2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We kind of thought the same thing about Taty before he went supernova. Talles is still only 20 years old; plenty of room for his talents to flourish. He already took a pretty big step last year, no reason he can't make another big step.

yes. taty needed some time to learn the #9 but he and talles are very different players. talles thrives on the wing taking people on 1v1. taty was never that kind of player. you could argue he was better as a striker even while he was learning the position because he was everywhere and happy to run in behind.

i'm not saying talles can't learn the position, i'm just asking the question whether it's worth it considering how good he is as a winger? why can't he become a super star winger? why does the team want so badly to make him a #9? i'm just asking the question. i don't have the answers.

yes. taty needed some time to learn the #9 but he and talles are very different players. talles thrives on the wing taking people on 1v1. taty was never that kind of player. you could argue he was better as a striker even while he was learning the position because he was everywhere and happy to run in behind.

i'm not saying talles can't learn the position, i'm just asking the question whether it's worth it considering how good he is as a winger? why can't he become a super star winger? why does the team want so badly to make him a #9? i'm just asking the question. i don't have the answers.

I think there are two reasons; because (1) he has the potential to do it, and (2) the position change could double his transfer value.

With the caveat that this is a *highlight* video, watch him again last year:

I see evidence of beating people 1-on-1, yes. But I also see evidence of hold-up play. Poaching. Runs in from behind. Attacking from the sides and the middle. High pressing. Short passing in narrow lanes. Etc. He really can do it all, he just needs the consistency that comes with reps. He only played 8 games at striker last year (2 goals, 2 assists) according to whoscored.com, that is a tiny sample. Give him 20 games at striker to start next season and build some chemistry with whomever is playing attacking midfield (a much bigger need after losing Santi and Maxi), and we'll know a lot more about his floor and ceiling at the position.

Reactions: Sabo

We don't know if the team "badly" wants to make him a #9 yet. If we don't bring in a striker this window, I think we can say that. He served as striker out of necessity last year. We are pretty clearly adding salary cap space for a big roster build; I'd be surprised if the starting striker for next season was already on the roster.

We seem likely to be in need of: A starting goalkeeper (hopefully Johnson), a starting center back (hopefully Callens), a starting right back, a starting No. 10, a starting No. 9, and other depth pieces. Let's see where this roster is in a month before we proclaim that the team wants Talles to be a long-term No. 9.

We don't know if the team "badly" wants to make him a #9 yet. If we don't bring in a striker this window, I think we can say that. He served as striker out of necessity last year. We are pretty clearly adding salary cap space for a big roster build; I'd be surprised if the starting striker for next season was already on the roster.

We seem likely to be in need of: A starting goalkeeper (hopefully Johnson), a starting center back (hopefully Callens), a starting right back, a starting No. 10, a starting No. 9, and other depth pieces. Let's see where this roster is in a month before we proclaim that the team wants Talles to be a long-term No. 9.

yea we shall see. if there is no new hyped #9 signing, then we can be sure the team is looking at Talles to be that guy. Ronny used to say he saw Talles as the #9 too and even when Heber was healthy, Talles started over him for a few games. that's why i think the team wants to make him a #9, but of course, I am not sure. but we will know soon enough.

I think there are two reasons; because (1) he has the potential to do it, and (2) the position change could double his transfer value.

With the caveat that this is a *highlight* video, watch him again last year:

I see evidence of beating people 1-on-1, yes. But I also see evidence of hold-up play. Poaching. Runs in from behind. Attacking from the sides and the middle. High pressing. Short passing in narrow lanes. Etc. He really can do it all, he just needs the consistency that comes with reps. He only played 8 games at striker last year (2 goals, 2 assists) according to whoscored.com, that is a tiny sample. Give him 20 games at striker to start next season and build some chemistry with whomever is playing attacking midfield (a much bigger need after losing Santi and Maxi), and we'll know a lot more about his floor and ceiling at the position.

he has the skill and potential to do a lot of things, but just because he can play the #9 doesn't mean he would thrive there. As I said, his most productive times were as a winger. he got lots of goals and assists and was a part of plenty of chance creations. that all slowed down as a #9. Could be due to his not knowing where he needs to be yet. He can learn these things. I'm just asking the question whether it's worth taking him away from his best position to do so? I think it's a big bet and if that is what they are betting on, then i hope it pans out.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Let's see where this roster is in a month before we proclaim that the team wants Talles to be a long-term No. 9.
Personally, I don't think they do. He's certainly capable of handling it, and if it comes to that we'd be alright. And it's certainly possible he could develop into a really good one.

But he's a winger. He just looks so much more comfortable, engaged and dangerous when he's out there running wild.

My guess is we already have someone lined up, anyway.

the thing is, most of his production was playing as a wing. when he moved to the #9 position, his production dropped off and "went cold". yea, he needs to learn the #9, but i'm not sure if he should be. What's wrong with having a tall, strong winger with good feet? Thierry Henry anybody?

I think the production was much more a product of playing next to Taty than the fact that he was on the wing. Talles needs space to maximize his abilities and up until now, he's been dependent on others to create that space for him. If we start the season short on attacking talent and/or creative midfielders I expect we will see Talles struggle a bit.

At some point in 2021 season, I was talking to SoupInNYC SoupInNYC and I mentioned that I think Taty is dire at the front and that he should go back on the wing, because he gets in good positions at goal but just can't put the shots away. I was then shown (and a subsequent article came out) stats that showed Taty was well ahead on the underlying stats and should "catch up" eventually. He then scored that game and started his run to get the golden boot.

What are Talles' numbers like? Anyone know? Because I've had the same thoughts - he gets in great areas, but whenever he shoots I end up facepalming

So I thought this was 400k now + 200k in 23 and 200k in 24, totalling to 800k. It's not, it's 400k, split into 200k in 23 and 200k in 24.

I thought we were basically getting his salary paid in transfer fee but I'm wrong entirely hmmmm

Reactions: Kjbert
Langbot says franchise. Do they mean designated by that?
I don’t want 2 CBs as designated players. And yes I’d rather have Callens than Martins but what’s done is done.
Exactly. This is the issue. The club rightfully doesn’t want to use 2 DP spots on CBs, and that is what Callens rightfully is asking to happen. It’s an unfortunate mess.

We should use our annual one-time buyout on Thiago Martins. Unless he has a Best XI year next year, he's a wash and should never have been signed, god forbid use a DP spot on. One of the worst signing, maybe the worst signing in club history.

We should use our annual one-time buyout on Thiago Martins. Unless he has a Best XI year next year, he's a wash and should never have been signed, god forbid use a DP spot on. One of the worst signing, maybe the worst signing in club history.

i don't know about worst signing in club history.

he had a rocky start but saved our bacon many times in the second half the season. he's not DP level, no. but I seem to recall when he was signed, that he was only barely a DP and hence, could get bought down and free up a DP spot.

with maxi gone and mitri soon to be out the door as well, he'll be our only DP on the books.

i don't know about worst signing in club history.

he had a rocky start but saved our bacon many times in the second half the season. he's not DP level, no. but I seem to recall when he was signed, that he was only barely a DP and hence, could get bought down and free up a DP spot.

with maxi gone and mitri soon to be out the door as well, he'll be our only DP on the books.
Isn't Magno a dp?