2023 Roster and Transfer Discussion Thread

Which positions do you think need a new signing?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Center back

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Left back

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Right back

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Defensive Midfielder

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Midfielder (standard)

• Attacking Midfielder

• Striker (forward)

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Left Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Right Winger

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bakrar
Risa
Fernandez
Moralez
(Not to mention Perea, Martinez, Baiera)

Honest question: If the Maxi move comes thru, how do we feel about Lee now?

Reactions: Kjbert
Bakrar
Risa
Fernandez
Moralez
(Not to mention Perea, Martinez, Baiera)

I am still unhappy with him, this is all too slow and too late. We punted nearly the entire season by having massive holes in the roster. There is no excuse for any of this to have taken so long. By the time any of these guys adjust to the league, learn our system and get their footing the season will be over. With this team's talent and resources, we should never be in 13th place in the East. The team was not constructed to win and that is on Lee.

I am still unhappy with him, this is all too slow and too late. We punted nearly the entire season by having massive holes in the roster. There is no excuse for any of this to have taken so long. By the time any of these guys adjust to the league, learn our system and get their footing the season will be over. With this team's talent and resources, we should never be in 13th place in the East. The team was not constructed to win and that is on Lee.
Agreed. We have 10 games left to sneak into the playoffs, maybe host the wild card game. That's not how the last 7 years have been like or how this club should be seen.

David Lee doesn’t shop in the winter. He shops in the summer and we got a punted year because of it.

Why can’t they just admit that “yeah we realized that we didn’t have the squad we wanted so are making these changes and resetting for next year.”

I’m not as harsh as some others but agree that a good summer window does not erase a bad 70% of the season. Even if we go on a stellar run, 24 games is a lot of bad to sit through.
OTOH, I’m also not forgetting forgetting how Lee contributed to 2021 either.
Also, way too early to judge this window even as a standalone unit. I have no idea how good any of these guys are, outside of Maxi.

I am enjoying the whole “Year of the Prodigal Son” vibe to 2023 if Maxi comes back.
I wonder if “come to MLS and play against Messi” is a real factor across MLS this summer.

Last edited:
To me what's disappointing is that we've shown in past years that we don't need a talisman CF, we can have goals scored from all over the place. There was that one season where no one was even challenging for the golden boot, yet we had one of the highest GF in the league. The fact we can't replicate that now is what disappoints me. Maybe it's a matter of time but I feel like we've had enough time with this squad without that happening...

I have two questions,

1) is there a time where the Transfer Window closes (i.e. MLB window closed at 6 yesterday). It appears it's 8pm for roster complaince back in February.

2) If Maxi is out of contract, would he need to be annoucned during by today? So maybe they are working on the Alonso Martinez deal that DeGrozz posted.
Major League Soccer will have two transfer windows during the 2023 season.
  • Primary Transfer Window (2023): Tuesday, January 31 to Monday, April 24
  • Secondary Transfer Window (2023): Wednesday, July 5 to Wednesday, August 2
During these registration windows, MLS clubs may request the International Transfer Certificate (ITC) of a player under contract in another country. While deals may be agreed upon outside the below windows, the transfer and receipt of an ITC are required in order to officially add a player to a roster, thus making him eligible for official competitions.

i had to use google translate for this message and the underllined text made me laugh:

EXCL: Alonso Martínez will go on loan to New York City, a club that belongs to the City Football Group, owners of his signing. 🇺🇸🇨🇷 This week the club announced the signing of the Argentine jewel, Julian Fernandez, from Vélez for more than $ 5 million dollars and the sale of Taty Castellanos for 15 million to Lazio. The Tico in the month of September would face who for many is the best player in history, Lionel Messi.

So he is a Folk singer from Alaska who used to sleep in his car?

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
I have two questions,

1) is there a time where the Transfer Window closes (i.e. MLB window closed at 6 yesterday). It appears it's 8pm for roster complaince back in February.

2) If Maxi is out of contract, would he need to be annoucned during by today? So maybe they are working on the Alonso Martinez deal that DeGrozz posted.
During these registration windows, MLS clubs may request the International Transfer Certificate (ITC) of a player under contract in another country. While deals may be agreed upon outside the below windows, the transfer and receipt of an ITC are required in order to officially add a player to a roster, thus making him eligible for official competitions.

The transfer window closes tonight at 1am ET (midnight CT). But that only applies to transfers. Free agents can be signed at any point. Since Maxi terminated his contract at Racing, he's officially a free agent and does not have to be done by tonight. Alonso would have to be closed by tonight, but can be announced by the team whenever they see fit.

Reactions: Schwallacus
The transfer window closes tonight at 1am ET (midnight CT). But that only applies to transfers. Free agents can be signed at any point. Since Maxi terminated his contract at Racing, he's officially a free agent and does not have to be done by tonight. Alonso would have to be closed by tonight, but can be announced by the team whenever they see fit.
Thank you .

I have two questions,

1) Transfer window closes at 1 AM ET (Midnight CT which is USSF headquarters in Chicago)

2) Roster freeze date is September 15. So any non-transfer signings must be done by then.

Reactions: Kjbert and Joe_Cos