Away - 06/10 SKC

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's has to be talking about players. Why are people parsing this looking for obscure insults like Jesse Marsch would? It's an MLS lifer throwing cover for another MLS lifer and respected former rival. He hasn't thought about NYCFC's trajectory, he doesn't care, and probably hasn't even looked at our film until recently to prep for the game. He has no idea who the assistant coaches or trainers are and doesn't care. He's basically saying the foreign players we brought in this year are better fits for the league than the ones we had last year as a way to defend Kreis because it's the kind of thing you can say when you don't know what you're talking about. He probably couldn't even go down the player lists to explain his statement without being prompted with names. Who cares? If Vieira thinks of this as an insult I think less of Vieira.
I agree with you -- Vieira is probably asking, "Vermes who?"

Edit: Actually PV probably doesn't even care that much.

Never said I was looking for obscure insults, was just trying to understand.

In the MLS article, the quote about personnel changes seems to be linked to either a) being from/knowing MLS, or b) surrounding yourself with people from MLS.

Maybe he is talking about players, but I thought using the word personnel was an odd choice. That's why I asked if there were any other articles reporting it, since the quotes are heavily excerpted
Sorry that I made it sound like I was picking on you; I got that vibe from a series of posts.

Reactions: danger
A point would be great.

Three would be unbelievable and put the team in the supporters shield conversation.

Zero would be not be the end of the world, nobody wins them all, especially considering the short turnaround.

Third game in 8 days, which doesn't happen again this year.
On the road.
Moderately above-average opponent, and
It's hard to sustain long win streaks.

OTOH I'm not fully content to take whatever comes, because...
We probably have to win at least 2-3 more road games, and
SKC has the second worst home record of our remaining road opponents. If this were any other week we would be pointing to this as one of the road games we should win.

So I agree losing isn't a disaster and a draw should be acceptable but I really hope Ulrich Ulrich is right!

Third game in 8 days, which doesn't happen again this year.
On the road.
Moderately above-average opponent, and
It's hard to sustain long win streaks.

OTOH I'm not fully content to take whatever comes, because...
We probably have to win at least 2-3 more road games, and
SKC has the second worst home record of our remaining road opponents. If this were any other week we would be pointing to this as one of the road games we should win.

So I agree losing isn't a disaster and a draw should be acceptable but I really hope Ulrich Ulrich is right!
Everything you said is correct about the schedule and opponent. My rationale is that the team has a full week off after this and can recover from a maximum effort on Sunday - the veterans know that the difference in 3pts vs 1pt is huge - and as such will empty the tanks to grab the win. For them, this week is no different than regular season/cup duty in Europe and/or national team tournament duty. For the younger guys, they'll follow the example set, plus whereas the AARP guys will rely on mental tenacity to will their bodies through battle, the younger players' bodies can handle the load a bit better.

And while not every East team will likely drop points this weekend, putting an additional 3pts on those that do will begin to have a psychological effect since it'll be 2-3 extra wins to claw us back... For the teams that win, they'll be left asking what more can they do since winning is only maintaining the status quo.

I think we redline the engines and throw the kitchen sink at SKC and get towed back to NYC with the W

Reactions: adam and Goodfella
Everything you said is correct about the schedule and opponent. My rationale is that the team has a full week off after this and can recover from a maximum effort on Sunday - the veterans know that the difference in 3pts vs 1pt is huge - and as such will empty the tanks to grab the win. For them, this week is no different than regular season/cup duty in Europe and/or national team tournament duty. For the younger guys, they'll follow the example set, plus whereas the AARP guys will rely on mental tenacity to will their bodies through battle, the younger players' bodies can handle the load a bit better.

And while not every East team will likely drop points this weekend, putting an additional 3pts on those that do will begin to have a psychological effect since it'll be 2-3 extra wins to claw us back... For the teams that win, they'll be left asking what more can they do since winning is only maintaining the status quo.

I think we redline the engines and throw the kitchen sink at SKC and get towed back to NYC with the W
There's logic there, and you basically put the meat on the skeleton of my rationale for why we should win.
I also agree that the upside of 3pts in this specific game is bigger than normal, and also bigger than the downside of losing.

I support the idea of building as big a stack as possible in order to allow yourself the ability to later survive bad beats, misplayed hands or unavoidable coolers. Never miss an opportunity to accumulate more chips. #WSOPenvy

I support the idea of building as big a stack as possible in order to allow yourself the ability to later survive bad beats, misplayed hands or unavoidable coolers. Never miss an opportunity to accumulate more chips. #WSOPenvy
As in, bad City Beats?

Reactions: adam and JayH
Will we see Hernandez-Mena? If only RJ would play center back our defense line would be H.A.M.M.

Here is the injury report for New York City FC at Sporting KC:

New York City FC

• Steven Mendoza - OUT
  • Connor Brandt - OUT
  • Frederic Brillant - QUESTIONABLE
  • Ethan White - QUESTIONABLE
Sporting Kansas City

• Nuno Coelho - QUESTIONABLE
  • Chance Myers - QUESTIONABLE
  • Paulo Nagamura - QUESTIONABLE

Guess it depends how we get that 1pt will result in how satisfying it is. If we score early and give up the equalizer towards the tail end of the game, I'll have a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the week.

If the scenario was vice versa, then yes, I'll take the point :)

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski
Will we see Hernandez-Mena? If only RJ would play center back our defense line would be H.A.M.M.

Here is the injury report for New York City FC at Sporting KC:

New York City FC

• Steven Mendoza - OUT
  • Connor Brandt - OUT
  • Frederic Brillant - QUESTIONABLE
  • Ethan White - QUESTIONABLE
Sporting Kansas City

• Nuno Coelho - QUESTIONABLE
  • Chance Myers - QUESTIONABLE
  • Paulo Nagamura - QUESTIONABLE
Finally got some clarification on Mendoza's injury: Athletic Pubalgia (aka sports hernia)

Brillant is a hamstring pull

White is Pubis Symphysis Irritation (pelvic inflamation)

Status
Not open for further replies.