2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Honestly, if you really look at it, the outgoings have been mostly a net positive for the club.

1. Heber: Had one really great season, then fell off the face of the map. Even pre-injury, Heber didn't look good under Deila outside of the hat trick against a cupcake AD San Carlos in CCL. When he finally came back after the ACL injury, he was serviceable off the bench but seemed like he was out of his depth when he was given back the starting position after Taty's departure. On top of that, $900k is a lot for a player of his age and injury history.
  2. Maxi: Probably the most important player in team history, but age was gonna catch up eventually. He'll be 36 next year. At a certain point, it becomes a matter of letting the man leave while he's on top rather than letting Father Time catch up to him.
  3. Tinnerholm: Similar to Heber, there was a time when he could do no wrong. But he's coming off a major injury and is on the wrong side of 30. When he finally did get back on the pitch last season, he literally got hurt immediately. And when he came back from that one, he was solid but obviously not "Anton Tinnerholm is good at soccer" level anymore.
  4. Cacha: A lot of people love him. I just never rated him. Whenever he was on the ball, he seemed indecisive almost as if he was reacting to the play instead of thinking 1-2 plays ahead. Valuable depth for sure, but far from a gamechanger.
  5. Zelalem: I forgot he was even there.
  6. Santi: Very good player with a potentially bright future. However, maybe it's just me, but he seemed to regress a bit in 2022. That killer instinct he had in 2021 seemed to only be there in spurts. While I would've liked to keep him, I wouldn't have been comfortable with it costing us a lot of money.
  7. Vuk: Yikes.
  8. Haak: Honestly, he's just a depth piece. Not trying to clown the kid or anything, but I just don't see him being a huge piece for this club at any point in the future.
  9. Callens: Yeah, losing this man would be bad. But there's still hope he returns.
  10. Johnson: Would love to see him come back. But if it's either him or Callens, I'll gladly take Callens.

If you go through this list, it's mostly players that were either past it, were about to be past it, or are simply depth pieces (and not even great ones at that a la Seb Ibeagha). Had we lost players like Pereira, Magno, or Alfredo, I'd be worried. The only guys who I think are substantial are Callens and Johnson. And even when you look at those two closely, I think Callens is really the only one you can't live without if you want to be a contender. SeanJohn is the team captain and I love the guy. And when he's on, he's great. But he's also been historically inconsistent and tends to go through multiple 3-game stints where he just isn't locked in.

The issue here is just the sheer amount of players (an amount that looks way smaller if Callens and Johnson find their way back). However, given the CFG scouting network, this is hardly a list of irreplaceable players. Hell, I can see maybe one, maybe two of our SuperDraft picks supplanting some of these guys and doing a comparable job at it.

Am I being too optimistic?
Spot on observations from start to finish.

I don't think you're being too optimistic at all. We essentially cleaned out the roster. It's not so much rebuilding as setting the stage to reload. Really good analysis.

I do think Haak is about to re-sign, though. And it looks like we're bringing in Mitja Ilenič from Slovenia at right back. He's really young, just turned 18, but rated well. Very intriguing move.

As for the rest, I don't think we're going to have long to wait. It's going to come fast. We're in for a heck of a week, maybe 10 days. Then we'll see what we have.

Honestly, if you really look at it, the outgoings have been mostly a net positive for the club.

1. Heber: Had one really great season, then fell off the face of the map. Even pre-injury, Heber didn't look good under Deila outside of the hat trick against a cupcake AD San Carlos in CCL. When he finally came back after the ACL injury, he was serviceable off the bench but seemed like he was out of his depth when he was given back the starting position after Taty's departure. On top of that, $900k is a lot for a player of his age and injury history.
  2. Maxi: Probably the most important player in team history, but age was gonna catch up eventually. He'll be 36 next year. At a certain point, it becomes a matter of letting the man leave while he's on top rather than watching him fade away and fall victim to Father Time.
  3. Tinnerholm: Similar to Heber, there was a time when he could do no wrong. But he's coming off a major injury and is on the wrong side of 30. When he finally did get back on the pitch last season, he literally got hurt immediately. And when he came back from that one, he was solid but obviously not "Anton Tinnerholm is good at soccer" level anymore.
  4. Cacha: A lot of people love him. I just never rated him. Whenever he was on the ball, he seemed indecisive almost as if he was reacting to the play instead of thinking 1-2 plays ahead. Valuable depth for sure, but far from a gamechanger.
  5. Zelalem: I forgot he was even there.
  6. Santi: Very good player with a potentially bright future. However, maybe it's just me, but he seemed to regress a bit in 2022. That killer instinct he had in 2021 seemed to only be there in spurts. While I would've liked to keep him, I wouldn't have been comfortable with it costing us a lot of money.
  7. Vuk: Yikes.
  8. Haak: Honestly, he's just a depth piece. Not trying to clown the kid or anything, but I just don't see him being a huge piece for this club at any point in the future.
  9. Callens: Yeah, losing this man would be bad. But there's still hope he returns.
  10. Johnson: Would love to see him come back. But if it's either him or Callens, I'll gladly take Callens.

If you go through this list, it's mostly players that were either past it, were about to be past it, or are simply depth pieces (and not even great ones at that a la Seb Ibeagha). Had we lost players like Pereira, Magno, or Alfredo, I'd be worried. The only guys who I think are substantial are Callens and Johnson. And even when you look at those two closely, I think Callens is really the only one you can't live without if you want to be a contender. SeanJohn is the team captain and I love the guy. And when he's on, he's great. But he's also been historically inconsistent and tends to go through multiple 3-game stints where he just isn't locked in.

The issue here is just the sheer amount of players (an amount that looks way smaller if Callens and Johnson find their way back). However, given the CFG scouting network, this is hardly a list of irreplaceable players. Hell, I can see maybe one, maybe two of our SuperDraft picks supplanting some of these guys and doing a comparable job at it.

Great post. My only challenge is on Santi. I thought he was possibly our best player during our late season run, like absolutely on point. Losing him AND Maxi is devastating. I had envisioned Maxi inevitably moving on this off-season even after his extension last year, so I figured Santi would be the player to fill some of his void. He has proven capable imo.

Last edited:
Great post. My only challenge is on Santi. I thought he was possibly our best player during our late season run, like absolutely on point. Losing him AND Maxi is devastating. I had envisioned Maxi inevitably moving on this off-season even after his extension last year, so I figured Santi would be the player to fill some of his void. He has proven capable imo.

Yeah -- that's the high-wire act with always signing players like Santi, Pereira, Talles, etc. They want to move to Europe despite our desire to keep them. Our style of roster building with young, developing, skillful players means an entertaining team to watch, but constant roster churn as those players take the next step.

Yeah -- that's the high-wire act with always signing players like Santi, Pereira, Talles, etc. They want to move to Europe despite our desire to keep them. Our style of roster building with young, developing, skillful players means an entertaining team to watch, but constant roster churn as those players take the next step.

except that he's not going to europe? wasn't the rumor he'd be going back to south america?

Reactions: Kjbert
Bring back Callens.
Priority no.1. Think it will be a long season without him.
Would like Johnson and Santi as well.

I just ran the numbers on this.

In 2022, we gave up 41 goals over 34 games in the MLS Regular season.

In 7 games, Callens started without Martins. We gave up 14 goals for an average of 2 per game.
In 2 games, Callens and Martins were both on the bench. We gave up 5 goals in 2 games, for an average of 2.5 per game.
In 5 games, Martins started without Callens. We gave up 8 goals in 5 games, for an average of 1.6 per game.
In 20 games, Callens and Martins started together. We gave up 14 goals in 20 games, for an average of .7 per game.

The .7 goals per game against the Callens/Martins duo was lower than Philly's .77 goals against for the year.

I knew the numbers with the two of them playing together were good. I didn't know they were *that* good.

I just ran the numbers on this.

In 2022, we gave up 41 goals over 34 games in the MLS Regular season.

In 7 games, Callens started without Martins. We gave up 14 goals for an average of 2 per game.
In 2 games, Callens and Martins were both on the bench. We gave up 5 goals in 2 games, for an average of 2.5 per game.
In 5 games, Martins started without Callens. We gave up 8 goals in 5 games, for an average of 1.6 per game.
In 20 games, Callens and Martins started together. We gave up 14 goals in 20 games, for an average of .7 per game.

The .7 goals per game against the Callens/Martins duo was lower than Philly's .77 goals against for the year.

I knew the numbers with the two of them playing together were good. I didn't know they were *that* good.

We gave up 3 goals or 4 goals six times last year. Martins did not play in three of those, including both 4 goal games (5-4 vs Toronto at Citi, 4-4 at Cinci).
Callens played in both 4 goal games but missed 3 of the 3-goal games.
They both played in the 2-3 loss at Columbus in August.
They both missed the 0-3 loss to the Revs in September.

In the remaining 28 games we conceded 0-2 goals.
Callens missed 4. Martins missed 7. The both missed only consecutive 1-2 losses to Orlando and DCU in late August. Martins started the Orlando game and went 25 minutes before subbing off, and I'm counting any game a CB plays <45 as not playing for this exercise.

Watching his highlight tape, I'm honestly not huge on him. He seems really slow, constantly drops in too deep, and I fear his ability to link up with the wingers.
Just checking him out myself. I'm always a little leery of highlights since they're so selective, but I got the same impression. I don't know that he'd be dynamic enough for our style of play.

I checked out his business, too. He went for a €40 million transfer fee in 2019 and his value has dropped like a rock since then. He's down to €7.5 million right in the heart of his prime. Not a great sign.

Still, we could use some physicality on the front line. If we can get a bargain, and if Nick already has an idea how to use him and get the most out of him, it might be worth it.

EDIT: Another thing I noticed: I doesn't fool around. He gets himself in a dangerous area, looks up, finds the goal and shoots.

Good skills, seems to be really good with the ball at his feet. Can shoot left or right. He won't blow anyone's doors off but he's quick enough to keep up and get in position. And of course, to paraphrase an old basketball coach, the little fast guys get tired; big guys don't shrink.

It looks like he fizzled over the past three years or so, but he might be one of those dudes who just need a change of scenery. Queens might be the perfect place for him.

Scores a nice goal here at about the 5:40 mark against Fenerbahce on Christmas Eve:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Just checking him out myself. I'm always a little leery of highlights since they're so selective, but I got the same impression. I don't know that he'd be dynamic enough for our style of play.

I checked out his business, too. He went for a €40 million transfer fee in 2019 and his value has dropped like a rock since then. He's down to €7.5 million right in the heart of his prime. Not a great sign.

Still, we could use some physicality on the front line. If we can get a bargain, and if Nick already has an idea how to use him and get the most out of him, it might be worth it.
Yeah, highlights are hard to go by because as you mentioned, they're selective and will typically show only the best moments. However, even in Gomez's tape, I was very underwhelmed. The guy looks like he can't move and doesn't seem to possess tons of ability with the ball at his feet.

Yeah, highlights are hard to go by because as you mentioned, they're selective and will typically show only the best moments. However, even in Gomez's tape, I was very underwhelmed. The guy looks like he can't move and doesn't seem to possess tons of ability with the ball at his feet.
I got a different impression of his ball skills, to be honest. And I'd agree, he's no burner, but I don't think he's actually slow. He's got kind of a funny baby steps sort of gait and looks like he's running on ice. He covers ground, though. And those little baby steps work out for him under pressure in front of goal.

Just edited my previous comment if you want to take another look. I didn't see this reply while I was watching the latest game highlights.

Another thing I think I picked up on: Trabzonspor had him dropping deep in the middle for tactical purposes. I don't think it was him just doing it as a matter of course. He sure looks like he'd rather be up in the box.

Reactions: TheWritingGuyInBlue
I got a different impression of his ball skills, to be honest. And I'd agree, he's no burner, but I don't think he's actually slow. He's got kind of a funny baby steps sort of gait and looks like he's running on ice. He covers ground, though. And those little baby steps work out for him under pressure in front of goal.

Just edited my previous comment if you want to take another look. I didn't see this reply while I was watching the latest game highlights.

Another thing I think I picked up on: Trabzonspor had him dropping deep in the middle for tactical purposes. I don't think it was him just doing it as a matter of course. He sure looks like he'd rather be up in the box.
Just checked your edit. After watching that game against Fenerbache and getting a good idea of how he plays both on and off the ball, I'm willing to concede that he may fit in nicely here. Assuming he wants to come here.

Man City
Girona
Bahia
NYCFC

?

im not even sure Girona is that much of a priority. Like i know taty is there, but it feels like they just filled the squad to try and not get relegated. at least this year.

Reactions: mgarbowski