2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Was he on there after his loan expired? I see a few guys listed there that are out on loan, but still technically NYCFC players such as Acevedo and Mitrita, but I don't think that provides any insight towards Santi here.

yea, i don't recall if he was still there after his loan expired. still has #20, so maybe he was (i'm assuming he'd take #10 if he returned).

curious indeed. could definitely be a mistake (more likely than not)

Taking this analysis into consideration, what are your thoughts on roster slots 12-24? There have been a lot of complaints about how weak the team is if a first-teamer is injured.
Lots of uncertainty. I'm not even sure who is first 11 and who is not for positions such as LB, 10, and 2-3 others including keeper. I know close to nothing about Cufre, Ilenič, and even Pellegrini.
Alfaro seems to be an older version of our usual journeyman CB backup, but I've no idea how good is he in fact for that role.
Ledezma could have high upside but his injury and playing history make it far less than certain.
Can Ilenic challenge Tayvon Gray for playing time?
Will Cufre or O'Toole get most of the minutes at LB, and does Amundsen have any role on the team at all?
I'm cautiously optimistic about Freese (and OK with Barazza) but whoever it is will need to prove himself.
Random thought: Can anyone take a decent free kick?
We have no backup CF and presumed starter Talles has never played that position. Will he fill that role? False 9? Another TBD.

With all that uncertainty, for the first time since 2018 or so I'm not confident we're a top 5 team in MLS. But we could be. We also could finish 7th. I will be shocked if we miss the playoffs. Martins, Chanot, Parks, Santi, Pereira, Talles and Thiago make a very solid core. I think/hope we have at least one more major acquisition coming, if not by Spring then in the Summer.

Also NOTE that I revised the post above to add Vukovich to the list of players who are gone.

Reactions: JayH and JCMore
Random thought: Can anyone take a decent free kick?
I think Gabi can, though not too sure about going direct on goal.

I'm hopeful that one of Ilenic or Cufre will be able to, but honestly have no clue. That's just wishful thinking since fullback is often a position where guys are capable of taking free kicks / corners.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
I get what your saying but what's my motivation then to pay for apple tv or really watch or follow the early regular season then?
For one, skipping Apple TV doesn't directly send any message to NYCFC I don't think. Perhaps silly of me but I still view MLS as vital to support for its survival and for our National Team and even though I don't watch other teams all that often - if Messi comes or other stars, I definitely will want to watch. I like the option of late night west coast games occasionally.

As someone who sadly no longer is local and can't go to games live, it's really my only choice - unless you are saying you are only a supporter if they can win it all - which if you are posting here I assume is not the case. There's always players I want to see regardless of whether we are a top team.

I get what your saying but what's my motivation then to pay for apple tv or really watch or follow the early regular season then?
I ask myself that every time I watch the EPL mesmerized by the quality and intensity, and then realize that my primary devotion is to a team in MLS. But you cannot swipe away a feeling. Roster buildup or no, there will always be better soccer out there. We follow NYCFC just because we do.

I think Gabi can, though not too sure about going direct on goal.

I'm hopeful that one of Ilenic or Cufre will be able to, but honestly have no clue. That's just wishful thinking since fullback is often a position where guys are capable of taking free kicks / corners.
Yeah I was not clear but I meant direct on goal.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Yeah I was not clear but I meant direct on goal.

I think gabby is perfectly capable of taking free kicks on goal. He has definitely shown he has a talented left foot. If santi comes back, he'll definitely be in the mix for right footed direct shots on goal.

I wouldn't be surprised of talles steps up, though i don't think it is his specialty.

other than that, doesn't seem like we have a real threat. at least not one that we know of at the moment.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think/hope we have at least one more major acquisition coming, if not by Spring then in the Summer.
Or not so major and turns out to be a steal, like Pellegrini -- who, by the way, played as a 10 against St. Louis and "impressed," according to Cushing, and is going to play the 10 in our last preseason game, too. He's listed as a forward (specifically, a left winger), but there it is. It's the kind of versatility I've been talking about.

Anyway, I think at this point it's clear we're not doing anything big until the summer window. And I think that's sensible. We're good enough right now where we can afford to wait until the European seasons are over and a bigger pool of talent becomes available.

Especially since it's entirely possible all we'll be looking for by then is a striker.

If Santi is back I'm feeling 100x better going into the early season. Then, heading into the summer, with the possibility of a Sands return and new summer signings, including hopefully a CF, things could really be looking up.

Conversely, if no Santi, then I'm feeling pretty deflated. No #10 and a converted winger as #9 to start, blegh.

Edited to account for Vukovich.

The roster is not nearly as thin as people think.

Nine players from 2021 chose to leave. Acevedo, Callens, Castellanos, Ibeagha, Johnson, Moralez, Sands, Thorarinsson, and Tinnerholm. We chose not to retain another 5. Heber, Medina, Rocha, Shradi, Vukovich. So 14.

The club added Alfaro, Cufre, Freese, Ilenič, Ledezma, Martins, O'Toole, Pellegrini, Pereira, and Rodriguez. Plus I think it's fair to say that Haak went from barely there to a meaningful roster member in the last 2 years.
That's 11.

If you think I made a mistake, please give specifics, but I think we're only down 3 roster spots, and 1of those is probably being held in case Sands returns so 2 really. Even if Ledezma and Rodriguez both fall through, there's still just 4 spots to fill, and the current window is open until late April.

What I'm saying is it's time to stop criticizing Lee for moving slowly and time to start criticizing him because you don't like the players he acquired.

They also let go Zelalem and unless I missed it as of now we have no confirmation of Santi's return. So that's 15 out with 10 back in. Given that MLS roster size is 20 players 5 players is 25% of our roster. That's before we get to your other point of not liking the replacements which I do agree with because going off quality the majority of the names on your added list come nowhere close to replacing those on the departed list.

If Santi is back I'm feeling 100x better going into the early season. Then, heading into the summer, with the possibility of a Sands return and new summer signings, including hopefully a CF, things could really be looking up.

Conversely, if no Santi, then I'm feeling pretty deflated. No #10 and a converted winger as #9 to start, blegh.
Hmmm, converted winger into a 9? Where have I heard that before?
New York City Fc Mls GIF by NYCFC

That’s an experiment that’s really worked out for us before. Im willing to try it again.

Hmmm, converted winger into a 9? Where have I heard that before?
New York City Fc Mls GIF by NYCFC

That’s an experiment that’s really worked out for us before. Im willing to try it again.

i've said this before, but i think talles and taty are two very different types of players. i think taty was made to be a #9. the only things he had to learn were positioning and different runs. but he's always had that aggression and willingness to run in behind, plus aerial threat. even as a winger, he was never one to take people on and always preferred running in behind.

talles is a dribbler, loves to take people on, and just isn't super aggressive/physical for someone of his size. i think he's much more of a natural winger and it will take a lot more time and effort to change his style to be a #9 vs taty. not saying it is impossible, but i personally would rather him become the next henry vs an average #9.

They also let go Zelalem and unless I missed it as of now we have no confirmation of Santi's return. So that's 15 out with 10 back in. Given that MLS roster size is 20 players 5 players is 25% of our roster. That's before we get to your other point of not liking the replacements which I do agree with because going off quality the majority of the names on your added list come nowhere close to replacing those on the departed list.
Good catch. Plus we just dropped Gloster this afternoon. I'll go back and revise.

Reactions: Kjbert
For one, skipping Apple TV doesn't directly send any message to NYCFC I don't think. Perhaps silly of me but I still view MLS as vital to support for its survival and for our National Team and even though I don't watch other teams all that often - if Messi comes or other stars, I definitely will want to watch. I like the option of late night west coast games occasionally.

As someone who sadly no longer is local and can't go to games live, it's really my only choice - unless you are saying you are only a supporter if they can win it all - which if you are posting here I assume is not the case. There's always players I want to see regardless of whether we are a top team.

The Buffalo Bills are my longest followed team in professional sports and I stuck by following Rangers when they were forced to start over in the bottom tier of Scottish football so I don't need the team to only be winning every season. The response was to the fact that it's been posited that the early part of the MLS season is so unimportant that the team can afford to half ass the off season and bring in players half way though . My question is if that's how the owners or actual team see it, why shouldn't I?

The Buffalo Bills are my longest followed team in professional sports and I stuck by following Rangers when they were forced to start over in the bottom tier of Scottish football so I don't need the team to only be winning every season. The response was to the fact that it's been posited that the early part of the MLS season is so unimportant that the team can afford to half ass the off season and bring in players half way though . My question is if that's how the owners or actual team see it, why shouldn't I?
My condolences for your Bills fandom ;).

The system needs an overhaul for sure - but I still enjoy watching our team play regardless. I’m not going to wait til the summer to tune in. Part of a good playoff run for us seems to be that we suck in the last third of the season so better to watch early than late!

That said - I hope we bring in a splashy DP in the summer window. We could use an injection of entertainment for sure.

We could use an injection of entertainment for sure.
I think we can expect this regardless. I mean, no one really thinks we signed an 18-year-old Slovenian right back just for poops and giggles, do they? You grab a kid out of nowhere like that for a reason. That was straight-up scouting for a particular piece for a particular style of play.

Personally, I think Cushing is looking to run opponents off the pitch. High octane stuff. We could be in for some pretty wild games.

I think we can expect this regardless. I mean, no one really thinks we signed an 18-year-old Slovenian right back just for poops and giggles, do they? You grab a kid out of nowhere like that for a reason. That was straight-up scouting for a particular piece for a particular style of play.

Personally, I think Cushing is looking to run opponents off the pitch. High octane stuff. We could be in for some pretty wild games.

Clearly, he is Cushing's love child and Nick hasn't told him yet.

• Haha
Reactions: KevinJRogers