Calling All Supporters - Opinions On Forum

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
As we get closer to 2015 things will really pick up here and it's pretty awesome to think this could be the biggest NYCFC community.
We will definitely see a big influx of members with an increase of news after the World Cup.
With that said I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on what direction you want this forum to head in.
It was important for me to establish a memberbase and activity before making any major decisions. I would like everyone's opinion and please, be honest, it will only help us going forward.

I do not understand the question. Isn't the point of a forum to provide a place for people to discuss their opinions on a specific topic or where like minded people can come to debate something? I think the forum is perfect the way it is, minus the trolling and ill will. Do you have an opinion as to the direction you would like to take the forum? If I get an idea about that you are thinking, maybe it will allow me to understand your view a little better.

as a forum, it (the forum)should be an outlet for all things city (tryna make it work). Even if its not directly city related. For instance, if N.E fans want to come here and input their opinions about The Red Shite (tryna make it work) they should. We all have a common enemy

CP_Scouse CP_Scouse I can see your point, but I have to disagree somewhat. The focus of this forum should be NYCFC driven, not hating on other team driven. If anyone wants to voice their opinion on how poorly this or that player performed in a match, that is understandable, but the focus of the forum should be a positive one and not a negative one.

The intention of the post is simply to get input as to what we are doing right/wrong. Should we add anything or get rid of something and so on.

Well the MLS discussion is up to you guys. We can't force members to talk MLS. It's the only league with a dedicated section so I feel like we are doing our part.
As far as World Cup is concerned I was considering it but we haven't had that much interest in the discussion and it seems like most people are too busy watching the game.
Perhaps a chat box?

I think as the forum grows it will continue to take a life of its own. As long as you guys (Admins, Mods) continue policing when policing is needed I think the forums are doing pretty well. Perhaps promoting it more as the place to go for NYCFC news and discussion or creating a blog and enlisting interested members to submit articles on a rotating basis.

EDIT: Perhaps some stimulating conversation can arise from threads based off of the blog posts.

I think as the forum grows it will continue to take a life of its own. As long as you guys (Admins, Mods) continue policing when policing is needed I think the forums are doing pretty well. Perhaps promoting it more as the place to go for NYCFC news and discussion or creating a blog and enlisting interested members to submit articles on a rotating basis.

EDIT: Perhaps some stimulating conversation can arise from threads based off of the blog posts.

I tried the blog thing and no one was interested :/
Multiple people contacted me but never submitted articles.
I'd love to get a blog going

I tried the blog thing and no one was interested :/
Multiple people contacted me but never submitted articles.
I'd love to get a blog going

Me too! I would love to help. I´ve been thinking about a blog in portuguese regarding NYCFC however I put a hold on that because I don´t think that will have a good feedback yet, maybe in the future. But in english I think it will be a good thing right now.

Not having brains enough to contribute to a blog, I would imagine as we get closer to March 2015 things will begin to heat up. Without a full team, kit, game day experience, match results, road trips, etc there's really not much to go on right now.

For me, there are way to many non-soccer related threads. Focus of the site should be: #1 NYCFC and #2 Soccer. That's it. Yes, you want some off topic threads for people to discuss during the slow days, but that shouldn't be focal point and the section should be at the way way way bottom of the site.

Also, get rid of the warzone. Its a turn off for me and many others who use/would use the site.

Finally, and most importantly, disparaging other fans should be a bannable offense. That means, if you post something implying Man United fans (or anybody else) have no place among NYCFC supporters, you are gone. If you post something implying someone's method of support is inferior, you are gone. There is no reason this website should be brought down by the crap that has been posted over the last few weeks.

Really not following with the off-topic comment. Should we not have a general discussion board? Besides that section everything else is Football related and that section only has 500 posts out of nearly 13500.
Nothing in that section is a focal point. Just random threads, most discussed being GOT.
Unless I'm not understanding your statement.

We have significantly curbed those threads in the Warzone and are trying to make it more debate friendly. We are discussing our next step with that section ATM and I'll do that Offtopic move tonight after work.
Appreciate the feedback!

Really not following with the off-topic comment. Should we not have a general discussion board? Besides that section everything else is Football related and that section only has 500 posts out of nearly 13500.
Nothing in that section is a focal point. Just random threads, most discussed being GOT.
Unless I'm not understanding your statement.

We have significantly curbed those threads in the Warzone and are trying to make it more debate friendly. We are discussing our next step with that section ATsind I'll do that Offtopic move tonight after work.
Appreciate the feedback!
I guess what I was really getting at is that the focal point of this site seems to be the Warzone rather than the football. Obviously, people post what they want. But I feel like their are ways to encourage a different focus. Namely, i think the off-topc and warzone section should be moved to the bottom, and the general football section towards the top. I feel like there would be a bump in threads like the World Cup Thread if they were displayed higher up.

Regardless, this may be just my feeling and not representative of how others view the site. For me, there is too much focus on non-football.

The warzone topic has been beaten to death and I will resrve judgement until you guys make a final decision about how to proceed. But in its current form I think it does not add to the site, and probably definitely takes away from it

I hear what you're saying but we don't push or focus anything. People choose to go to those sections. If you go and read through the Warzone it's a very small percentage if our users that post there.
I'd agree if we had a highlighted threads scroller and those threads were highlighted on the home page but we don't. We don't force anything upon anyone so I don't think the statement that there is a "focus" on these threads is accurate. Especially since we closed a majority of them.
I regularly tweet out threads from our NYCFC sections and have never tweeted out a thread from these.

I've said it numerous times that I personally don't visit that section unless something is reported.

I hear what you're saying but we don't push or focus anything. People choose to go to those sections. If you go and read through the Warzone it's a very small percentage if our users that post there.
I'd agree if we had a highlighted threads scroller and those threads were highlighted on the home page but we don't. We don't force anything upon anyone so I don't think the statement that there is a "focus" on these threads is accurate. Especially since we closed a majority of them.
I regularly tweet out threads from our NYCFC sections and have never tweeted out a thread from these.

I've said it numerous times that I personally don't visit that section unless something is reported.
Its above General Footbal Discussion on the front page, which means people see it before they see football. That is promotion, maybe unintentional, but it is in prime real estate and more likely to be seen.

Honestly, the fact that General Football Discussion comes below Introductions, Off Topic, The Warzone, Other Sports (OTHER SPORTS!!!) and Competitions is absolutely baffling to me.

I agree with MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity We should reorganize the frontpage.

Welcome Desk
-Terms, Guidelines
-Introductions
-Forum Competitions
--Season Ticket Comps

NYCFC Discussions
-Official Team News
-Sporting Rumors (or similarly named. I think there is a gray area between Team News and Rumors, Supporters Den.)

Supporters Den (remove Forum Comps.)
-General Supporter Ramblings (find a better name!)
-Third Rail Supporters Group Official
-Supporters Factions

General Soccer / Football Discussion
-Major League Soccer
-Association Football (ie Concacaf, FIFA, UEFA)
-Other Leagues (EPL, Liga MX, Bundesliga etc)

CFG Partners
-General Discussion
-MCFC Forums
-MelC Forum

6 (optional)
-offtopic -- -- this will absorb OTHER SPORTS section as well
-debate desk (former warzone)

Administrative (former Front Office)
-Forum News
-Support Desk
-Staff News
-Disposal

Even if we tried this format out for 2 weeks, I think we'll see a positive change in the overall atmosphere. I think this reorganization will promote more users to use the INTRODUCTION feature, which will allow us to really tie this community together. It will promote sporting discussion. It will bring together our CFG brother and sisters. And at the end of the line, we can all argue about how stupid we all are.

I agree with MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity We should reorganize the frontpage.

Welcome Desk
-Terms, Guidelines
-Introductions
-Forum Competitions
--Season Ticket Comps

NYCFC Discussions
-Official Team News
-Sporting Rumors (or similarly named. I think there is a gray area between Team News and Rumors, Supporters Den.)

Supporters Den (remove Forum Comps.)
-General Supporter Ramblings (find a better name!)
-Third Rail Supporters Group Official
-Supporters Factions

General Soccer / Football Discussion
-Major League Soccer
-Association Football (ie Concacaf, FIFA, UEFA)
-Other Leagues (EPL, Liga MX, Bundesliga etc)

CFG Partners
-General Discussion
-MCFC Forums
-MelC Forum

6 (optional)
-offtopic -- -- this will absorb OTHER SPORTS section as well
-debate desk (former warzone)

Administrative (former Front Office)
-Forum News
-Support Desk
-Staff News
-Disposal

Even if we tried this format out for 2 weeks, I think we'll see a positive change in the overall atmosphere. I think this reorganization will promote more users to use the INTRODUCTION feature, which will allow us to really tie this community together. It will promote sporting discussion. It will bring together our CFG brother and sisters. And at the end of the line, we can all argue about how stupid we all are.
Finally someone gets it. I thought I was losing my mind. Thank you Mr. Einwindir.

einwindir einwindir & MyBoyVilla MyBoyCity are spot on and I have said it for weeks, ( NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan )

With this format though is there any need for a debate desk at all.
The major topics are all covered in the boards so threads can be attached to a headline topic, and the debate naturally happens.
Off topic is off topic, the debates will be there without the need for a debate desk.

Personally I will probably read the NYCFC sections and the CFG sections because they are what interests me. The Supporters Section will probably be of more interest to those in NYC who will be able to attend far more games than I can, I will probably only make one or two per season if I am lucky)

Love the suggested format.

Finally, and most importantly, disparaging other fans should be a bannable offense. That means, if you post something implying Man United fans (or anybody else) have no place among NYCFC supporters, you are gone. If you post something implying someone's method of support is inferior, you are gone. There is no reason this website should be brought down by the crap that has been posted over the last few weeks.

& I wouldn't worry about that mate, we all know that a staunch United fan, with real pride & passion (& a knowledge of history) for them would never want to associate themselves with a CFG project in any way shape or form. So we should welcome them, be nice to them and nurture them as future blues.

I want United Fans to be NYCFC's biggest supporters ;)

& I think that the topic has actually been debated to death.