Away - 10/02 Dc United

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a tropical storm heading right for the East Coast, weather may play a big factor in Friday night's game, in several respects. I figured we could use a dedicated thread for weather related news, issues, thoughts and information. Will the weather affect supporter travel to DC (delays, traffic, closures)? Is it possible the game will be cancelled? Any knowledge on MLS's rules and tendencies with respect to cancelling games? Assuming it's not cancelled (please no), any thoughts on how the weather affects our chances for success, lineup, formation, strategy, etc.? [Disclaimer: at the moment, the storm is not one that currently is threatening lives and property, and the purpose of this thread is not to be insensitive if it evolves into a more dangerous event which, of course, trumps soccer.]

I really hope it just blows somewhere else! That's going to be my first away game! ugh ....

As of right now the hurricane models have no freaking clue where the storm will go. If you check the models, one has it going right over NY and another has it blowing east back into the ocean. Usually they are somewhat consistent.

I guess we'll find out if Pirlo can do it on a cold rainy night in DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JayH
Why don't we liberate Angelino and let him play winger. Just don't think he should be burdened with too much defense responsibility which he is not great at. But he adds tremendous value as an attacking winger. Without the worry for being caught too high, he can give 5-7 fatal crosses every game which lampard and villa can capitalize on at least a third of those good chances. It's time to put Angelino as a left midfielder/winger, replacing Grabavoy who hesitates too much and who is technically mediocre, wasting too many chances created by Pirlo.

Where does he get the reputation as a bad defender from? He was the only one who even went with Waston on the wrong PK call, the rest of the defense was flat footed at the top of the 18. Other than his obviou sPK a few weeks ago, I think he's been decent.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
DC is going to miss Birnbaum and they have definitely had trouble scoring goals this year. Even when they were at the top of the Supporters Shield race I didn't think they looked that good.

My prediction is 2-1 NYCFC in a mild upset.

Where does he get the reputation as a bad defender from? He was the only one who even went with Waston on the wrong PK call, the rest of the defense was flat footed at the top of the 18. Other than his obviou sPK a few weeks ago, I think he's been decent.

No idea, man. I guess it's just that he's so much better for us as a winger that people translate that to being a bad defender.

The Washington Post has an article up speculating as to whether Friday's game might be postponed. Heavy rain and wind is forecast, and this is ahead of the arrival of Hurricane Joaquin, which is not expected to be anywhere nearby before Sunday morning.

With more heavy rain expected this week, D.C. United and MLS will monitor weather conditions ahead of Friday night’s match between United and New York City FC at RFK Stadium.

Stadium crews will cover the field to protect against possible water build-up and damage, United spokesman Craig Stouffer said Wednesday.

Severe weather and, separately, the approach of Hurricane Joaquin threaten to drop several inches of rain between Friday and Sunday. Lighter bands of rain are possible Wednesday and Thursday.

The MLS match is scheduled to kick off a few minutes after 7 p.m. Friday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tch-at-rfk-stadium/?postshare=671443626399346

The Washington Post has an article up speculating as to whether Friday's game might be postponed. Heavy rain and wind is forecast, and this is ahead of the arrival of Hurricane Joaquin, which is not expected to be anywhere nearby before Sunday morning.

With more heavy rain expected this week, D.C. United and MLS will monitor weather conditions ahead of Friday night’s match between United and New York City FC at RFK Stadium.

Stadium crews will cover the field to protect against possible water build-up and damage, United spokesman Craig Stouffer said Wednesday.

Severe weather and, separately, the approach of Hurricane Joaquin threaten to drop several inches of rain between Friday and Sunday. Lighter bands of rain are possible Wednesday and Thursday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tch-at-rfk-stadium/?postshare=671443626399346

hope it doesnt get delayed but the safety comes first, i assume if its postponed it will be postponed till next week as its a FIFA week. not ideal but all that is left.

It's not a hurricane, it's just D.C.'s shit-storm of a season finally making landfall Friday night when they stretch their winless streak to 7 games (of 9). That thunder you hear is just Pirlo smacking balls into the box, and the lightning is Villa's neon yellow boot putting it in the net.

Anyways, maybe if it's rescheduled for something other than a Friday it won't be on Unimas?!?

If it's moved to a different day, I pray its not on Unimas. I can't stand listening to them.

We already have a thread about weather for this game, plus the weather is being discussed in the main match thread, which is really all we need.
http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/any-mudders-on-this-team-the-rain-thread.3768/
http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/away-10-02-dc-united.3760/

It's not a hurricane, it's just D.C.'s shit-storm of a season finally making landfall Friday night when they stretch their winless streak to 7 games (of 9). That thunder you hear is just Pirlo smacking balls into the box, and the lightning is Villa's neon yellow boot putting it in the net.

Anyways, maybe if it's rescheduled for something other than a Friday it won't be on Unimas?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LionNYC and The Toe

Which means no Mix and no Pirlo

If the game were to be postponed it should also be noted DC United will likely be without Alvaro Saborio (Costa Rica play the US on the 13th) and Markus Halsti (Finland play N Ireland Oct 11th)

I didn't think he was good in the game he played at winger. He seems perfectly suited for an attacking fullback. Plays good defense, and sneaks in at the right time.
why have him sneak in from time to time while we can have him attack all the time keeping crossing like he did it so well so many times? we just need to figure out defense situation better, with or without him, our defense is still not great

If it's pushed to Oct 9-11, we could miss Mix.

The forecast is actually worse here in NY, where we could get 2-3" of rain Friday and Friday night and winds blowing 20-30 mph. DC is currently forecast at about half the rain and wind.

Reactions: Tony L
The US played Costa Rica is a snowstorm. I'm sure MLS would allow NYCFC to play DC is a little rain storm. Grow some balls Don Garber.

The US played Costa Rica is a snowstorm. I'm sure MLS would allow NYCFC to play DC is a little rain storm. Grow some balls Don Garber.
WB2pc3n.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.