2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
More confirmation that the regular season doesn’t matter and MLS is eh

that falls on MLS though. Where teams can wait till summer to get players and try to make a run. especially with increasing the amount of playoff spots. and stopping the league for the leagues cup.

Reactions: Kjbert

If you want to create a narrative in the playoffs (which they said they were trying to do) and also make the regular season be relevant, you gotta change up the way the league is structured.

Fewer teams in the playoffs and longer playoff series could work.

The issue is, they know that their dedicated fans are the ones with their asses in their seats and primarily the ones tuning in to watch broadcasts. You can make the playoffs cool has hell but it's still going to be more profitable for the league to have 16-20 teams with fans in person in the playoffs than 6-8 teams with fans watching from home.

It's a tough problem to solve.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
Yes and also no.

The first round is a best of 3 series with the higher seeded team hosting two (if necessary) of the matches. After that, the higher seed hosts knockout matches.

This year to date, home teams in MLS earn 1.84 PPG vs 0.88 PPG on the road. Almost a whole point per game difference.

Since we are looking at only wins/losses, let's take it to win %'s and remove draws from the scenario. Home teams are winning 52% of their matches and road teams are winning only 20% of their matches.

If we take this done to look at only current teams above the playoff line:
Home teams are earning 2.15 PPG and winning 65% of the time.
Road teams are earning 1.13 PPG and winning 28% of the time.

Sure, with nine teams making the playoffs, I can buy to a degree that the regular season doesn't matter.

But getting that home field advantage in the playoffs looms incredibly large.

Looking at playoffs since the home/away series were retired:
2022: Home teams went 11-2
2021: Home teams went 7-6 with 3 of those losses coming against NYCFC. I've already noted how that 2021 NYCFC team was historically one of the best in MLS history so would like to add that to the context, but understand that doing so could be considered cherry-picking.
2020: Home teams went 10-5
2019: Home teams went 9-4

200k 2023 GAM almost entirely assures that something is coming in the summer window right? Otherwise it would be a sham of a trade for us.

The team has set the precedent that they will accommodate players that want to move even if it hurts our depth. My guess is that this is more about moving Malte because he's unhappy with his playing time than some strategic plan to acquire GAM for an impending transfer.

that falls on MLS though. Where teams can wait till summer to get players and try to make a run. especially with increasing the amount of playoff spots. and stopping the league for the leagues cup.

Somewhat, yes. Doesn’t mean that the clubs have to save their money though and wait until July to bring guys in.

Somewhat, yes. Doesn’t mean that the clubs have to save their money though and wait until July to bring guys in.

i feel more are going to do this. especially with the current format. the only ones who wont are the ones in CCL every year.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yes and also no.

The first round is a best of 3 series with the higher seeded team hosting two (if necessary) of the matches. After that, the higher seed hosts knockout matches.

This year to date, home teams in MLS earn 1.84 PPG vs 0.88 PPG on the road. Almost a whole point per game difference.

Since we are looking at only wins/losses, let's take it to win %'s and remove draws from the scenario. Home teams are winning 52% of their matches and road teams are winning only 20% of their matches.

If we take this done to look at only current teams above the playoff line:
Home teams are earning 2.15 PPG and winning 65% of the time.
Road teams are earning 1.13 PPG and winning 28% of the time.

Sure, with nine teams making the playoffs, I can buy to a degree that the regular season doesn't matter.

But getting that home field advantage in the playoffs looms incredibly large.

Looking at playoffs since the home/away series were retired:
2022: Home teams went 11-2
2021: Home teams went 7-6 with 3 of those losses coming against NYCFC. I've already noted how that 2021 NYCFC team was historically one of the best in MLS history so would like to add that to the context, but understand that doing so could be considered cherry-picking.
2020: Home teams went 10-5
2019: Home teams went 9-4

I don’t know that this really changes the narrative, especially when 2022 saw the two best teams in the league steamroll their way to the Cup Final.

I don’t know that this really changes the narrative, especially when 2022 saw the two best teams in the league steamroll their way to the Cup Final.

Lots of teams have bided their time until July, got reinforcements, and then steamrolled their way to MLS Cup. Not saying this is what we're going to do, but we're already near the top of the conference -- a good striker probably lifts us to legit championship contenders. And considering the ages of all the players we're bringing in lately, it's fair to call this a rebuilding year. Imagine if our rebuilding year ends in another deep postseason run?

Lots of teams have bided their time until July, got reinforcements, and then steamrolled their way to MLS Cup. Not saying this is what we're going to do, but we're already near the top of the conference -- a good striker probably lifts us to legit championship contenders. And considering the ages of all the players we're bringing in lately, it's fair to call this a rebuilding year. Imagine if our rebuilding year ends in another deep postseason run?

And yet I pay for the games that “don’t really matter”

And yet I pay for the games that “don’t really matter”

That's a fair critique, but I want my team to win. The definition, in America, of winning is to do it in the playoffs. Blame the system, because the goal is to win MLS Cup, not to be the best team in June.

That's a fair critique, but I want my team to win. The definition, in America, of winning is to do it in the playoffs. Blame the system, because the goal is to win MLS Cup, not to be the best team in June.
The good thing is, that the playoff system is heavily, heavily weighted towards home teams as previously noted. So the teams that perform the best before the playoffs have a statistically significant advantage in the playoffs.

What the hell was the justification for sending Thiago Andrade out when we're already short offensive depth and we replaced him with nobody this window?
How come every time a player wants out and another teams wants him for nothing in return we say "Is this fast enough?" when it take us a year to find one fecking striker?

Mitrita: I want to leave to be with my family.
Multiple loanee clubs: we'll never pay you.
NYCFC Is now good, or is that too slow?
Sands: I want to go to Europe.
Rangers: We'll never pay you.
NYCFC: Do you want that gift-wrapped?
Taty: Send me to Europe
Europe: Not going to pay for that.
NYCFC: Go to a sister club for a free year.
Andrade: it's not working out
Paranaense: Will you take a back-dated check?
NYCFC: That's our favorite!!!

Looks like Taty will work out, but can we just once replace these guys on time?
Magno replaced Mitrita as an offensive DP with a 14 game gap spanning 2 seasons.
Sands replaced himself after a year plus.
It's going to be at best 11 months and maybe more without a Taty replacement and Andrade will go unreplaced for at least 17+ games.

Throw Heber in there too. Minimum 22 games without a replacement.

Right now we counting on G. Segal to replace Taty, Heber and Magno.
Well Done Thumbs Up GIF by ABC Network

Last edited: