Campeones Cup - September 14 - Atlas (Home)

That was so cathartic. For the fans, for the players, for the club, for everyone.

So much fun tonight -- supporters were rocking even with half the fans from Atlas. Just a blast from start to finish, and so special to see the team win a trophy at home. That's not something you get a chance to be a part of every day. Atlas were dreadful tonight, but we were phenomenal.

Callens is an absolute beast. That guy was all over the pitch. Incredible performance. MOTM for me. O'Toole was fine. Barraza got better as the game went on and made some really nice saves. Got down really fast a few times.

Feels like we needed that night for so many reasons.

Johnson picked up an abrasion on his leg last game -- I remember seeing it on the broadcast -- and that's why he was held out tonight. Sounds like he'll be fine for the Derby.

Now we need to get the win on Saturday, go into the international break with some confidence, and get ready for those last two games.

I loved the crowd. I understand there was a fight and some throwing of stuff on the field but I missed it entirely.
I loved the people who wore NYCFC jerseys and draped or carried Mexican flags.
I loved the ones who wore Atlas Jerseys and Yankee hats.
I loved that for the most part there were no NYCFC or Atlas sections and we were all mixed together and just got along.
I loved how NYCFC subs were announced in English first and Atlas subs in Spanish first.
I loved how most of the Atlas fans in my area stayed for the trophy ceremony.

And yes, wow, the players, the fans, and Cushing and the trainers and the photography/video people and the ball-kids all just needed the release of that win.
It was awesome. I hope never to hear again of anyone demeaning any trophy. Of course, some are more important or harder to win and all that. But they all matter. This Cup is like a very weird tournament where the qualification takes place over 10 months one year and then the final is held 3 seasons later. I don't care. We won.

I loved the crowd. I understand there was a fight and some throwing of stuff on the field but I missed it entirely.
I loved that for the most part there were no NYCFC or Atlas sections and we were all mixed together and just got along.
I loved how NYCFC subs were announced in English first and Atlas subs in Spanish first.

And yes, wow, the players, the fans, and Cushing and the trainers and the photography/video people and the ball-kids all just needed the release of that win.
It was awesome. I hope never to hear again of anyone demeaning any trophy. Of course, some are more important or harder to win and all that. But they all matter. This Cup is like a very weird tournament where the qualification takes place over 10 months one year and then the final is held 3 seasons later. I don't care. We won.

I mentioned to SoupInNYC SoupInNYC (though he might have been too many sheets to the wind) after the game how I was so happy that both fanbases got along well and there weren't any issues.

Yeah there were Atlas supporters where I was in 135, which maybe isn't the best area for opposing supporters, but they were fine. It was honestly just a really fun night to be there. It felt special.

I think had we lost we'd say the trophy didn't matter and had we won we'd say it does matter, but a trophy is a trophy. All I need to see is the way the players celebrated. They celebrated like it mattered, which gives it the air of legitimacy for me.

O'Toole is a handy guy to have around. Very good and very, very versatile. Plus, we stole him from the Red Bulls so he's a massive neener neener.
I don’t want to get too excited about him yet, but that was a surprising strong showing.

I attribute the victory to my pregame purchase of my authentic home jersey with star (yes they were available at the stadium last night and seemingly are nowhere else), and to the rare presence of “my wife who knows nothing about soccer(TM)” who coincidentally recently tinted her hair a lustrous electric blue (as in “New York is”). I dunno what I can pull out of my bag of tricks on Saturday but I will definitely be rocking that star.

I hope this turns into our “Gudi Moment,” though beating RBNJ and eliminating Philly would make everything OK regardless of all else.

Now that I’ve come back down…while I am cautiously optimistic that this victory is just the tonic for a shitty run, I don’t want to delude myself that almost every MLS team isn’t harder to play against than what Atlas showed last night. They failed to take advantage of anything we gave them and we seldom get a wide open counter, the way Maxi did on his goal, in MLS. The Callens goal, on the other hand, was very MLS-y.

Saturday, one way or another, is gonna be a corker. Vamos los Celestes!

I don’t want to get too excited about him yet, but that was a surprising strong showing.

I attribute the victory to my pregame purchase of my authentic home jersey with star (yes they were available at the stadium last night and seemingly are nowhere else), and to the rare presence of “my wife who knows nothing about soccer(TM)” who coincidentally recently tinted her hair a lustrous electric blue (as in “New York is”). I dunno what I can pull out of my bag of tricks on Saturday but I will definitely be rocking that star.

I hope this turns into our “Gudi Moment,” though beating RBNJ and eliminating Philly would make everything OK regardless of all else.

Now that I’ve come back down…while I am cautiously optimistic that this victory is just the tonic for a shitty run, I don’t want to delude myself that almost every MLS team isn’t harder to play against than what Atlas showed last night. They failed to take advantage of anything we gave them and we seldom get a wide open counter, the way Maxi did on his goal, in MLS. The Callens goal, on the other hand, was very MLS-y.

P.s. it just occurred to me that in addition to pulling another trophy ahead of RBNJ, we now have as much actual silverware in our cabinet as The Revs do in 26 years. And we have the one that really matters.

obviously you need to bring your replica MLS cup with you and hold it up as a beacon of power.

• Haha
Reactions: KevinJRogers
For those who watched on television, what did you think of all the chatter between Twellman, Champion and Olsen about the challenges of playing at Yankee Stadium?

I thought it was a frank, thoughtful analysis, and I appreciated it. Twellmen thinks we get a substantial advantage there, and not only because of the pitch size. He said the biggest factor are the reference points when you're on the field. The circular stands make it hard for visiting teams to get their bearings. Apparently, he had a conversation once with David Villa who said he would take advantage of defenders who were off their line or otherwise out of position.

They also gave the view from their booth, which is the same used by baseball announcers - way back behind home plate. They weren't too happy about it.

For those who watched on television, what did you think of all the chatter between Twellman, Champion and Olsen about the challenges of playing at Yankee Stadium?

I thought it was a frank, thoughtful analysis, and I appreciated it. Twellmen thinks we get a substantial advantage there, and not only because of the pitch size. He said the biggest factor are the reference points when you're on the field. The circular stands make it hard for visiting teams to get their bearings. Apparently, he had a conversation once with David Villa who said he would take advantage of defenders who were off their line or otherwise out of position.

They also gave the view from their booth, which is the same used by baseball announcers - way back behind home plate. They weren't too happy about it.

he's gonna love it when the new stadium will have the same shape, sightlines, and seating with the added bonus of no more infield sod.

i thought their commentary on the stadium was fine and valid. but they spent 80% of the game harping on that and only 20% really analyzing the game with extra fluff from ben olsen who is somehow invited to be a backseat commentator at games now?

I've been saying for a while that I thought that's what the "real" problem is for opponents. The field size is small, but legal. It just feels weird with the orientation of the stands. I actually think Citi Field, with the positioning the way it is, isn't as bad for opponents and it's why we're not as good at Citi as we are at YS.

death stares of CAMPEONES!

ec8v1qa8ypspxza0z9os.jpg