2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know something: Velez 670 is a radio station. Fernandez is 19, playing for the team currently in 26th place of 28 in Argentina first division. Two years, 45 games, 0.26 G+A/90, transfermarkt position listed as right wing.

Reactions: Kjbert
I know something: Velez 670 is a radio station. Fernandez is 19, playing for the team currently in 26th place of 28 in Argentina first division. Two years, 45 games, 0.26 G+A/90, transfermarkt position listed as right wing.

sounds like the next dimaria to me. sign him up!

on twitter there are conflicting reports. some say the fee is 5M others saying its 6.5M. USD. but some saying that velez keeps 15% of sell on rights, others say its for full sell on rights an velez keeps nothing.

Well, this is what we've been asking the team to do. It's way too late - at least for 2023. But glad to see they still out there working for us and grabbing up talent.

This guy seems raw but promising. Argentine U-20 for the team that failed to qualify for the WC, and then not in the team that got to play anyway. Not a full time starter for his team and was held out of a game yesterday for unannounced reasons. Left footed right winger, just like Gabby.

This fills a need. It's a good signing. We need more to come.

It's annoying that they screwed this season over so badly that they now have an excuse not to try to fix it, but here we are.
I think there was a quote somewhere where Lee said you get much better talent during the summer window. Basically admits that he just punted the first half of the year (and went all in on Talles being the 9 which was a flop) and is now buying for next year.

Unfortunately this means that this year was a total wash. The only thing left to be decided is whether they make the playoffs - and if they don’t, whether Nick gets canned.

Yeah, I don't like it. Pretty sure its been mentioned before, but this team really needs someone that has Maxi's experience and influence. Its great that we've gotten younger, but it just feels like this team is really lacking that sort of veteran presence.

agree. we need some veteran experience and creativity in the middle of the field. someone just out of their prime would be ideal. the glaring problem is we don't have the DP position open to get that kind of player. we'd be very lucky to get someone like that on a non-DP contract.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
Anyone remember how much TAM/GAM we acquired in the winter and first half of the season? Seemed like it pointed to an exciting summer, not this...

Yeah, I don't like it. Pretty sure its been mentioned before, but this team really needs someone that has Maxi's experience and influence. Its great that we've gotten younger, but it just feels like this team is really lacking that sort of veteran presence.
Yeah, if only there was another Argentine player with U20 World Cup experience, played in Europe, and wanted to come to MLS...

It's a 29-team league. We won our first championship in year 7. That's pretty damn good.

There are probably 20 teams in MLS that would sign up for our last 8 seasons, this year included.

If this season is our nadir (and I think it's reasonable to believe it is), that's pretty good. Some of this league's most historic teams have had worse years than this including D.C. United, LA Galaxy, and Toronto FC. Atlanta had a terrible two seasons, and they came into the league like gangbusters. Sporting KC has been trash lately.

If this is as bad as it gets, we're incredibly lucky. Some of our fans are coming off as incredibly entitled this season. Every single team in this league goes through a season like this -- most go through multiple seasons like this. It's the harsh reality of a salary-capped league. No team can stay top forever. This isn't England.

I mean, we should be entitled. Otherwise, why bother with all the warts of CFG?