2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am ok with all of our confirmed outgoing so far. Tinny wasn’t very good last year. Only in spurts. Maxi is 35. He’s cooked but played very well last year. Heber hasn’t been good in two years. Acevedo played very well at the end of the season, but his salary charge was going to go up with his age.

Between Tinny and Maxi and Heber, that’s probably close to $1 million in TAM and a DP slot. With Acevedo gone, that frees up a U22 slot.

I would feel differently if Callens and Johnson don’t return.

Reactions: Kenny

How much GAM we talking though.

I don’t expect a big name to come in but I expect tam level players or at best hope for DP level player being bought down with GAM.

Another cycle done, and new era. 2023 is really up in the air. But come first couple weeks I really hope they have players lined up. I realllly don’t want them wasting training camp time with nycfc 2 players that won’t even be in first team.

Edit: we can’t be shocked at this when they traded away former captain Alex ring. There is no one that they won’t be open to trading selling letting go.

I’m fine with big bets and letting fan favorites go. I just don’t want a situation like when Dome was grumbling about getting his 8th choice striker Heber a 2 months into the season. Or Diela having to say Andres Jasson is my number 1 choice on the wing. Sign the quality players before the season starts.

I’m fine with big bets and letting fan favorites go. I just don’t want a situation like when Dome was grumbling about getting his 8th choice striker Heber a 2 months into the season. Or Diela having to say Andres Jasson is my number 1 choice on the wing. Sign the quality players before the season starts.
Oddly, those happen to be the years of (1) NYCFC's only first place finish and best regular season point total, and (2) winning MLS Cup.

The slow starts and incomplete rosters are frustrating but so far they have not coincided with disappointing results.

Emotionally I think I might take Heber's departure harder than any other player, but honestly getting $400k GAM for a player on $914k guaranteed comp in 2022 (presumably higher in 2023) and capable of limited minutes is a very good deal.
Exactly. From a pure numbers perspective $900k is a lot for a vibes guy. Just opened $1.3M of salary flexibility. That can buy a lot if it is the right buy.

That said, it suuuuuuucks losing Heber.

So far this off-season, we’ve…

Opened up a DP slot
Opened up a U22 slot
Freed up $1 Million in TAM
Acquired $400k in GAM

We need to sign a Striker, a starting RB, an attacking midfielder with those dollars. I am assuming there is a world where Santi is purchased and replaces Maxi as a DP. You replace “Santi” with a U22 player. Ultimate cap flexibility there. And then you need a Striker.

Prepare for disappointment if you're expecting a full roster of high quality replacements by the start of the season. We have always leveraged the summer window to complete the team.

I'm also pretty sure Talles will be given the striker spot. Talles is super talented and the point of bringing him in young is to coach him up and sell him on. It's showcase time for that investment, and 2023 will be a really important year for his career.

Prepare for disappointment if you're expecting a full roster of high quality replacements by the start of the season. We have always leveraged the summer window to complete the team.

I'm also pretty sure Talles will be given the striker spot. Talles is super talented and the point of bringing him in young is to coach him up and sell him on. It's showcase time for that investment, and 2023 will be a really important year for his career.

Talles ran very hot and cold last year, but he had 11 goals and 10 assists in all comps last year. If he can be a little more consistent with it, he's pretty clearly going to be the focal point of the offense in 2023.

Talles ran very hot and cold last year, but he had 11 goals and 10 assists in all comps last year. If he can be a little more consistent with it, he's pretty clearly going to be the focal point of the offense in 2023.

the thing is, most of his production was playing as a wing. when he moved to the #9 position, his production dropped off and "went cold". yea, he needs to learn the #9, but i'm not sure if he should be. What's wrong with having a tall, strong winger with good feet? Thierry Henry anybody?

Make or break without Santi and Maxi sounds like an uphill climb.

Reactions: Kjbert and Higgs1
the thing is, most of his production was playing as a wing. when he moved to the #9 position, his production dropped off and "went cold". yea, he needs to learn the #9, but i'm not sure if he should be. What's wrong with having a tall, strong winger with good feet? Thierry Henry anybody?

We kind of thought the same thing about Taty before he went supernova. Talles is still only 20 years old; plenty of room for his talents to flourish. He already took a pretty big step last year, no reason he can't make another big step.

Team just released the Heber news. Thought this part of David Lee's quote was revealing.

There's this crazy concept of "Offload things before you get new things" that's actually a pretty responsible thing to do.
I know, crazy!

Sometimes I'm wildly off with my statements. I'm happy this time is not one of them

So far this off-season, we’ve…

Opened up a DP slot
Opened up a U22 slot
Freed up $1 Million in TAM
Acquired $400k in GAM

We need to sign a Striker, a starting RB, an attacking midfielder with those dollars. I am assuming there is a world where Santi is purchased and replaces Maxi as a DP. You replace “Santi” with a U22 player. Ultimate cap flexibility there. And then you need a Striker.
We also acquired 2 International spots, right?
We must have a ton of open spots at this point.