2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is my biggest worry.

If this is something that came up last minute the club will be scrambling to line up a deal. Even with all our resources, we know CFG take their time to ensure they dot all their i’s and cross all their t’s. This is not an organization to rush into anything. I find it hard to believe we’re going to be getting a replacement this summer. Or at least a substantial one that contributes like Gabby.
Different positions, but production wise I think Bakrar is a best a wash for Gaby, at least this year.

We really do need 2 more quality players this window. 12 days left.

it could be money. but i can't see a young player who more than likely is aiming for europe, wanting to go to qatar for money? not saying its definitely not that, but it would be out of the ordinary for such a young and talented player. even if the club wanted the money offered, if gabby didn't want to go he's on contract and doesn't have to go. unless there's some release clause that lets them sell him regardless of what he wants, which is possible since MLS contracts have that player rights waiver in them...
We traded of players intra-MLS, and disposed of many players for reasons of performance, but I cannot remember that we ever sold one for cash to a place the player did not want to go. And even if it's a fire sale because Gaby is fed up with Nick, I think (1) we can find a place he'd rather live and play if it's not the money, and (2) as much as we tend not to fire coaches midseason, if it came down to transferring the current best player on the team or firing Nick, we'd fire Nick, unless Gaby is a 100% jerk (of which I see no evidence).

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Any reason you don't assume it's just money? I'm assuming it's just money, but admittedly that's an assumption.

My heuristic is (1) it's almost always money, and (2) people infer our coach has lost the locker room almost every season, and it's only been true once, in 2015. Of course it could be true again, but people seem to jump for that conclusion much, much more than is warranted. It's pretty much a void into which we can project our preferred analysis.
Have heard that the salary offer to GP is too good

We traded of players intra-MLS, and disposed of many players for reasons of performance, but I cannot remember that we ever sold one for cash to a place the player did not want to go. And even if it's a fire sale because Gaby is fed up with Nick, I think (1) we can find a place he'd rather live and play if it's not the money, and (2) as much as we tend not to fire coaches midseason, if it came down to transferring the current best player on the team or firing Nick, we'd fire Nick, unless Gaby is a 100% jerk (of which I see no evidence).

there are a few different possibilities for sure. but this is just insane. what the hell is happening that players are so unhappy they'd be happy to go or that the team is willing to sell our best players?

Great time to call back Thiago

calling back thiago wouldn't help our offensive situation much either...

if they don't make some big splash signings in the next 12 days.. we can pretty much confirm the club has accepted this as a throwaway season.

Reactions: Kjbert
Gaby going to Qatar makes no sense from a talent standpoint, unless….

america cream GIF

I mean if they are getting something stupid like $10M for him then I understand, but they are now writing off this year. And cash means nothing unless you use it to buy new players.

Gaby going to Qatar makes no sense from a talent standpoint, unless….

america cream GIF

I mean if they are getting something stupid like $10M for him then I understand, but they are now writing off this year. And cash means nothing unless you use it to buy new players.

gotta grease some wheels to get that stadium built faster.

Reactions: Joe_Cos
By the time we got to 17 games at less than 1.1 PPG I had small expectations for this season. That wasn't changing even with major offensive additions this window, and Mr. 8 goals in Istra didn't move the needle. Losing Pereira at this point doesn't lower the expectations because there was nowhere lower to go. 11th place or 13th, who cares, same for 1.05 and 0.85 PPG.

So in theory I might have been OK with a don't rush, get it right for 2024 approach, but we already did that with the summer 2022 window and then shockingly again in the winter 2023 window, followed by having zero deals lined up to open this window. The one frontline player they eventually aded might become a star for all I know but he ain't bringing the excitement here and now. We need to add 2 major frontline players and soon.

Last edited:
By the time we got to 17 games at less than 1.1 PPG I had small expectations for this season. That wasn't changing even with major offensive additions this window, and Mr. 8 goals in Istra didn't move the needle. Losing Pereira at this point doesn't lower the expectations because there was nowhere lower to go. 11th place or 13th, who cares, same for 1.05 and 0.85 PPG.

So in theory I might have been OK with a don't rush, get it right for 2024 approach, but we already did that with the summer 2022 window and then shockingly again in the winter 2023 window, followed by having zero deals lined up to open this window. The one frontline player they eventually aded might become a star for all I know he ain't bringing the excitement here and now. We need to add 2 major frontline players and soon.
For me, 2023 is NYCFC’s vacuum year.

Fighting back for a 1-1 road draw in Portland, in a vacuum, is a good result. But not when the team hasn’t won for months.

Transferring Gaby for a significant profit, in a vacuum, is good business for the team. But not when the team is desperate for goals.

Also, vacuums and the 2023 season suck.

Gotta clear that roster space for Neymar, right?

It's times like these I'm glad the rest of my life isn't as shit as NYCFC right now or this season would really be getting me down!