toole, don't think we need to add anything there.

This team definitely needs a true #9. I would prefer one that is good enough to move Talles back to LW, but a decent backup quality is necessary at a minimum.

I think it's tough to throw an 18 year old that played in the Slovenian league into MLS and expect him to be an upgrade over Gray. I am hopeful that Cufre is better than Amundsen but it's a question mark until April probably. Feel better about him than Ilenic. But remember Iraola couldn't cut it here...

Sands isn't a 2 ATB CB. So yeah, he provides cover, but what's the formation? Puts more attacking pressure probably on Wingbacks and they are question marks for me. But we're better with him than without him.

Then we go up front. Santi, Talles Magno and Gabby are quality players. And that's it. No one else inspires confidence in the attacking crew. Andrade, Jasson, the kid from Stanford.

Reactions: Gene and SoupInNYC
And I know I am a negative nellie around here. But this team is demonstrably weaker than the one that won MLS Cup 14 months ago. And teams around us have improved dramatically

Reactions: Gene

isn't the backup quality #9 segal?

And I know I am a negative nellie around here. But this team is demonstrably weaker than the one that won MLS Cup 14 months ago. And teams around us have improved dramatically

Our current roster is not an MLS Cup contender. Clearly we are retooling on the fly. I think this year we'll probably be decent (4th-6th in the East), hope to win a round in the playoffs. And if we continue to add quality players, our ceiling increases. Unless things go very wrong with injuries, I don't think this team misses the playoffs.

I think it's tough to throw an 18 year old that played in the Slovenian league into MLS and expect him to be an upgrade over Gray. I am hopeful that Cufre is better than Amundsen but it's a question mark until April probably. Feel better about him than Ilenic. But remember Iraola couldn't cut it here...

Sands isn't a 2 ATB CB. So yeah, he provides cover, but what's the formation? Puts more attacking pressure probably on Wingbacks and they are question marks for me. But we're better with him than without him.
I'm not sure Iraola is the right comparison considering the age differences. Iraola was about to retire, Cufre is 26. Iraola definitely couldn't cut it at fullback, but he was a solid 6.

Sands isn't a 2 ATB CB but he can play there still with decent quality. IMO, that fills the depth that's needed especially considering after that you have Alfaro and then Gray and Owusu can play there if we need to go that deep.

Then we go up front. Santi, Talles Magno and Gabby are quality players. And that's it. No one else inspires confidence in the attacking crew. Andrade, Jasson, the kid from Stanford.

a lot of worry about lwb.... i thought o'tool was pretty solid and consistent last year. so much that he took the starting spot from amundsen. so lwb is definitely not a position i am worried about. if cufre is better than o'toole, even better! right side is more worrying, but at worst we have gray... or jasson. lol.

Reactions: Kjbert and Revfugee

Iraola was in the twilight of his career and brought here to help Villa get accustom to the league. He then was then our third best CDM in team history behind Sands and Ring. I really enjoyed watching him grow into that role.

I hope not.

Unless he does turn into quality, then I hope so (kind of - still should add someone)
I think he's primarily an NYCFC II player.

you're right. i forgot his signing had a lot of NYCFC II language from Lee.

so yea, we definitely do need a starting #9 or a solid backup #9 for the first team.

----

i was looking at the team roster on the club website and was surprised to see taty listed as a DP. don't think i noticed that before.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not sure Iraola is the right comparison considering the age differences. Iraola was about to retire, Cufre is 26. Iraola definitely couldn't cut it at fullback, but he was a solid 6.

Sands isn't a 2 ATB CB but he can play there still with decent quality. IMO, that fills the depth that's needed especially considering after that you have Alfaro and then Gray and Owusu can play there if we need to go that deep.
Also, I remember Iraola as being not so great but if you go back to the farewell video it's obvious that the team and PV and DV7 did not agree. Iraola's "failure" is probably more down to having the likes of Jason Hernandez and Jefferson Mena alongside him. And his age. ETA WIkipedia has him listed as a Defender though i remember him as more of a CDM. Regardless, the signoff from his manager and teammates is instructive.

Reactions: Kjbert
Also, I remember Iraola as being not so great but if you go back to the farewell video it's obvious that the team and PV and DV7 did not agree. Iraola's "failure" is probably more down to having the likes of Jason Hernandez and Jefferson Mena alongside him. And his age. ETA WIkipedia has him listed as a Defender though i remember him as more of a CDM. Regardless, the signoff from his manager and teammates is instructive.

He played his entire career as a right-back but didn't have the speed for it once he got here. He transitioned to CDM for us and I remember him doing well, he stabilized the position albeit on a weak roster, read the game well, and helped us move the ball through the midfield. He was well past his prime but I thought he made a meaningful contribution and played well for us.

Our current roster is not an MLS Cup contender. Clearly we are retooling on the fly. I think this year we'll probably be decent (4th-6th in the East), hope to win a round in the playoffs. And if we continue to add quality players, our ceiling increases. Unless things go very wrong with injuries, I don't think this team misses the playoffs.

I would like David Lee to come out and explain the roster limitations and defend the Sands and Taty loans because we could use their transfer fees.

Reactions: gbservis