Campeones Cup - September 14 - Atlas (Home)

We were better than in any recent match. They were also pretty bad. But I don’t care about the latter. We looked like we do when we are winning. Our “depth” guys showed up tonight, too, IMHO. Barrazza amd O’Toole were far from liabilities.
We played like a team tonight. Purposeful, organized. We were in control of ourselves and in control of the match all the way.

Loved the fight in the team today. Mentioned it in the chat but Gray has been solid defensively. He didn’t back down from tough challenges and held his own. For all the crap I’ve given him had to state it on here too.
Another trophy, now let’s win the derby!

HISTORIC FIRST INTERNATIONAL TROPHY!

HISTORIC FIRST WIN OVER A LIGA MX CLUB!

Best performance that we've had for a while. Atlas is struggling, but the guys stepped up and took control of this match in the second half.

Maxi was incredible tonight. Barraza did his duty and had a few good saves. I apologize for shit talking him earlier. Callens was a warrior out there. O'Toole looked like he belonged out there.

You know, it's almost like we play better when we're at our home stadium? Weird, huh?

Proud of the guys for earning a second trophy for the cabinet tonight.

This is just the game we needed to try and kick a rhythm back to this team. Saturday's gonna be awesome, wish I could be there!

I like Alex Wingallens or hwatever we wanna call him. So much so, that I even got Chris to tweet about it when i said "Alex Wing? More like Allex W-allens"

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised with O'toole, hope we can show more of that in the future!

HISTORIC FIRST INTERNATIONAL TROPHY!

HISTORIC FIRST WIN OVER A LIGA MX CLUB!

Best performance that we've had for a while. Atlas is struggling, but the guys stepped up and took control of this match in the second half.

Maxi was incredible tonight. Barraza did his duty and had a few good saves. I apologize for shit talking him earlier. Callens was a warrior out there. O'Toole looked like he belonged out there.

You know, it's almost like we play better when we're at our home stadium? Weird, huh?

Proud of the guys for earning a second trophy for the cabinet tonight.
3rd. 3rd trophy. 2021 Eastern conference champions baby!

That was so cathartic. For the fans, for the players, for the club, for everyone.

So much fun tonight -- supporters were rocking even with half the fans from Atlas. Just a blast from start to finish, and so special to see the team win a trophy at home. That's not something you get a chance to be a part of every day. Atlas were dreadful tonight, but we were phenomenal.

Callens is an absolute beast. That guy was all over the pitch. Incredible performance. MOTM for me. O'Toole was fine. Barraza got better as the game went on and made some really nice saves. Got down really fast a few times.

Feels like we needed that night for so many reasons.

Johnson picked up an abrasion on his leg last game -- I remember seeing it on the broadcast -- and that's why he was held out tonight. Sounds like he'll be fine for the Derby.

Now we need to get the win on Saturday, go into the international break with some confidence, and get ready for those last two games.

Callens playing wing back.. Alex wing .. wing callens -> wingallens
Reference to us playing Ring out of position on the left wing for whatever reason all those times. He earned the nickname Wing.
Thanks. I got the Alex R/Wing callback. I missed the Callens connection. For whatever reason I get tripped up when someone refers to Callens as Alex, even though that's his name, or a form of it at least. To me he's Callens or Alexander Collins, but never just Alexander and even less Alex. Any time someone talks about Alex icw NYCFC I'm like "who the hell is Alex" no matter how many times it happens. There's no rational reason for it; it just is. So when I saw the Alex wing-a-ding wordplay I just got lost, but it's pretty simple actually.

• Haha
Reactions: SoupInNYC
You can definitely recognize the quality of Callens watching him play. He just sticks out when on the field and on the ball.
I actually get excited when he steps up and make a run up the middle. Rather than being terrified our CB is that far up the pitch.

Thanks. I got the Alex R/Wing callback. I missed the Callens connection. For whatever reason I get tripped up when someone refers to Callens as Alex, even though that's his name, or a form of it at least. To me he's Callens or Alexander Collins, but never just Alexander and even less Alex. Any time someone talks about Alex icw NYCFC I'm like "who the hell is Alex" no matter how many times it happens. There's no rational reason for it; it just is. So when I saw the Alex wing-a-ding wordplay I just got lost, but it's pretty simple actually.
heh. That's why i wrote "Alex Wingallens" in an attempt to fix that for anyone that wouldn't get it 🤣 but it just doesn't sit right

You can definitely recognize the quality of Callens watching him play. He just sticks out when on the field and on the ball.
I actually get excited when he steps up and make a run up the middle. Rather than being terrified our CB is that far up the pitch.
He almost scored a freakin' goal on a breakaway. Alex Callens. At one point I turned to SoupInNYC SoupInNYC (who i was standing next to) and was like "Should we try Callens as the #9?" LOL