Alleged Sexual Harassment at NYCFC

That’s really disappointing. I’m glad the club actually followed through with an Independent investigation and found there was wrongdoing. It just sucks that there was in fact wrongdoing and someone’s life was impacted.

Agreed on this. It's just so disappointing to hear that David Villa did this. And I agree with a previous poster that David Villa should not be remembered as fondly here now that we know this to be true. Just so disappointing on so many levels. My best wishes to the lady who was harassed. There should be no room in any organization for anything like what happened.

Reactions: Kenny and NYCFC_Dan
I don't think it's hard to suppose knowing that NYCFC is very risk-adverse in their PR and that the victim did not comment to ESPN that some type of settlement was reached.

I noted this on Twitter, but I find it terribly disappointing that the club hasn't made any *public* statement on this at all. Yes, they provided a statement to a select few media sources, but they haven't put anything out on any of their social media channels, haven't addressed it via any press conference, and haven't published any statement on their website.

Reactions: danger and joe
Props to The Outfield for raising the question at the post-game press conference. Not as if Ronny was ever going to be able to give the definitive answer on the subject*, but the front office didn't put anyone else up, so who else was gonna field it? I'm sure the FO is ruing the day they ever agreed to let you into those!

*His answer wasn't exactly a model of progressive thinking on the topic

Reactions: Keith Putnam
I'm not sure I fault Deila for stating that he couldn't really answer the question (I'm not sure, given the tech problems throughout the interview, that he even caught the part of the question about what changes do you see now, as opposed to investigation of the underlying incident) because the statement from NYCFC had more to do with changes the procedures for reporting misconduct and changes to training/onboarding, not anything within his role or purview. But I also appreciate the Outfield asking, given that there has not been any other opportunity to ask other NYCFC personnel about it.

The playoffs will be national broadcasts so I suppose there won't be any obvious opportunities for someone like Ian Joy/Joe Tolleson/Glenn Crooks/etc to ask about it, but to me, if you're given the opportunity to interview Sims, you have to ask about it

Reactions: 413Blue
My issue with Deila’s answer lies with NYCFC’s lack of action. If they did in fact do something to ensure it doesn’t happen again then Deila would of gone through that training as well and could answer that question with some substance. He could comment on the training staff and players have been put through to ensure something like that doesn’t happen again. I can’t blame Deila if the club did not act on anything and provide him with some sort of training because he did show up after the fact.

Reactions: danger
We're probably mostly in agreement so I don't want to parse it too much, but I'm not sure there club has actually done anything yet, other than supposedly discipline the one person still with the club who "participated in the conduct" without "specify[ing] the nature of the punishment." Here's the relevant tidbit from the ESPN article, which I think is quoting wholesale from the NYCFC statement:

"The Club is the process of implementing a series of changes within the organization aimed at ensuring that such behavior does not occur in the future, including: enhancing reporting processes for victims of misconduct; instituting enhanced education and awareness training on harassment and workplace conduct for all staff, including interns; improving the onboarding and training process for interns; and instituting clear protocols for investigating workplace misconduct."​

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
It was a fair question to ask of Deila, and a fair way for him to answer it. He's not the one responsible for ensuring something like this never happens again. When it comes to this sort of incident, he's middle management. Brad Sims is the one who needs to answer those questions.

I read the article. Like I said in my previous post this is absolutely not the type of publicity we need.
The club has a series of embarrassing shit happening and idk how much wind Claudio had of this but I don't blame him for gtfo after he got his kid out of CFG if he had an inkling this kind of shit was happening without being able to do anything.
Anyone involved or who was in a leadership position to stop it, help her and provide a safe and professional workplace for everyone still at the club has to be terminated.
Fucking embarrassing.
Shit like this makes it hard to support the team.
Our choking in the playoffs doesn't even bother me.
I guess considering the owners we sold our souls to the devil and I know it happens too often in male dominated environments but this is way worse than our playoffs fuckups.
I also hope no one from the forums tweeted threateningly or aggressively to her. We should be better than this.

Last edited:
now that details are out there from a news outlet, this has to hurt the stadium progress right? i mean im sure NIMBYS were gonna pop up at some point but now there is more to go against giving CFG plan.

i wonder if this was why CEO kept getting changed around. and finally will villa get any negative rep from this? i dont think anyone really has asked him or QBFC about this.

First of all, that article is horrifying. Shame on NYCFC.

Second of all, on the Keaton part. I've been involved in sports journalism before so I have a little inside knowledge of these postgame interviews. There are fairly strict guidelines on postgame interviews -- they are supposed to remain on-topic to the game. There are multiple reasons for that: No. 1, the players are still hot after losing and getting eliminated from the playoffs, so they're not going to give you a good answer to anything, much less a story like this. And No. 2, the writers are all on deadline and don't have time to sift through non-game related stuff. If you have a non-game related question, you're supposed to ask at practice day or you can try to do it offline and not in the larger group.

The problem when it comes to NYCFC is that they never make players available aside from the mandated postgame or pregame group sessions, so if you wanted to ask Keaton about this, your only chance was in this postgame interview. Still, it's an incredibly tough spot to put Keaton in, and a borderline unfair question to ask in that moment because of the situation. He just had his season ended in the most surreal of circumstances. He's not going to give you a good answer in that moment. I get that you're between a rock and a hard place because the team is never going to allow you to ask the players about it except in these postgame sessions. So it becomes really tough. But I don't think it's a good spot to put Keaton in, and I think publishing the exchange is exceedingly harsh on Keaton. The guy doesn't want to give an answer in that moment because he just got eliminated from the playoffs. It's not really a dodge, he knows that he's not in the mental place to go there after just getting eliminated from the playoffs.

now that details are out there from a news outlet, this has to hurt the stadium progress right? i mean im sure NIMBYS were gonna pop up at some point but now there is more to go against giving CFG plan.

i wonder if this was why CEO kept getting changed around. and finally will villa get any negative rep from this? i dont think anyone really has asked him or QBFC about this.

It will have zero impact on the stadium, and tbh it's a bit weird for that to be on your list of concerns.

Would be amazed if this ever reached CEO level (the article suggests this was never handled/escalated properly or even taken seriously by club staff) so that's also not an issue.

I think QBFC will and should face some awkward questions about it, although I doubt it moves the needle on what is already such a small fry project.

I think any chance of Villa becoming part of the NYCFC furniture/having club legend status (statue, guest appearances etc) is dead in the water. As someone who loved the guy while he was here, this couldn't have been more disappointing to read. I personally wouldn't welcome him back off the back of the article.

The club now has a very awkward situation on its hands with Mervyn Pamplona, and it doesn't look like they did much to address it before this article came out.

Lastly, I'm incredibly impressed with the guts it took for Badillo to turn down a CFG settlement and speak out instead. That takes courage.

It will have zero impact on the stadium, and tbh it's a bit weird for that to be on your list of concerns.

Would be amazed if this ever reached CEO level (the article suggests this was never handled/escalated properly or even taken seriously by club staff) so that's also not an issue.

I think QBFC will and should face some awkward questions about it, although I doubt it moves the needle on what is already such a small fry project.

I think any chance of Villa becoming part of the NYCFC furniture/having club legend status (statue, guest appearances etc) is dead in the water. As someone who loved the guy while he was here, this couldn't have been more disappointing to read. I personally wouldn't welcome him back off the back of the article.

The club now has a very awkward situation on its hands with Mervyn Pamplona, and it doesn't look like they did much to address it before this article came out.

Lastly, I'm incredibly impressed with the guts it took for Badillo to turn down a CFG settlement and speak out instead. That takes courage.

i dont know i just think any negative news will be brought back to light ( big or small) as im sure the whole human rights issues back in UAE with CFG ownership will be brought back at some point. and anything ( especially here in nyc) can get ball rolling and end up killing projects.