2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
what? if this is actually true, does that mean we potentially lost Callens bc MLS has some weird zimmerman rule or something?

There needs to be a roster mechanism that helps teams retain mid to late-career players whose valuation goes a bit over the DP threshold. Players like Callens, Long, and Robison are core players on these teams that fans are emotionally invested in. Part of growing a strong loyal fan base is giving them some subset of players that are going to be with the team long term that they can watch across their career. Callens may have wanted to go but if he would have stayed for a bit more money it really stinks that we as fans lost out on the chance to see him retire as an NYCFC player over $100,000 in salary because he crossed some imaginary salary $ amount.

MLS is still a selling league so there will always be roster turnover from young up-and-coming players that are here for a few years before morning on the bigger leagues but the league needs to balance that instability by finding ways for teams to hang onto core veterans.

I hadn't heard this before and seems a little editorialized, but what's the full story?
If Twellman actually said something previous about Long and Callens it's not on Twitter.
When our free agents were deciding I remember there being discussion on the limits placed on offers from other MLS teams, not on the teams trying to retain them. I don't remember the details and I don't follow this stuff too closely because it's all Callvinball so why bother. But I suspect Twellman might be referencing that and maybe someone who knows those rules or remembers the discussion better than me can correct me or elaborate.

If Twellman actually said something previous about Long and Callens it's not on Twitter.
When our free agents were deciding I remember there being discussion on the limits placed on offers from other MLS teams, not on the teams trying to retain them. I don't remember the details and I don't follow this stuff too closely because it's all Callvinball so why bother. But I suspect Twellman might be referencing that and maybe someone who knows those rules or remembers the discussion better than me can correct me or elaborate.
Yeah, I could be getting it wrong here, but basically the only team that could have made Callens or Long a DP was their previous teams. The amount that other teams could offer them was limited in terms of new money on top of their old contract.

NYCFC 2022-2023 Records as Players Depart Without Replacements

2022 Deila 2.00 PPG (8H 5A)
2022 Cushing with Taty 1.71 PPG (3H 4A)
2022 Deila and Cushing blended with Taty 1.90 PPG (11H 9A)
2022 Cushing no Taty 1.21 PPG (6H 8A)
2023 Cushing no Taty, Maxi, Callens, or Heber 1.75 PPG (2H 2A)
2023 Cushing no Taty, Maxi, Callens, Heber or Thiago 1.00 PPG (3H 5A)

I think the team has problems that are Nick's responsibility, but the main problem is we lost 33 goals and 11 assists and replaced close to none of them. Ledezma is new, and Pellegrini barely played in 2022, so he's new-ish, but combined they have 0 G and 2 A in almost 1200 minutes.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd like to agree, but as proven by TFC, Atlanta and others, big spending can run into big disappointment
I don’t even mean big spending. I mean spending appropriate to have a fulsome roster without holes and with depth. We don’t have to overspend, but we have the resources, the network and the roster flexibility to make the effort to spend well, even if there are some misses.

As the linked article notes, the point about loaned players is muddied because every other team in MLS possibly has loaned players on their lists also. Still, the club is very mid in salary costs right now.
As has been pointed out elsewhere (I think Lalas even tweeted something about it), the MLSPA salary data are an incomplete measure of a club's investment in its roster. The big omission is transfer fees, which don't show up at all in the numbers. NYCFC has paid quite a lot in fees over the past few years, and if these were factored in, I would bet the Pigeons end up toward the top of the chain.

Regarding salaries for loaned players - yes, other teams have loans as well, but do any have two DP-level players loaned out (or even one). My guess is that it takes much more off our books than anyone else's.

I hope this is how they announce him, if they do actually sign him
And every time he scores, instead of doing the call response of the first name | last name, it should go
Announcer: That goal scored by IT'S . . . .
Crowd: FRIGAN TIME!
Plus a whole set of Frigan Time graphics for the scoreboard, socials, highlight splashes, and clothing.

I don't care if he's good. I want him.

Last edited:
And every time he scores, instead of doing the call response of the first name | last name, it should go
Announcer: That goal scored by IT'S . . . .
Crowd: FRIGAN TIME!
Plus a whole set of Frigan Time graphics for the scoreboard, socials, highlight splashes, and clothing.

I don't care if he's good. I want him.
it'll probably take him like 5 months to score a goal, and then we'll go back full circle to canchon canchon 's original joke but with "for him to score a goal"

it'll probably take him like 5 months to score a goal, and then we'll go back full circle to canchon canchon 's original joke but with "for him to score a goal"
Would be nice if Frigan actually scored a Frigan goal

The variations never end. Go get him if for nothing else but this.

He's Super Frigan, yow...

super freak funk GIF by Rick James

Offseason buyout of Thiago Martins, or a full contract restructure that he's a GAM/TAM player rather than a DP. Sign a DP striker. Sign a U22 player. Clean it up, David Lee. This roster is poorly constructed from a budget/salary perspective.