2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is something people say when they know they’ve lost the argument.

What is our record post Taty? It’s not good

nah that's what you say to someone who has already made up their mind and won't be persuaded otherwise. but you do you. crazy is fashionable these days... you got flat earthers, election deniers, all that fun stuff. you're in good company.

nah that's what you say to someone who has already made up their mind and won't be persuaded otherwise. but you do you. crazy is fashionable these days... you got flat earthers, election deniers, all that fun stuff. you're in good company.
I kinda agree with kjbert right now though - I don't understand your side? We haven't been scoring. That's a fact.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
I kinda agree with kjbert right now though - I don't understand your side? We haven't been scoring. That's a fact.

My side is that the current roster is capable of winning more than they are. That's it. It's not that difficult to understand. I'm not claiming they are cup contenders or we have a top roster in the league, but our results and performance is more due to underperforming, mistakes, and bad luck than a poor roster.

We need a striker and depth for sure. But when all are healthy our current best xi is far from the worst. Again, my pov is not that difficult to understand.

If asking random questions in response to my opinion of the team is a persuasive argument for you then by all means, join him 😂

My side is that the current roster is capable of winning more than they are. That's it. It's not that difficult to understand. I'm not claiming they are cup contenders or we have a top roster in the league, but our results and performance is more due to underperforming, mistakes, and bad luck than a poor roster.

We're ranked 15th in both in xGD and xPts. We should be a mid-table team.
We're 24th for GD-xGD.
We're 23rd in xG, 6th in xGA.
We're 21st in GF and 18th in GA.

For all of our offensive woes, when it comes to results not matching performance, our problem is we've conceded 22 goals (including 1 own goal) on only 16.84 xGA. I think set play defending is why our results are lagging our mediocre performance. But bottom line, you're right that this team should have a better record.

We're ranked 15th in both in xGD and xPts. We should be a mid-table team.
We're 24th for GD-xGD.
We're 23rd in xG, 6th in xGA.
We're 21st in GF and 18th in GA.

For all of our offensive woes, when it comes to results not matching performance, our problem is we've conceded 22 goals (including 1 own goal) on only 16.84 xGA. I think set play defending is why our results are lagging our mediocre performance. But bottom line, you're right that this team should have a better record.

Being mid table is acceptable to M moogoo though.

Being midtable in May and June is acceptable as long as there are reinforcements coming this summer. Our team, right now, is true-talent 6-10 in the East, not 13th. We were incredibly unlucky to come away with only 1 point in these last two games. Probably should have won both games. If we would have won both games, we'd have been in 9th place, two points away from 5th. If reinforcements are coming this summer, we're going to be fine.

I think we all agree this current roster isn't good enough. Even I've said there's an alarming amount of complacency in the front office right now. But I still trust the process and believe better results are on the horizon.

We're in a tournament league, not a table league, which means points and standings don't mean a thing, especially at this point in the season. All you have to do in a tournament league is finish above the line and you're in, then just win four matches in a row. In the EPL the points are all that matters, in MLS the points are not important.

(And yes, for the moment I'm ignoring seeding and home-field, just for the sake of argument.)

I think we all agree this current roster isn't good enough. Even I've said there's an alarming amount of complacency in the front office right now. But I still trust the process and believe better results are on the horizon.
I'm not so sure it's complacency as much as patience, and maybe a little caution (we don't want a repeat of the Alexandru Mitrita saga).

We have to remember, Taty's situation is only partially resolved. His loan to Girona concludes at the end of this month -- ironically, so does Mitrita's contract -- so we either have to loan him out again or outright sell him by then or his DP comes back.

I have no idea what's cooking, of course. But here's an interesting scenario I've been kicking around in my head: What if, by some miracle, Leo Messi spurns that massive pile of bonesaw money and goes to Inter Miami instead?

That sets up an intriguing possibility: Taty is the DP striker we need. We can go to him and say, "Come back home. It just became a different league than the one you left. We'll give you a big supplemental contract through our stadium opening season with some juicy escalator clauses thrown in, we'll do all our marketing around the 'young gun vs. the greatest of all time' kind of thing and push your profile to the stratosphere -- the first true MLS superstar, etc."

That's a lot of spitballing, and it's hard to see Messi walking away from an easy €400 million. But what if he does? There's a real opportunity for the rest of MLS to be smart and leverage that. And New York being New York, we might have the best opportunity of all.

Whether Taty would go for it is an open question of course. He notched a very respectable 13 goals at Girona. There may already be some decent offers on the table. Messi or no Messi, he might want to stay in LaLiga or try his hand elsewhere in Europe.

But man, can you imagine the whole returning hero thing going on? Especially since our squad would go from something of a damp squib on the attack to a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse. Drama plus. Taty wouldn't be able to walk five steps after getting off the 7 Train without being mobbed in Corona Park.

And we play Inter Miami in Miami on September 30 . . .

Reactions: Majik
We're in a tournament league, not a table league, which means points and standings don't mean a thing, especially at this point in the season. All you have to do in a tournament league is finish above the line and you're in, then just win four matches in a row. In the EPL the points are all that matters, in MLS the points are not important.

(And yes, for the moment I'm ignoring seeding and home-field, just for the sake of argument.)
Not to have the same discussion yet again (we're on a forum, of course we will!), but I think Kjbert and I are both on the side of "can we just be good always? It's more fun and exciting to watch" than "let's sneak into the playoffs after a mediocre 5 months"

I get it but this is why I’ve yet to buy Apple TV or watch a single game live this season . I just follow on my phone and watch highlights on YouTube . The team has made it clear they don’t care about this stage of the season so why should I ?

Not to have the same discussion yet again (we're on a forum, of course we will!), but I think Kjbert and I are both on the side of "can we just be good always? It's more fun and exciting to watch" than "let's sneak into the playoffs after a mediocre 5 months"

the thing is being good always isn't the same as roster composition. We could sign all the best players who would make big news and make all the fans happy, but the on field performance could still suck ass and we could still be in a slump. Hate to do it again, but see Chelsea FC.

Do I want to be good always? of course. Do I want more players where we need them? Of fucking course. My position is simply that the current roster is capable of better results but have gotten unlucky (like vs the Revs), underperformed (i think we can all agree santi and talles are not pulling their weights as DPs), and individual mistakes being punished (see many). I think kjbert's position is simply that the roster is shit and that's why we are shit. But it's hard to say what his position is cause he just repeats the same things and asks random questions.

So, in conclusion, it seems we're all on the same page of "we want to be good always" and "we want better results" but we are not on the same page when it comes to the roster composition.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I'm not so sure it's complacency as much as patience, and maybe a little caution (we don't want a repeat of the Alexandru Mitrita saga).

We have to remember, Taty's situation is only partially resolved. His loan to Girona concludes at the end of this month -- ironically, so does Mitrita's contract -- so we either have to loan him out again or outright sell him by then or his DP comes back.

I have no idea what's cooking, of course. But here's an interesting scenario I've been kicking around in my head: What if, by some miracle, Leo Messi spurns that massive pile of bonesaw money and goes to Inter Miami instead?

That sets up an intriguing possibility: Taty is the DP striker we need. We can go to him and say, "Come back home. It just became a different league than the one you left. We'll give you a big supplemental contract through our stadium opening season with some juicy escalator clauses thrown in, we'll do all our marketing around the 'young gun vs. the greatest of all time' kind of thing and push your profile to the stratosphere -- the first true MLS superstar, etc."

That's a lot of spitballing, and it's hard to see Messi walking away from an easy €400 million. But what if he does? There's a real opportunity for the rest of MLS to be smart and leverage that. And New York being New York, we might have the best opportunity of all.

Whether Taty would go for it is an open question of course. He notched a very respectable 13 goals at Girona. There may already be some decent offers on the table. Messi or no Messi, he might want to stay in LaLiga or try his hand elsewhere in Europe.

But man, can you imagine the whole returning hero thing going on? Especially since our squad would go from something of a damp squib on the attack to a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse. Drama plus. Taty wouldn't be able to walk five steps after getting off the 7 Train without being mobbed in Corona Park.

And we play Inter Miami in Miami on September 30 . . .

Tatys is not coming back, a player with his level of drive and determination doesn't go to Europe drop 4 goals on Real Madrid and then at 24 years old turn around and go back to the MLS because Messi decided to retire in Miami.

I also am unwilling to give the FO a pass on being patient or cautious in searching for a Taty replacement. There are certainly roster spots in the soccer world that are difficult to fill such as finding a star striker for a champions league side or finding the next Messi at 12 years old somewhere in South America. Finding an impactful MLS level #9 is not that type of needle-in-a-haystack task. There are 100s of players in leagues worldwide that could fill the #9 void on our roster. If CFG's scouting network is as robust as we are consistently told it is the FO should have a list of candidates to fill that spot and there is no reason to be waiting for the right guy. The only reasons I can think of as to why we don't have a #9 at this point are:

1. CFGs scouting network is not nearly as robust as we have been led to believe - doubtful
2. The FO is intentionally trying to save money right now and cut costs possibly because of all the money going to the stadium - Maybe
3. There is something broken with the way the club goes after players and they keep striking out on the players they are trying to sign and/or they move so slowly through candidates that they consistently run out of time each window.
4. The FO legitimately thought this roster could compete as is either with Magno in the middle or some false 9 set up and they didn't really try that hard to get a #9

I think the most likely explanations are #3 and/or #4 and if it's either one of them David Lee has failed and we need a more capable person running our front office.

the thing is being good always isn't the same as roster composition. We could sign all the best players who would make big news and make all the fans happy, but the on field performance could still suck ass and we could still be in a slump. Hate to do it again, but see Chelsea FC.

Do I want to be good always? of course. Do I want more players where we need them? Of fucking course. My position is simply that the current roster is capable of better results but have gotten unlucky (like vs the Revs), underperformed (i think we can all agree santi and talles are not pulling their weights as DPs), and individual mistakes being punished (see many). I think kjbert's position is simply that the roster is shit and that's why we are shit. But it's hard to say what his position is cause he just repeats the same things and asks random questions.

So, in conclusion, it seems we're all on the same page of "we want to be good always" and "we want better results" but we are not on the same page when it comes to the roster composition.
Our roster is good enough to be "semi good" if we perform well. Mark above pointed out we should be 15th across both conferences, about mid-table. I don't consider that good enough. I don't think our roster is capable of top table stuff.

Yeah, we could do better than that if the roster over-performs, but then again every team can do well if their roster over-performs.

Our roster is good enough to be "semi good" if we perform well. Mark above pointed out we should be 15th across both conferences, about mid-table. I don't consider that good enough. I don't think our roster is capable of top table stuff.

Yeah, we could do better than that if the roster over-performs, but then again every team can do well if their roster over-performs.

Dont' get me wrong, i don't think this roster is capable of top of the table. I think we should be good enough to make the playoffs, which this season is 9th place in the conference and consistent with what mgarbowski pointed out. We are currently bottom quarter of the conference and league table. With this roster, I think we should be doing better. that's all i've been trying to say.

Reactions: Marito and Shwafta
Dont' get me wrong, i don't think this roster is capable of top of the table. I think we should be good enough to make the playoffs, which this season is 9th place in the conference and consistent with what mgarbowski pointed out. We are currently bottom quarter of the conference and league table. With this roster, I think we should be doing better. that's all i've been trying to say.
Agreed, we should be doing better - but we also shouldn't be in a position where we're discussing playoff cutoffs being at 9th place, and that comes down to roster construction. Yeah, we could potentially "chelsea" it, but we clearly aren't doing that when we aren't even bringing in a striker.

Reactions: Vallos
I don't think it's complacency. I believe Lee's hands are tied.
He may have free rein to go out and sign a Tony Alfaro type, but when it comes to big money DP's we're getting who CFG says we're getting and fuck you Cush, make it work.

Hey couch
I don't think it's complacency. I believe Lee's hands are tied.
He may have free rein to go out and sign a Tony Alfaro type, but when it comes to big money DP's we're getting who CFG says we're getting and fuck you Cush, make it work.
His hands maybe somewhat tied and he also may not be that good at his job. Or maybe he is good at his job for CFG and their weird three card monte but not for rostering the best club possible.
Are we maybe learning that the players most crucial to the success of NYCFC and winning the cup were brought in prior to Lee? Who really knows what is behind the making of this cocktail, whatever it is, it's not tasting very good.

Reactions: JayH and gbservis
Agreed, we should be doing better - but we also shouldn't be in a position where we're discussing playoff cutoffs being at 9th place, and that comes down to roster construction. Yeah, we could potentially "chelsea" it, but we clearly aren't doing that when we aren't even bringing in a striker.
Exactly. We should never have glaring holes in our roster for more than reasonable periods of time. We should never be short on depth. We have all of the resources to have that not be the case. That doesn’t mean we have to always win, be successful, or perform well, it just means that there is no excuse to half ass the roster construction.

Exactly. We should never have glaring holes in our roster for more than reasonable periods of time. We should never be short on depth. We have all of the resources to have that not be the case. That doesn’t mean we have to always win, be successful, or perform well, it just means that there is no excuse to half ass the roster construction.

And if we've made the (quite reasonable) decision that better players will be available in the summer window, so we need to wait until then, that's fine. But that should also be explained so fans understand what the decision-making process is.